Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#491621 - 11/13/07 10:57 AM how much QDM for one man?
Stovepipe
18 Point

Loc: N1549518,E738760

it's only me and eventually my sons on about 250 acres....just how much QDM can I single-handedly direct....do some of ya'll have the help and cooperation of all lease participants? such as the grunt work? Or can I myself with some ideas and a tractor conduct a minimalist QDM effort and have any noticeable success. Right now, the only thing Im doing as pertaining to QDM is trying to shoot about 4 does a year (that's all the meat I need and/or can give away)....and pass up almost every buck....I do few other small things like browse management but that's about it

#491657 - 11/13/07 11:26 AM Re: how much QDM for one man? [Re: Stovepipe]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

You can make a HUGE difference! I know because my hunting partner and I are in a situation very similar to yours. If you want to kill and see mature bucks, then you must let the young bucks walk. You must also harvest plenty of does, by doing this you will limit the quantity of mouths at the dinner table, which in turn allows more food for the rest of the herd. Without knowing your deer density, the lay of the land and what type of available food you already have available, I cant tell you how many acres worth of food plots you need. No matter how much food a property has, if the property does not have areas with very thick cover mature bucks usually will not feel safe there in day light hours. I love the heavy cover because it provides bedding areas and also native browse which deer need.I guess what I am sying is this.. if your property doesn't have thick cover areas, take a chainsaw and make them yourself.By select cutting you will allow more sunlight to an area which will cause the browse to grow much faster and this will also create thick bedding cover. If you can create thick sanctuaries which you do not invade, the mature bucks will feel safe and will frequently bed in these areas. Every bit of my mature buck hunting is done on the outskirts of very thick sanctuaries or very heavy cover.Good luck!

Edited by W.Seay (11/13/07 11:34 AM)

#491673 - 11/13/07 11:41 AM Re: how much QDM for one man? [Re: W.Seay]
kholmes
4 Point

Loc: Nashville

Everything that W.Seay said. My dad and I do all the grunt work ourselves and it has become our hobby in the off season. Nothing more fufilling than enjoying a cold one with pops after a hard days work. Good luck.

Edited by kholmes (11/13/07 11:43 AM)

#491736 - 11/13/07 12:27 PM Re: how much QDM for one man? [Re: kholmes]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Yes you can make a huge difference. Myself and two brothers-in-law do what we can on our place and we don't have a tractor, but it does help. The proof is in the older to mature bucks we see and kill so much more frequently than we used to and those bucks' ever-increasing body weights.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#492049 - 11/13/07 04:17 PM Re: how much QDM for one man? [Re: BSK]
deerchaser007
10 Point

Loc: Bradyville, TN USA

YOU CAN DO IT..............

The main thing to remember is :it ain't gonna happen overnight:,........ it takes years of planning and work. BUT,. you can make a difference. Especially the more neighbors you involve in the program.

#492075 - 11/13/07 04:43 PM Re: how much QDM for one man? [Re: W.Seay]
156p&y
10 Point

Loc: Franklin Tn

Originally Posted By: W.Seay
You can make a HUGE difference! I know because my hunting partner and I are in a situation very similar to yours. If you want to kill and see mature bucks, then you must let the young bucks walk. You must also harvest plenty of does, by doing this you will limit the quantity of mouths at the dinner table, which in turn allows more food for the rest of the herd. Without knowing your deer density, the lay of the land and what type of available food you already have available, I cant tell you how many acres worth of food plots you need. No matter how much food a property has, if the property does not have areas with very thick cover mature bucks usually will not feel safe there in day light hours. I love the heavy cover because it provides bedding areas and also native browse which deer need.I guess what I am sying is this.. if your property doesn't have thick cover areas, take a chainsaw and make them yourself.By select cutting you will allow more sunlight to an area which will cause the browse to grow much faster and this will also create thick bedding cover. If you can create thick sanctuaries which you do not invade, the mature bucks will feel safe and will frequently bed in these areas. Every bit of my mature buck hunting is done on the outskirts of very thick sanctuaries or very heavy cover.Good luck!

That's the truth. I wish we could select cut our place, it's wide open in the woods. I've just been able to set up close to some sanctuaries that are actually thick to catch a couple good deer this year.

You can make a huge difference it's mainly me and one other guy that do 98% of the work on our place yearly. No one else has the time but they help pitch in on cost for fertilizers and seed, actually they pay for almost all that. We just do the work. We've been going over photos of the property to figure out how to produce more thick cover for next season. Almost all of our thick cover is designated in sanctuaries, and we'd like to make bands of thick cover that attach to them for hunting purposes. (and to encourage our mature deer to move during daylight.)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Fish N Hunt, bowednlazy, ULTIMATE TARGETS, Philski, Original Booger
13295 Registered Users
Who's Online
90 registered (doubledownranch, catman529, redheadshooter, LSUtigers, Poser, Gravey, 14 invisible) and 160 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13295 Members
42 Forums
85664 Topics
1035204 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.206 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.