Page 3 of 10 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#493667 - 11/14/07 05:59 PM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: fishboy1]
156p&y
10 Point

Loc: Franklin Tn

Originally Posted By: fishboy1
I agree and disagree with you both.
The part that I disagree with points out the problem with QDM and hunter perception.

QDM'ers preach #1. Let em walk. #2. Let em walk. #3. Food plots. Only diehard QDM guys say #1. habitat management #2. Population control through doe harvests #3. Buck age limits.

QDM is a whole package and the media is doing a pretty lame job making that point. I feel that the "let em walk" crowd is creating negative feelings in the Joe average hunter. The perception is "Oh he wants me to pass on my only chance to take a deer this season so it can grow up and he can kill it on the other side of the fence....Screw QDM"

No doubt about that. Your completely correct. Those guys even rub me the wrong way and I won't shoot anything but mature bucks, but yes your 100% correct the media is doing a horrible job making that point. There are only a few select shows on the air now that show what goes into the entire project not just the passing of young bucks.

I guess QDM has changed my hunting habits all around and the whole entire package would be hard to carry out and virtually impossible on some properties. Everywhere I have permission I'm usually in the woods way before the season starts improving that area. Now I may not be able to plant a food plot, or chop down trees to promote new growth but I'm usually able to do a few things that either alters the deer's travel route or create a save haven for them. To me that's how QDM could go anywhere.

#493933 - 11/14/07 08:11 PM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: deerchaser007]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

no matter what program you aspire to you will find jealously and criticism......
goes with the territory!

#494366 - 11/15/07 06:58 AM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: fishboy1]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: fishboy1

QDM'ers preach #1. Let em walk. #2. Let em walk. #3. Food plots. Only diehard QDM guys say #1. habitat management #2. Population control through doe harvests #3. Buck age limits.

Except those that preach just "let 'em walk and food plots" aren't educated QDMers. They don't understand what QDM really is. But that doesn't stop them from being highly irritating and giving QDM a black eye.

Quote:
QDM is a whole package and the media is doing a pretty lame job making that point. I feel that the "let em walk" crowd is creating negative feelings in the Joe average hunter. The perception is "Oh he wants me to pass on my only chance to take a deer this season so it can grow up and he can kill it on the other side of the fence....Screw QDM"

I completely agree. As I've said many times, the worst thing to happen to deer hunting in a long time is TV and DVD hunting shows. They promote the wrong things, provide incorrect information (due primarily to being infomercials) and frustrate hunters.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#494367 - 11/15/07 06:59 AM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: TAS]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: TAS
I think the problem is people confuse trophy management with QDM.

There's a lot of that too TAS, but that goes back to uneducated QDM promotion.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#494430 - 11/15/07 08:06 AM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: BSK]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

I give you QDM guys a lot of guff but think overall it is a good direction to be moving...generally.

The question I would like to pose is this.

How can the QDM movement do a better job getting the entire package out to hunters/land managers?

Or more importantly, how can we change our positioning to keep the large numbers of "average joe" hunters from turning against QDM?

I really feel that there is going to be a backlash in perception among the average hunter if we keep going the way we are.

#494480 - 11/15/07 08:54 AM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: fishboy1]
hambone
Spike

Loc: nashville,tn.

I think one of the best ways is through discussions, like this forum. When I first became aware of the QDMA/QDM I was under the impression that it was "trophy management" until I did my own research( QDMA website, talking to land managers etc.). I think it also shows that the "average joe" is enjoying one of the benefits of QDM by the number of applicants to Catoosa and Presidents Island etc. These are places that have imposed an antler restriction and the taking of does on Catoosa. Now I dont know if you would consider this QDM. I am sure others who are more knowledgeable can enlighten me and others, but that is what I have heard these programs called by the TWRA. I completly believe that QDM should not be forced upon the entire hunting population but rather an individual decision.

#494527 - 11/15/07 09:22 AM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: hambone]
kholmes
4 Point

Loc: Nashville

I believe a more grass roots approach is needed here in TN. It is up to the people that are having success with a QDM program to go out and spread the word in there general area. I believe QDMA is doing their job but it is not solely up to them. It takes people like us to go out and show people what QDM is all about. Thats how I learned about it. Probably how most of you learned about it.
I have had some reallly good and bad responses from my nieghbors when I told them what we were doing. But the good ones give me hope. Hopefully they are telling their neighbors and this thing starts to snowball.

#494741 - 11/15/07 12:25 PM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: kholmes]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

but you cannot worry about what the neighbor is doing, you have no contol over the people that surround your property. As long as you are doing what needs to be done on the area you have control over then you should rest easy.

the hardest part of QDM is the vast differences in each individules hunting knowledge and experience. It is just very hard to tell a person that has very limited knowledge in those to areas to let that deer they see walk. I have hunted my entire life and killed my share add in i have such a love for the species that i actually enjoy studying them so letting deer walk and working to improve habit is not an issue with me. anyway i hope that makes sense.

John 3:16

#494865 - 11/15/07 02:03 PM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: REN]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

Bamma boy,
I know you know about QDM being the "whole package" but even you mentioned "letting them walk" first and foremost.

Actually I was kinda thinking of our discussion about having that nice 8 you passed get shot by that other guy when I made this post.
We were both having trouble reconciling a guy with a bunch of big bucks wanting to shoot a borderline 8 pt.

#495043 - 11/15/07 03:56 PM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: fishboy1]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

yeah well that brings out a WHOLE nother issue to me but its not for this thread LOL.

I do understand the whole package but to your average joe hunter the letting them walk is what is going to stick out IMO. there are alot of hunters that do not have the $ or the equipment to support the habitat goal for QDM so the let them walk idea to me is what will stick out the most. Now how to get people to understand that idea and the purpose of it is the trick then you can begin building knowledge of the whitetail deer species and what it needs to thrive, and how simple inexpensive steps can be made to improve habitat and overall deer health.

either way this is a tough issue to present because each hunter/land manager has is own thoughts and experiences.

John 3:16

Page 3 of 10 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
14 registered (old guy, PillsburyDoughboy, Southern Sportsman, slagtown_dfa, TNRifleman, Vermin93, 2 invisible) and 75 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96066 Topics
1124871 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.058 seconds in which 0.016 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.