Tndeer Logo

Page all of 3 123>
Topic Options
#48082 - 02/21/07 12:09 PM Part I
Teufelhunden
14 Point

Loc: Oak Ridge

On Sunday, May 14th, 2006 I left my home and headed towards Knoxville. I left my mother on all days of the year on Mother’s Day. Before I left, a few friends, Freels, Crow, Wallace and Ashley showed up. Rayfield actually got his motorcycle out and showed up too. He rolls up in the driveway and before you know it my dad, Big D, hops on it and is gone in a flash. Rayfield is stuck standing in the driveway trying to swallow the fact that Big D just hopped on his bike and left. I bid farewell and Ashley is kind enough to take me to Knoxville. She only lived a few minutes away so it wasn’t a big deal. She had been acting strange ever since January. Afraid of the Marine Corps and their brainwashing, she thought I was going to come back a zombie and be a freaking nut. Well, I was already a bit loco so I don’t think it would have mattered. She had basically started to phase me out of her life and wanted to be alone for a bit. I fought tooth and nail to hang on to her and luckily I did.

We arrived at the Crowne Plaza and I had to check in with the MEPS liaison. I am assigned a room with another guy also going to Paradise Island. He seems to be nonchalant about what looms in the horizon. Me, on the otherhand, am a dayum worrybug. I immediately start quizzing this guy, Pryce, on his general orders and his rifleman’s creed.

“So, do you have all your general orders down?”
“My general what? What the heII are you talking about? Man I just signed up three days ago.”
“Here man look over this stuff…I’ve got a few of them down but not all of them.”
Little did I know that those eleven orders among many other things would be chiseled into my grape over the next three months.

Come to find out, he is from Pulaski, Tennessee; home of the KKK. He is a big feller with a lot of tattoos. Many of them required him to have waivers.

I tell him I’ll be back later tonight. I was going to spend as much time with Ashley as I could before I left. I check back out of the hotel and head down to the car. Ashley and I head to TGI Friday’s to enjoy the “Last Supper.” I don’t remember what I ordered but I savored every bite of it. We then headed to West Towne mall to kill some more time. We went to Build a Bear; not a very manly place for a soon to be USMC recruit but oh well. I was surprised to see that they had a dress blues uniform for the bears as well as a sharp white cover and nice coraframs. Once the girl at the counter got that bear dressed up, I must admit he looked good, dam good. He was more of a Marine than me at the time. Freedom for me was winding down and I wanted to get some sleep. As we pulled up in the loop at the lobby, it was as if a dam broke in downtown Knoxville. I told her I’d be fine and would write as often as possible. I get out and she slowly drives away. I check back in and began the slow death march back to my room. I talk to Pryse some more and we both decide it would be best to get some sleep. The lights went out but both of us never fell asleep. 0430 rolled around soon enough and we were up and getting dressed. I had tried shaving against the grain ever since I had enlisted back in August, but it had caused a bloody mess. The same results ensued that morning. Breakfast down in the lobby was quiet for all the guys going to Parris Island. The Army pukes and National Guard fellas had it easy. After breakfast was finished, we anticipated the arrival of the dilapidated, old, yellow school bus. As we sit in the lobby some talk about what boot camp will be like, while others, like myself, sit in silence.

One cocky guy in particular blurted out “If any of those DI’s touch me, I’m gon knock the chit out of him. You just wait and see…I’m gon beat his @ss.”

I didn’t really like that guy all that much and hoped that he didn’t make it through Parris Island. The bus lurches to a stop and we pile on. But before we load, almost everyone had to enjoy a final smoke in the cool spring breeze.

MEPS goes off without a hitch and we depart Knoxville around 1300. We stop for gas and everyone hops out of the van and loads up on pogey bait. I was a tightass back then when it came to money and still am, for the most part. I just sat in the van and hung on to all seven, one dollar bills I had in my wallet.
As our van is filling up with gas another van, full of Mexicans, pulls up at the pump right beside us. Nothing was unusual about this, for seeing a vehicle full of Mexicans is nothing out of the ordinary. For some reason though, none of them exited the van. They sat in silence and stared at me. As if in unison they all nodded their heads and some tipped their hats at me. It was as if they knew what I was about to embark on. Or maybe they saw the fear in my eyes. Who knows? HeII, maybe they were looking for some gringo love.
Everyone piles back in the van and off we go. We stop at a town in South Carolina to switch drivers and vans and enjoy some first class chow at the Golden Corral. Uncle Sam was nice enough to provide us with meal vouchers, so dinner was on the taxpayers tonight. I tried eating. I really did. I just wasn’t hungry. I don’t think anyone was. There was a telephone over by the restrooms and I thought I’d say goodbye to Ashley just one more time. She was taken aback by the call, which made my day. Any day that I can pull a swift one and surprise her is definitely a good day.

