Tndeer Logo

Page all of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#48495 - 12/20/06 12:41 PM do it yourself European mount info
redbone
4 Point

Loc: Tipton County

Anybody have experience doing a Euro mount buck? I have hung heads and let them rot but never a true european. Links or sites welcome!

#48496 - 12/20/06 03:49 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info
slabhead
8 Point

Loc: Lewis Co.

I used this one and it turned out great. Just waiting on my panel to mount it to the wall.

European Mounts

Gene Buchanan - 1979

#48497 - 12/20/06 04:02 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info
redbone
4 Point

Thanks!

#48498 - 12/20/06 04:02 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info
Rut-N-Strut
8 Point

Loc: Cumberland Co. Tn.

This Is one I did myself \:D

I just Skinned all the hide and meat off and then boiled it in a big pot and scraped all the rest of the meat off an boiled it again and then let it set in a bleach solution for a day and then let it dry out.

I followed the same Instructions you were given

#48499 - 12/20/06 04:09 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info
redbone
4 Point

That is a nice looking mount. My cousin bagged an 8 point over the weekend and he is wanting to do it this way. I'll post pics when we git r done

#48500 - 12/21/06 09:05 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

did my bow kill this fall it is a conversation piece anda heck of alot cheaper
#48501 - 12/26/06 04:27 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info
HOOK
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford County, TN

Thanks for the plug slabhead. \:D

#48502 - 12/27/06 04:47 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info
TNTony
Non-Typical

Loc: Ft. Liquordale, FL

Quote:
Originally posted by HOOK:
Thanks for the plug slabhead. \:D
article.

#48504 - 01/01/07 02:50 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info
wyo-transplant
4 Point

Loc: Lebanon, TN

If you get the toll paint in off white, or white, at walmart and paint the white part of the mount. I helps the bone stay together longer.And not crack and fall apart so fast. Put it on with a regular artists brush, get as much of the bone as possible. All around inside too. I also have one of one of the moose I shot. My wife did this in a aged bronze type thing with this paint. It looks cool, also.

#48505 - 01/09/07 06:19 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info
JA1234
10 Point

Loc: just a hair or two north of th...

Just don't over boil them like this taxidermist my customer used did. I feel as though he forgot about it and let the water boil out burning the skull or boiled it to long pulling the grease into the bone. If you boil your skulls bring the water to a boil turn the heat down insert skull and simmer untill you have everything off. The proceed with however you want to whiten the skull. This one was so bad I could not bleach it. Bleaching one the way I do it gets them as white as you would ever want one to be. No paint needed unless you have over cooked it like this one is. Just a good no yellowing sealer holds everything in place for years. The first photo is what I found after striping the paint off and the second is what the customer is getting back at 25.00 more then he could have had me do it for the first time.

#48506 - 01/10/07 09:21 AM Re: do it yourself European mount info
eightpoint
TnDeer Old Timer
6 Point

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

I just had one done and after seeing it, I may never have another shoulder mount done. This thing looks fantastic. I had it mounted by having it set off some and at an angle from the backboard. It is on a post coming out about 8-12 inces forward from the back placque and then mounted on a smaller plaque that is angled out...sort of -\ so it sets the antlers at a natural position. Looks great sitting beside a fireplace or even sitting on table.
#48507 - 01/13/07 07:18 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info
Okieman
4 Point

Loc: Jackson ,TN

LOOKS AWESOME!
Did you put a stain or a clear coat on the horns?

#48508 - 01/14/07 06:21 AM Re: do it yourself European mount info
Flint River Archer
Button

Loc: Gawja

awesome job for sure

#48509 - 01/16/07 11:25 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info
JA1234
10 Point

Quote:
Originally posted by Okieman:
LOOKS AWESOME!
Did you put a stain or a clear coat on the horns?
I did have to stain them. when the other taxidermist boiled them it he let the water up about two inches above the G-1's and it turned them a grayish white to that point, and faded the rest out to the tips. I wish I would have taken a before of the way the antlers were when I got it. In the photo above I just stripped the paint from the skull and some on the antlers to see what was on them. The customer brought a photo of how they were (kill photo)and I stained to match. I sprayed a sealer on the antlers and it was semi dry at the time of the photo making them look wet.. now that it is dry it has the natural sheen of antlers. On fresh antlers you can rub a carnubba(sp) wax on then buff lightly to get the sheen back and if kept clean it will last a long time.
and thanks.

