Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#491496 - 11/13/07 09:16 AM Re: Clover is getting ate to the ground [Re: woodchuckc]
TAS
6 Point

Loc: Hickman County

Chuck,

I am seeing the exact same thing. Too bad I can't rotate plots like pastures! \:D

#491528 - 11/13/07 09:42 AM Re: Clover is getting ate to the ground [Re: woodchuckc]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Over-population and the beginnings of a browse line are very, very difficult things to see. It takes a very trained and experienced eye. That's isn't to say you have either, just pointing out they are hard things to see.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#491551 - 11/13/07 09:54 AM Re: Clover is getting ate to the ground [Re: BSK]
tellico4x4
6 Point

Loc: Killen, AL

content Online
All 20 of our plots are being hammered as well. We've taken 15 does out so far this year, but it's looking like we should have taken at least twice that number by now....

Thinking about giving them all a shot of ammonia nitrate. Anyone know if that will effect the deer on the plots in the near term?

#491579 - 11/13/07 10:20 AM Re: Clover is getting ate to the ground [Re: BSK]
TAS
6 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK
Over-population and the beginnings of a browse line are very, very difficult things to see. It takes a very trained and experienced eye. That's isn't to say you have either, just pointing out they are hard things to see.

Bryan,

My problem (if you want to call it that) is two of the properties that border mine consist of old mature timber with no acorns. Both owners claim to have no deer this year, no sightings nothing on trail cams, and are blaming EHD. Meanwhile my deer population has exploded as I have lots of young select cut with mature timber intermixed, plots, fields. I guess I should shoot all their does also?? \:D What would you do? Will the deer move back to their properties?

#491581 - 11/13/07 10:21 AM Re: Clover is getting ate to the ground [Re: tellico4x4]
TAS
6 Point

Originally Posted By: tellico4x4
All 20 of our plots are being hammered as well. We've taken 15 does out so far this year, but it's looking like we should have taken at least twice that number by now....

Thinking about giving them all a shot of ammonia nitrate. Anyone know if that will effect the deer on the plots in the near term?

I plan on putting out 100 lbs of 34-0-0 per acre here in a couple weeks.

#491590 - 11/13/07 10:32 AM Re: Clover is getting ate to the ground [Re: woodchuckc]
Semibald
Spike

Loc: Shelby Co.TN

I have a brand new clover plot of 2.5 acres that is just coming up. The Plotsaver strip only kept them out for a short time - maybe 2 weeks. Supposed to last 4 weeks. I'm going to spread Milorganite over the plot to try to keep them off enough to let it get good and established. Anyone ever have any luck with this? I also heard from a farmer that he uses Coast deodorant soap in his garden to keep deer out. I thought I might buy a couple dozen bars, cut them up, and spread them around the plot. Anyone ever use soap??

#491730 - 11/13/07 12:23 PM Re: Clover is getting ate to the ground [Re: tellico4x4]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: tellico4x4

A shot of ammonium nitrate right now will really make those cereal grain food plots jump.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#491733 - 11/13/07 12:24 PM Re: Clover is getting ate to the ground [Re: Semibald]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Semibald
I have a brand new clover plot of 2.5 acres that is just coming up. The Plotsaver strip only kept them out for a short time - maybe 2 weeks. Supposed to last 4 weeks. I'm going to spread Milorganite over the plot to try to keep them off enough to let it get good and established. Anyone ever have any luck with this? I also heard from a farmer that he uses Coast deodorant soap in his garden to keep deer out. I thought I might buy a couple dozen bars, cut them up, and spread them around the plot. Anyone ever use soap??

Nothing keeps hungry deer away from the only good food resource around. I've seen everything tried and they all fail if it is the only food in town.

#491734 - 11/13/07 12:25 PM Re: Clover is getting ate to the ground [Re: TAS]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: TAS
 Originally Posted By: BSK

Bryan,

My problem (if you want to call it that) is two of the properties that border mine consist of old mature timber with no acorns. Both owners claim to have no deer this year, no sightings nothing on trail cams, and are blaming EHD. Meanwhile my deer population has exploded as I have lots of young select cut with mature timber intermixed, plots, fields. I guess I should shoot all their does also?? \:D What would you do? Will the deer move back to their properties?

Yes, they will return to the neighboring properties once conditions change. But that may not be until next fall, so personally, I would fire away. Those neighboring deer are definitely going to eat your winter food resources this year.

#491746 - 11/13/07 12:32 PM Re: Clover is getting ate to the ground [Re: BSK]
TAS
6 Point

[quote=BSK
Yes, they will return to the neighboring properties once conditions change. But that may not be until next fall, so personally, I would fire away. Those neighboring deer are definitely going to eat your winter food resources this year.
[/quote]

Sounds good. Thanks Bryan!

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (gtk, Cowman71, MachDR, robinhedd, thehoytman) and 80 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.