We load back up in van number two and head east, towards the coast. Everyone is in a pretty good mood, that is, until we roll into Beaufort.
“We’re here boys. Just a few more minutes” said the old, black man.

That right there brought all the talking to an end. As we hit the main drag in Beaufort I remember staring up at the trees and seeing the Spanish moss swaying in the wind. It was dark now and we pulled into a gas station so everyone could clean out the van and take a leak. We are all standing outside the gas station, some bought Cokes and Mountain Dew. Pryse, for some reason, bought a stick of deodorant.

I reach into my wallet and pull out the seven bucks I had on me. I ask if anyone wants it.

Before I left, a good friend of mine’s dad gave me a bit of advice. He said that when he went through, he had some money on him when he got to Receiving and that he had to write down the serial number of every dollar bill and then log it in with the drill instructors. There was no way I was going to write down the numbers for a measly seven bucks.

No one spoke up so in the trash it went. I tried explaining to everyone the reasoning behind throwing it away but it was pointless. It was time to pile back in the van for the final time and we regretfully did so. Within five minutes we were at the main gate. We come to a stop and two MP’s come up to the window. The driver hands him some paperwork and one MP struts over to the door.

“Listen up. You are now at Parris Island. Shut up. No talking. Put your head between your legs and kiss your @ss goodbye. Don’t look up again until the drill instructor tells you to.”

#48083 - 02/21/07 12:25 PM Re: Part I
8pointbetter
8 Point

Loc: columbia

good luck

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
BONE COLLECTOR aka RAMBO

#48084 - 02/21/07 12:30 PM Re: Part I
Teufelhunden
14 Point

Quote:
Originally posted by 8pointbetter:
good luck
Good luck? HeII, I'm done. :p

#48085 - 02/21/07 12:50 PM Re: Part I
8pointbetter
8 Point

Loc: columbia

well than what about that boy from Pulaski that's were I'm from how he do and whats his name

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
BONE COLLECTOR aka RAMBO

#48086 - 02/21/07 02:03 PM Re: Part I
Teufelhunden
14 Point

last name pryse.

all i know.

#48087 - 02/23/07 10:57 PM Re: Part I
waumpuscat
4 Point

Loc: middle

hey tnhunter,

I love the good ole USMC and dang glad they were able to get you, but you may have missed your calling in writing. You write good stuff, keep it up.

w'cat

#48088 - 02/24/07 06:17 AM Re: Part I
Cuttin Caller
Blister
Non-Typical

Loc: tn

Bet you thought you could slip this one by a few folks? ;\)

Gringo's love.........funny as heck. \:D

#48089 - 02/25/07 08:09 PM Re: Part I
Teufelhunden
14 Point

Added a bit more for you all. enjoy.

#48090 - 02/27/07 11:20 AM Re: Part I
RED BEARD
8 Point

Loc: Signal Mountain, Sequatchie Co...

Let's hear Part 2.

#170041 - 02/28/07 03:10 PM Re: Part I [Re: RED BEARD]
HOOT OWL
TnDeer Old Timer
6 Point

Loc: Ooltewah, TN

My grandparents were from Pulaski, last names Williams & Gardner.

#186052 - 03/16/07 12:32 PM Re: Part I [Re: HOOT OWL]
TNReb
Formally known as Nyper
16 Point

Loc: Lebanon

waiting on part 2 yo
#315299 - 07/26/07 10:24 PM Part I and now Part II [Re: TNReb]
Teufelhunden
14 Point

He slams the door shut and off we go. It was dark. Very dark. I disobey my first order and take a look around.

“Hmm…palm trees…this place can’t be that bad” I think to myself.

Someone starts to laugh. I have no clue why but they just did. We drove around the Island for about 15 minutes. They do this to disorient you and to make the island seem bigger than it actually is.

