Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#490516 - 11/12/07 05:27 PM Moving Sanctuaries.
kholmes
4 Point

Loc: Nashville

The other thread got me to thinking about making new sanctuaries on my farm. So here is the question. Do I wait till next year to do this or set aside a new sanctuary now and hunt the other?

#490517 - 11/12/07 05:33 PM Re: Moving Sanctuaries. [Re: kholmes]
Greg .
aPoStROpHe PolIcE
16 Point

Loc: NC Piedmonts

sanc·tu·ar·y /ˈsæŋktʃuˌɛri/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sangk-choo-er-ee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -ar·ies.
1. a sacred or holy place.
2. Judaism.
a. the Biblical tabernacle or the Temple in Jerusalem.
b. the holy of holies of these places of worship.
3. an especially holy place in a temple or church.
4. the part of a church around the altar; the chancel.
5. a church or other sacred place where fugitives were formerly entitled to immunity from arrest.
6. immunity afforded by refuge in such a place.
7. any place of refuge; asylum.
8. a tract of land where birds and wildlife, esp. those hunted for sport, can breed and take refuge in safety from hunters.
[Origin: 1300–50; ME < LL sānctuārium, equiv. to sānctu- (r. L sānct-), comb. form of sanctus (see Sanctus) + -ārium -ary]

#490518 - 11/12/07 05:33 PM Re: Moving Sanctuaries. [Re: kholmes]
kholmes
4 Point

I have a couple of de-facto sanctuaries now that are neighbors property that they can't access without crossing the Forked Deer River so they aren't hunted. We have a combined 1000 acres of family land everyone is QDM minded and the little ones are passed up. It is divided up into sections and everyone hunts their own section with buffers in between. Are these buffer areas good enough? Thanks for any insight.
kh

#491286 - 11/13/07 06:12 AM Re: Moving Sanctuaries. [Re: kholmes]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Sanctuaries can be decided upon any way you like, but I work my sanctuaries by following the cover. The best cover is set aside as sanctuaries, and those areas change over time. We create our cover by cutting patches of timber (3-5 acres each), and as those cut patches regrow into impenetrable cover, they get designated as sanctuaries. Once they outgrow the cover stage, they are no longer sanctuaries, as new cuts will have been made to replace the ones growing beyond the cover stange and into the pole-timber stage. So a particular area remains a sanctuary for about 6-8 years, then is replaced with a new area of better cover.

Of course, we do this because the property is primarily mature hardwoods. If I had more old pastures and openings, I would keep those in perpetual states of usable cover.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#491457 - 11/13/07 08:43 AM Re: Moving Sanctuaries. [Re: BSK]
kholmes
4 Point

Does the actual shape of the sanctuary matter? or is it more about total area.

#491524 - 11/13/07 09:40 AM Re: Moving Sanctuaries. [Re: kholmes]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

It's more about the size of each sanctuary, although I certainly go to great lengths to produce particular types of habitat edges in particular locations. These specific habitat-terrain combinations produce very predictable buck movement patterns. But when it comes to the effectiveness of a sanctuary, the shape is much less important than the size.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#491576 - 11/13/07 10:19 AM Re: Moving Sanctuaries. [Re: BSK]
kholmes
4 Point

Thank you BSK for the replies.
kh

#491586 - 11/13/07 10:24 AM Re: Moving Sanctuaries. [Re: kholmes]
TAS
6 Point

Loc: Hickman County

kh,

How wide are your buffers/sanctuaries?

#491622 - 11/13/07 10:58 AM Re: Moving Sanctuaries. [Re: TAS]
kholmes
4 Point

Originally Posted By: TAS
kh,

Not to wide. Any where from 100 yds down to maybe 50 but they are very long and linear. They are basically ditches that seperated the crop fields and grew up overtime into some big timber. It was select cut 10 years ago and is really thick almost unhuntable. The ditches feed into the Forked Deer River which serves a superhighway during deer season. I really think these ditches if they remain unhunted can help funnel deer off neighboring properties on to mine while also serving as a sanctuary. I may be shooting myself in the foot by giving up the better hunting areas but I might give it a try next season.

#491710 - 11/13/07 12:11 PM Re: Moving Sanctuaries. [Re: kholmes]
TAS
6 Point

Loc: Hickman County

Originally Posted By: kholmes
 Originally Posted By: TAS
kh,

Not to wide. Any where from 100 yds down to maybe 50 but they are very long and linear. They are basically ditches that seperated the crop fields and grew up overtime into some big timber. It was select cut 10 years ago and is really thick almost unhuntable. The ditches feed into the Forked Deer River which serves a superhighway during deer season. I really think these ditches if they remain unhunted can help funnel deer off neighboring properties on to mine while also serving as a sanctuary. I may be shooting myself in the foot by giving up the better hunting areas but I might give it a try next season.
100 yards wide should be wide enough. I have one like that, 40 acres stretched out for about 3/4 mile.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
OfficerBuck, rapalabuck, medic2fpc, MachDR, pop
13308 Registered Users
Who's Online
73 registered (FULLDRAWXX75, RiverRat213, fourwheeler431, plinker22, scn, Planking, 8 invisible) and 110 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13308 Members
42 Forums
94015 Topics
1098193 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.129 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.