#48510 - 01/19/07 04:20 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info
spitndrum
Team TLBB Woodpile Boys
Non-Typical

Loc: Cumberland Plateau

Love the way they look can't kill one to try it!!! \:\(

#237275 - 05/17/07 09:49 AM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: spitndrum]
Mathews Hunter
12 Point

Loc: Southern Middle Tennessee

African Beetles
Kerosene
Peroxide

#239132 - 05/19/07 04:52 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: Mathews Hunter]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

The first time I did a European mount, I ruined it. I used peroxide or some sort of bleach when boiling the antlers. The first couple of inches of antler near the base turned almost pure white, while the rest of the horns were more off-white and chocolate. Even though the water never touched the horns, the fumes just above the waterline had presumably bleached that part near the base. I still use the peroxide, but I read somewhere to protect the entire rack by covering it in tin foil while boiling it. It worked for me. Some instructions don't mention that important precaution.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#240013 - 05/20/07 10:33 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: gil1]
8up
Good ol' Boys
10 Point

Loc: Stewart co.

I dod my first ones this past season

#240804 - 05/21/07 09:03 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: wyo-transplant]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#241319 - 05/22/07 10:29 AM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: Boone 58]
gil1
12 Point

Where did you get your wood bases? I'd like some bases for the table, not the wall.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#242086 - 05/22/07 09:52 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: gil1]
8up
Good ol' Boys
10 Point

Loc: Stewart co.

I made my own including the table and the bases are screwed to the table. But I beleive this one can go on the wall or table according to the way you assemble it.
http://www.swwgamepanels.com/european.html

#242116 - 05/22/07 10:00 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: 8up]
gil1
12 Point

I love the base. I'd been looking around for a while. I may order one and try to copy it to make more at home. Thanks for the info.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#242167 - 05/22/07 10:31 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: gil1]
gil1
12 Point

Here's my one decent European mount.
Also, I got a little nutty and made this half turkey/half deer mount I call "Fantlers." I love the thing, but probably just because of the memories involved with the 2 hunts. I showed it to a couple of other folks, and I think they thought it was a little much. I got polite smiles of approval, but I could tell they didn't like it. No matter - I've got the memories. \:\)

Dr. Saxton Pope

#244833 - 05/26/07 07:01 AM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: gil1]
HOOK
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Fantlers.....I love it.

Here are my 2 newest additions using the same techniques I did in my article.

#246865 - 05/29/07 12:15 AM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: HOOK]
gil1
12 Point

Man, that's what I call a beautiful euro mount! I've got to work on getting those dark antlers. As white as the skull is, it really makes for a great contrast.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#250122 - 05/31/07 07:45 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: gil1]
HOOK
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Thanks gil1.

I don't know what trait has changed in my herd, but lately the bucks I've been taking have very dark antlers...those Euros are NOT painted. They both have a Clear Coat on them. The first one is still shiney because it's freshlly applied.

#253171 - 06/04/07 01:57 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: HOOK]
kasey
8 Point

Loc: Tn,sevier Co.

cool
#261122 - 06/10/07 09:41 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: wyo-transplant]
HuntingDicksonDTC
8 Point

Loc: Dickson

Thanks hook - this is my 1st try on a euro mount I used your post & finally got mine done today- used an old piece of barn wood - still have to get the hanger for the back - I will boil it next time - i let nature take its course on this one

Treat a man as he could be & he will become what he should be.

#261309 - 06/10/07 11:05 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: HuntingDicksonDTC]
gil1
12 Point

It looks great!
So how long did it take for the bugs to eat it? Do you take the skin off and just let it hang outside? Do you have to scrape any afterwards?