After what seems like an eternity the van comes to a stop. Silence. Dead silence. You can hear every heart in that van racing. Yelling comes from outside the van followed by a variety of “Aye Sir’s.”

“Oh chit, he’s coming.”

The van door opens. “Eyes on me. When I tell you to you’re going to get off my van and get on the yellow footprints behind everyone else. Understand?”

We mutter a very soft “Yes sir.”

“Say what?”

“YES SIR.”

“Get off my van right now. Now now now now let’s go.”

We fall out of the van clumsily and sprint to the formation. As I’m standing there on the yellow footprints the voice in my head won’t shut up. “So this is what these footprints are all about?” Out of the corner of my eye I watch events unfold. I notice the floodlights running on generators. I see drill instructors, male and female, circling this gaggle [censored] of kids on yellow paint like a pack of hyenas, just waiting for someone to run back into the van or mess up. I notice a myriad of guys that brought duffel bags and one genius even lugged along a suitcase. I guess his recruiter told him he was going to grandma’s for the summer.

We are led through two huge metal doors emblazoned with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. We form two lines and pass all our paperwork up to the front. We are then sent down a hall to stand on a box. It is a clear box with a light in it and a mirror on the bottom. The Marine Corps is idiot proof in its ways but people still find ways to mess things up. A guy in front of me steps on to the glass lid with his shoes still attached to his feet…not for long though. They are checking for flat feet and high arches. I have a high arch and have an 8 written on my hand by a burly, black drill instructor. I thought life was over. We then form at least two dozen lines, each behind a telephone on a wall.

* The entire receiving process is rather bland; therefore, it will be simple and brief.
I get to the phone, dial my house and hope no one answers. It’s around 1:30 am and if anyone answers it will be my dad…not good. Alas, my mom answers and I spurt out what we have to read and hang up.

After the phone call we sit in a room with desks, almost like a class room but far from it. There are some recruits in there that have already had their haircut. Most have not. Some guys have the audacity to talk and carry on while we are standing by. Most sit there and wonder what is next. In walk two drill instructors and they begin to read off a list of contraband items that are not allowed during recruit training: Stamps, cigarettes, lighters, cell phones, watches, etc. We all get up and empty what little possessions we have into a box. As I approach the box I notice there are at least thirty condoms scattered around it. Who the hell comes to Parris Island planning on getting some?

Soon enough we fall out for haircuts. Each haircut lasts less than twelve seconds and the “barber” grinds the clippers over your scalp with no guard, a zero. If your head ain’t bleeding when they’re done then it’s too long.

During this whole time we are running on adrenaline and curiosity. Sleep is the last thing on my mind, at the time. Next comes the uniform issue. A prick E-1 and E-2 run things and at the time they were more Marines than us, but still pricks. I was very concerned about getting the wrong size boot or blouse amidst all the commotion. Sure enough my blouse was a size too large but I got lucky on the boots. I still wear those humongous blouses but make do.

After uniform issue is hygiene items and the like. Everything gets dumped into a big laundry bag and checked off. You also get your go fasters (tennis shoes) and shower shoes (flip flops).

After all the issue gear in the receiving building we are taken upstairs to a receiving squadbay. Some recruits are already there. We are left alone, all 80 of us, for brief periods of time and soon discover that there are three guys already trying to run [censored]. Their names are Smith, Marx and Korn. They’ve been on the island since January and got sick or broke off. You can usually tell a lot about people by first impressions. In their case - Grade A freaking losers. We stow our gear behind us and sit Indian style on the imaginary black line. Some get up to piss and drink from the water fountain. The door into the squadbay is hidden behind a wall. Everytime the door opens everyone stops talking and expects to see a drill instructor turn the corner and unleash hell. Soon enough others realized this and thought it was funny to open the door and play games. The whole episode was similar to the boy who cried wolf. That is until there is this tan, tall, mean looking guy with a smokey bear on standing up front with his arms crossed. Drill Instructor SSgt Cerrano. He was a cool guy. No games. Just get it done and move on type of guy. One thing always made me laugh when he showed his teeth though….his silver and gray braces. Who woulda thunk it? A big, bad, mean, recruit stomping drill instructor with a mouth full of metal.

