Tndeer Logo

Page 9 of 11 « First<7891011>
Topic Options
#502045 - 11/21/07 11:25 AM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: REN]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

Originally Posted By: BamaBoy N Sumner CO
I will say this, I have had 2 bucks this year get shot by other guys that hunt on the property i hunt on. Each buck i let walk yet they killed it. does it kinda make me mad sure but really how much sense does that make. its not so much that they shot MY deer as it is I know for sure i wont see him next year now. Sure they were nice deer 110-120 class types so i HOPE they see them as absolute monsters (that atleast would help me sleep LOL).

You need to keep your pie hole shut about what you are seeing back there! Maybe I should tell them about the 73 pointer you saw hanging around the barn! \:D

#502058 - 11/21/07 11:31 AM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: fishboy1]
renegade50
16 Point

Loc: tn

Originally Posted By: fishboy1
I will say this, I have had 2 bucks this year get shot by other guys that hunt on the property i hunt on. Each buck i let walk yet they killed it. does it kinda make me mad sure but really how much sense does that make. its not so much that they shot MY deer as it is I know for sure i wont see him next year now. Sure they were nice deer 110-120 class types so i HOPE they see them as absolute monsters (that atleast would help me sleep LOL).

You need to keep your pie hole shut about what you are seeing back there! Maybe I should tell them about the 73 pointer you saw hanging around the barn! \:D
hahahahaaaaa!!!!!!!

a tax paying worker voting for a democrat
is like a chicken voting for colonel sanders

#502060 - 11/21/07 11:34 AM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: renegade50]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

content Online
What 73pt??? i have not seen a deer all year in the back of the property.......dont even really know why i am hunting there.

just practice

John 3:16

#502276 - 11/21/07 01:28 PM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: REN]
fishboy1
16 Point

What 73pt??? i have not seen a deer all year in the back of the property.......dont even really know why i am hunting there.

just practice

(loud voice as they approach) "Did you see that huge 11 point over by the shed on the front side of the property? Wow"

"What are you guys talking about?"

"Uh... nothing much. Bammer boy just saw a little spike by the pond, sooo where are you guys hunting tonight?"

#502279 - 11/21/07 01:29 PM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: fishboy1]
fishboy1
16 Point

We might need to start making some fake rubs and scrapes in stupid places too! HA HA!!

#502997 - 11/21/07 09:49 PM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: fishboy1]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

content Online
I did see a nice 9pt tonight in the rain, and when the owner asked me what i saw i said "a good 9pt but i cant say where because the last 2 times i told you what i saw they ended up dead 48hours later" good thing we are friends because he just laughed about it.

John 3:16

#503467 - 11/22/07 01:12 PM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: REN]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

I hunt QDM property and am in the 3rd year of doing so. I haven't killed a buck yet but I eat lots of deer meat. We have a 120" minimum on our bucks and I've let quite a few of them that size and bigger walk. Does that make me a trophy hunter? I hardly think so. Because we are a QDM property I have the opportunity to take an older buck and we have them in huntable numbers quite a bit bigger than 120". So I hold out until I can connect with one of them. I don't call a 135"-165" buck a trophy by "trophy standards" but "average" top end success in a working QDM program for Tn. Without that program my chances at that potential success would be drastically cut and it's that chance that keeps much of my interest peaked. I love it all but without that realistic opportunity available much of the drive to deer hunt would be lost for me. I just kind of get tired of hearing about how the QDM minded are all about trophy hunting. Two completely different areas.

I also get tired of hearing about the "if he crosses the fence he's dead so I'll kill him first" theory. That sort of makes it sound like there should be a starting gate at sunrise complete with a starter's pistol. Let the competition begin. I'd rather compete against the deer and that's exactly what a QDM program does for me. I've never owned a deer so I can't really say that someone shot my buck on the other side of the fence. I understand first hand the frustration of watching the efforts of your restraint consistantly biting the dust. If your goal is to practice QDM the best bet is to lease/join a QDM club/create a co-op of like minded people.