Dr. Saxton Pope

#262082 - 06/11/07 08:28 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: gil1]
HuntingDicksonDTC
8 Point

Loc: Dickson

Thanks for the compliment -It took about 3 weeks after they knew it was there- cause i put it under an old yard cart out in the woods - did not know if any animals would try & eat the horns is the reason for being under the cart- the beetles did a great job - i looked up what kind they were on the net after seeing them but cant remember their name -- I just pulled the loose skin off that was still there & put it in volume 40 peroxide for about 24 hours ( the peroxide does an awesome job) looks like a chemistry project when you 1st drop it in the peroxide starts bubbling up.
#268169 - 06/17/07 02:46 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: wyo-transplant]
hunter drew
14 Point

Loc: henderson county TN Lexington

don't let the bleach set to long it will cause the bone to get like a powder on them i was told use a toothbrush and don't let the bleach stay on more then 10 min

#271614 - 06/20/07 12:48 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: hunter drew]
Still-n-Quiet
10 Point

Loc: San Antonio, TX

Good grief, HOOK! How do you convince yourself NOT to shoulder mount that huge 8?????

Searching for the elusive "Moderate" liberal and "Moderate" Muslim. Maybe they are hiding together...

Μολων λαβε

#292057 - 07/08/07 12:22 AM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: HuntingDicksonDTC]
Tnyoteboy
6 Point

Loc: Bartlett

Originally Posted By: HuntingDicksonDTC
Thanks for the compliment -It took about 3 weeks after they knew it was there- cause i put it under an old yard cart out in the woods - did not know if any animals would try & eat the horns is the reason for being under the cart- the beetles did a great job - i looked up what kind they were on the net after seeing them but cant remember their name -- I just pulled the loose skin off that was still there & put it in volume 40 peroxide for about 24 hours ( the peroxide does an awesome job) looks like a chemistry project when you 1st drop it in the peroxide starts bubbling up.

Dermestid beetles

#496848 - 11/17/07 08:32 AM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: ]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

Boiling Question: Do I need to remove the eyes and the brain before boiling?

#506169 - 11/25/07 12:04 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: redbone]
Knothead
12 Point

Loc: Middle TN

If I hadn't seen this for myself, I wouldn't believe it:
A buddy of mine from AR killed a decent 6 pointer 2 weeks ago, took the head and tied a wire to a post driven in the ground (to keep the coyotes, dogs, etc. from draggin it off), and put it right on top of a fire-ant mound. The thing was eaten clean in only 2 days!! \:o
I knew those litte rascals were mean, but I didn't know they were THAT mean!!

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)“The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.”

#506266 - 11/25/07 12:50 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: Knothead]
Southpaw
12 Point

Loc: Drummonds, Tn

\:o

#844971 - 07/30/08 09:49 AM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: wyo-transplant]
J Hartman
6 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, Maury, TN

those turkey boilers make great places to boil the heads becasue you can leave them outside, it really doesn't smell good cooking, take the head out from time to time and ram a screw driver into the backside of the skull and scramble the brains around. When you finish boiling pick all of the meat off and boil one more time, You can then spray paint it white, black, rebel flag, hunter moss, bow hunter, or whatever you want to do, I know an airbrush artist, who does cool designs and stuff on the head for me.

#1052865 - 11/26/08 10:10 AM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: J Hartman]
plinker22
16 Point

Thought this needed brought to the top. Good info!

#1067289 - 12/04/08 04:10 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: plinker22]
plinker22
16 Point

I need to glue back in the two nose pieces of my buck.

Do I super-glue the pieces back in before using the peroxide or after?

#1100241 - 12/24/08 07:48 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: plinker22]
JA1234
10 Point

Originally Posted By: plinker22
I need to glue back in the two nose pieces of my buck.

Do I super-glue the pieces back in before using the peroxide or after?

after

if done before the peroxide will pull the marrow (I guess) from the bone to the super glue giving you a nice red tint...Or at least it did on one I was doing several years ago.

#1569300 - 10/21/09 11:06 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: JA1234]
pass-thru
10 Point

Loc: va beach

Where's the best place to get the peroxide?

Also, would it work just as well to wrap the skull in rags/paper towels saturated with the peroxide, rather than soaking it?