Edited by tnhunter16 (07/26/07 10:30 PM)

#320545 - 07/31/07 10:09 AM Re: Part I and now Part II [Re: Teufelhunden]
Tnyoteboy
6 Point

Loc: Bartlett

You'll learn to appreciate a man like that Staff Sergeant, no games, just get it done.

#600515 - 02/05/08 04:06 PM Re: Part I and now Part II [Re: Tnyoteboy]
Teufelhunden
14 Point

Woodbury Funeral:

10 salty veterans, ranging from 1st sgts to Colonels, congregated in the parking lot. Seven of them hobbled their way to the gravesite using their Garands as canes.

Some of them barely had the strength to stand but as the hearse approached the cemetery they mustered all they had to stand and align to the right for their rifle detail that they had already performed over 80 times that year.

One gentleman continued to sit even as the casket was being carried to its eternal place of rest.

The NCOIC, a crusty, tanned face 1st Sgt, called over to the man… "They're here….get up and let's go." "They're here" he shouts.

The sitting man shouts back "They're here? Well I'm here too." He gets up and shuffles to his spot.

This same man's knees were quivering the whole time he was at parade rest; however, he stood stronger than the others. In his eyes were something that I've never seen before. It reminded me of the eyes in Saving Private Ryan. The bold, blue eyes the camera zooms in on while the man kneels over the grave markers. Those were the same eyes.

The other young guns and myself were more than adamant that these gentlemen were going to fire their three volleys in a cacophony of shots. BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM. We were mistaken.

The first Sgt called "Ready step. Ready. Aim. Fire." One shot. "Ready. Aim. Fire." One Shot. "Ready. Aim. Fire." One shot.

Taps ensued, the flag was folded flawlessly and it was over. The old men laid their M1's on surrounding headstones and picked up their brass. Benjamin Franklin was wrong. The only things certain in life are: death, taxes and police calls.

Three spent casings were handed to the full bird and he quietly and solemnly passed the three off to a frail woman clutching the freshly folded flag. It was something he has done countless times over countless years.

The entire group said their goodbyes and grunted and griped as they hobbled back to their vehicles driving those worn buttstocks into the thawing ground.

Tom Brokaw was right.

#608670 - 02/11/08 01:48 AM Re: Part I and now Part II [Re: Teufelhunden]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Army pukes and NG guys had it easy? Yea ok lol I just love to see how you continue to bash other services. Hey arent those Marines drawing down their combat numbers in Iraq? Hey arent their deployments about half of an Army deployment? We are all in this together and the bashing gets you nowhere.

#608749 - 02/11/08 07:10 AM Re: Part I and now Part II [Re: smstone22]
Bertman
16 Point

Loc: TREESTAND

My dad was with the ARMY for 40 years and PROUD of it.bash the armed forces and you can kiss it.

#609119 - 02/11/08 11:19 AM Re: Part I and now Part II [Re: Bertman]
goose17
10 Point

Loc: smith county

I'm in the army and I'm on my second tour over,,we don't have it easy.
#609152 - 02/11/08 11:53 AM Re: Part I and now Part II [Re: goose17]
Teufelhunden
14 Point

What are y'all talking about?

goose, hi. Where you been?

#609365 - 02/11/08 02:27 PM Re: Part I and now Part II [Re: Teufelhunden]
goose17
10 Point

I have been trying to get though this deployment in Iraq.
#609368 - 02/11/08 02:31 PM Re: Part I and now Part II [Re: goose17]
Teufelhunden
14 Point

When you coming home?

#610921 - 02/12/08 02:08 PM Re: Part I [Re: Teufelhunden]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Steven, Bertman, and Goose.

The reference to NG and Army in the initial post in this thread (which was written a year ago) appears to be a spring 2006 personal observation by tnhunter16 of the demeanor of other military service recruits and their perceptions(and his), right or wrong, of what lay in store for them in basic training the morning before they left. The choice of the word “pukes” was not a wise one, but I doubt any malice or genuine disrespect was intended. If you re-read that post, you’ll see some less-than-complimentary things were said about some of his fellow Marine recruits as well.