#503869 - 11/22/07 08:07 PM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: Mike Belt]
TNTony
Non-Typical

Loc: Ft. Liquordale, FL

Next to money greed and material things greed, some deer hunters are the greediest somebretches around. Some can't stand to be happy with what somebody else kills or how he legally killed it. We're in the good ole days of hunting now, they'll be memories soon due to greed.
#508895 - 11/27/07 12:18 AM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: Radar]
HenryCohunter
4 Point

Loc: Cottage Grove TN/Horn Lake MS

We own a small 200+ acrea farm in henry county .. about 9 years ago we had a HUGE deer herd but no quality... you might see 20 deer in a day but if you saw a buck he was a basket rack 6 or 8 and you were pleased to see him.The people that own the land next to ours went on a killing spree right after they changed the limits on how many does you could kill to 3 a day.I was told they killed 80 deer that first year and 67 the next.we went for the next 3 years seeing very few deer at all .. we planted some food plots put out minerals for them all year... and managed to keep the deer on our place pretty healthy.Anyway the point of the story is that after the depletion of the deer herd we started seeing bigger deer.After a couple years we started seeing ALOT bigger deer.I talked my brother and the few people that hunted with us into passing on the 2 year old bucks with 15 inch spreads and give them 1 more year... some got killed by the people hunting around us im sure but enough didnt for us to see the difference.We have killed 4 in the last 3 years that have all scored over 140.One BRUTE that my brother killed last year that scored a whopping 159 and weighed close to 240 lbs.It took the almost total anhilation of our deer herd to bring about this change .. that and us being more careful with our herds health but it truly can pay off for you even if you have a small plot of land to mange what you kill.

#510543 - 11/28/07 08:15 AM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: fishboy1]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: fishboy1

Hunt the sandy pine forest of Central Florida where a trophy buck (4.5 yr old) is 100" and anything over 110" is a whopper. How much time, money and energy would you put into a property that has a max average potential of 100-110" bucks?

What I am trying to get at is most QDM advocates are really attempting Antler Management when you strip away all the fancy talk and BS about herd health. Plain and simple The majority (not all) "QDM" advocates are simply trying to farm large racked bucks. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but call it what it is, farming big bucks, not Quality Deer Management.

I'll be the first to agree that most hunters become interested in QDM due to their desire to see and kill larger bucks than they have in the past. I did. I was tired of only seeing and killing yearling spikes and forkhorns. However, what I was attempting to produce was far below what most QDM advocates are pushing for these days. My original "dream" was to produce a herd where every hunter had a realistic chance of seeing and killing a 2 1/2+ year-old buck each year. We've accomplished that in spades.

But in addition, after seeing all of the other benefits of a QDM herd--intense rutting activity, massive increase in rubbing and scraping, huge increases in deer body weight, etc.--would I still practice QDM if the local bucks were limited to 100-110 gross? Absolutely! The other benefits really add up.

Quote:
Now imagine how a 3-4 weekend a year hunter feels when he is bombarded by people with private land, lots of hunting opportunity, and a management program telling him to "pass up your chance at A deer for this year" His attitude will quickly be "up yours ya spoiled hunter, I only get a couple days a year and Im taking home a deer".

I absolutely agree with that, and that's why I keep saying QDM isn't for everybody and should not be enacted into law for everybody by the TWRA. If hunters want to practice QDM in Unit L and A, the current regulations allow them to do so. If they don't want to practice QDM, they don't have to. I like the fact the regulations allow for hunters to choose which type of hunting experience and management they want.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 9 of 11 « First<7891011>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Afleming17, 260rem, Hunter244, Woodsmaster, Tennessee Skeeter
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
88 registered (BigM, ruger7mag, Mike D, Southpaw, moondawg, hunter82, 16 invisible) and 152 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
85114 Topics
1028552 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.228 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.