#1572881 - 10/23/09 03:42 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: pass-thru]
JA1234
10 Point

The very best thing to do is go to a sallys beauty supply near you..Google it for locations. You can buy volume 40 there. They also sale a product to mixe with it called basic white. wear gloves using vol40.. burn your skin. anyhow you mix it to a mayo thickness and brush it on. then slip skull into a garbage bag and close it up with the antlers burs on the outside of the bag, This will keep the mix from drying out on you and allowing it to do its job. If you have degreased and cleaned your skull like you should have this will give great results. and is cheaper then soaking or paper towel or bath rags...trust me...been doing skulls for a long time.... regardless of the best cleaning methods this is the best whiting method. IMO only and that of several well qualified taxidermist on taxinet. one guy wraps his in clear plastic after brushing it on and puts in under a heat source...I haven't seen the need to risk catching the plastic on fire. Good luck..
#1572896 - 10/23/09 03:46 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: JA1234]
JA1234
10 Point

it doesn't take much doing it that way..out of 1-2 bottles Depending on size I get of peroxide and one tub of basic white I get 3 -5 skulls. sometimes I over mix when doing one or two skulls at a time..That is why I like to do 5 at a time
#1573561 - 10/23/09 10:34 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: JA1234]
pass-thru
10 Point

Thanks for the info....just got the skull boiled out and almost got evicted in the process.
#1573837 - 10/24/09 09:46 AM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: pass-thru]
JA1234
10 Point

Should have added you need to keep the skull wet prior to putting the mix on it...if left out to dry then the mix put on some dont do as well.

And yeah they can smell a little simmering the meat off. Not as bad as masacrateing(sp) try that next time.

#1579259 - 10/26/09 11:00 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: plinker22]
Tnyoteboy
6 Point

Originally Posted By: plinker22
Boiling Question: Do I need to remove the eyes and the brain before boiling?

More like a simmer question, yes, remove as much of the meat as possible before putting in the pot, eyes, brain, tongue, etc. Less material for the mixture to penetrate and faster pot time.

#1579260 - 10/26/09 11:01 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: pass-thru]
Tnyoteboy
6 Point

Originally Posted By: pass-thru
Thanks for the info....just got the skull boiled out and almost got evicted in the process.

And definately do it outside. I use the side burner on my grill.

Coyote skull I did last year.

#1583646 - 10/28/09 11:09 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: Tnyoteboy]
pass-thru
10 Point

I used your method Joey to whiten and it turned out great, thanks for the tip. That was probably the smoothest step. First time I've done one of these and I learned a lot, I'm sure next time will be much easier.

I decided I wanted to keep the natural color of the teeth, so I covered them with foil during the whitening. That worked pretty well.

#1607559 - 11/09/09 09:31 PM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: wyo-transplant]
easlo
8 Point

Loc: east Tennessee

Done some myself...takes about half a day..take everything you can off the skull first..skin..meat..ect..ect. best thing is have a big stainless steel pan..and propane stove anything.that you can use to boil the heads..warning...best not do it on the wife's stove inside..outside is best because it WILL STINK!! but..I give the head a decent 2 or 3 hour boil...then I start extra cleaning of the skull..avoid anything wire type brush or brillo pad..scars the skull..just have to be patient and keep cleaning..be sure to remove as much brain as possible..ice pic does the trick pretty well..jab here and there and the brain begins to fall out in pieces..once you have almost everything fairly clean..here is the trick..wrap the base of the horns in aluminum foil...add a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and boil for about two hours..I promise it will turn the skull from a dull yellow to a bright white..hence the reason for the foil wrap to the base of the antlers...Let the skull air dry for 30 minutes or so...I use a clear paint spray..a water proof clear type sheen finish..now..here is what i do to give the antlers a dark wet look..this is a personal choice..but looks real good against the white skull...dark wood scratch remover will bring out every little crevice and detail of that rack..just polish the rack with it.DO NOT GET THAT ON THE SKULL!! and let dry..add a touch of the clear paint spray and believe me you have a skull that shines bright white and antlers that look wet like if the deer was standing in the rain...with a nice finish.This is just something that I messed with over the years and I have skulls that look better than alot I've seen a taxidermist do.

#1664464 - 12/10/09 04:46 AM Re: do it yourself European mount info [Re: wyo-transplant]
JohnnyBond
Cat Man
Non-Typical

Loc:

Page all of 5 12345>

Moderator:  gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO, Bnpainter
13382 Registered Users
Who's Online
135 registered (Sting, Rubberduck270, Spikes Tactical, Football Hunter, Master Chief, muddyboots, 16 invisible) and 178 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13382 Members
42 Forums
95640 Topics
1119351 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.058 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.