Interservice rivalry has been a fact of life for as long as the history of military organizations has been written. It appears unlikely to go away any time soon. The intense loyalty to one’s own branch that is engendered from day one results in a degree of dedication that sometimes results in enthusiasm and pride clouding judgement. What is important is that when the chips are down, everyone has everyone else’s back. I am privileged to have friends spanning two generations of combat service in four wars among them. They represent all branches of the armed services and have numerous ribbons (and scars) to show for it. They are not at all hesitant to make uncomplimentary remarks about other services, but in almost the same breath, will then tell me a story of incredible bravery about a member of a different service.

I understand your feelings, but recommend that you re-read the “Woodbury Funeral” post in this thread. If you don’t know who Tom Brokaw was, he wrote “The Greatest Generation.” It is the story of the men who survived the depression, won World War II, and went on to build the greatest nation the world has ever seen. Tnhunter16's story is about seven elderly members of that Greatest Generation who braved cold weather and the ravages of old age to render a perfectly executed final salute to one of their brothers-in-arms who had gone on to his reward. He favorably compares one of those men to a character in “Saving Private Ryan.” It was only a movie, but it was a movie about the U.S. Army. That reference and the mention of “The Greatest Generation” (ALL of them) are not the words of someone who holds a disrespectful, deep-seated visceral contempt for other service members. Quite the opposite I would argue.

I am grateful for and respectful of the service of every Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine and Coastguardsman who has ever served honorably, and believe that each of you and tnHunter16 are also. Incidentally, my late father, who did not have much good to say about the Marines, was nonetheless quite proud that one of our cousins had enlisted in the Marines at the start of WWII and served a remarkable 30 year career. My father was himself a veteran of WWII, having proudly served almost 5 years in the Army Air Corps. As the son of an Army member of the Greatest Generation, I was not offended by the line in the first post, and hope that each of you after reading “Woodbury Funeral” again, would not be either. In fact, I took "Woodbury Funeral" as a tribute to my father and all those like him

Goose17, Steven and tnhunter16, thank you for your service. Bertman my thanks for your dad’s service as well.

Goose, not having seen you on here in a while, I’d wondered if you were deployed again. In the past 14 months, I’ve sent 24 “care packages” to Iraq and Afghanistan. If you’d care to let me know what’s needed and provide an APO, I’d be honored to make it 25+.

#610961 - 02/12/08 02:32 PM Re: Part I [Re: Bambi Buster]
comprifleshooter
8 Point

Loc: Westmoreland

Well said Sonny...Great writing Jon.

#611631 - 02/12/08 08:09 PM Re: Part I [Re: comprifleshooter]
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

I know exactly how you felt going to parris island,i was there 2 years ago and i am trying to build up the nerve to go back.Its not easy by a long shot.And as for the rivalry,Marine think they are the best,out of the services,that is what the Recruiters tell you from day one and then the DI's drill it into your head.I don't think he meant anything by it.

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#614096 - 02/14/08 09:44 AM Re: Part I [Re: cecil30-30]
goose17
10 Point

Bambi Buster,I know Tnhunter didn't mean anything by it.Thanks for the offer for the package,But I'm fornutate enough to have good supprt from my family.
#614636 - 02/14/08 03:01 PM Re: Part I [Re: goose17]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Originally Posted By: goose17
Bambi Buster,I know Tnhunter didn't mean anything by it.Thanks for the offer for the package,But I'm fornutate enough to have good supprt from my family.

You're very welcome. Good for your family and for you. Thanks for the reply. PM sent.

#616229 - 02/15/08 12:03 PM Re: Part I [Re: ]
goose17
10 Point

Bambi Buster,I didn't get a message
#617036 - 02/15/08 09:12 PM Re: Part I [Re: goose17]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Originally Posted By: goose17
Bambi Buster,I didn't get a message

Not quite sure why, but the internet has never been one of my strong points. Probably because I was born in the first half of the 20th century. I'll just paste the jist of it here below. Not sure if the email address in your profile is still valid, but I'm sending the full PM to that also.

"Glad to hear you have the support of your family. If there is anyone in your unit who is not so fortunate, I'd be honored to send something for him. I'm not looking for credit, I'd be happy to send it to you and you could pass it on as a gift from a nameless but grateful American. I do my best to make "I support the troops" more than just a slogan on a bumper sticker. Also, please let me know if your situation changes and there is anything you need.

My sincere thanks to you and all those there with you. Take care of yourselves and of one another."

#635389 - 02/27/08 10:48 AM Re: Part I and now Part II [Re: Teufelhunden]
Blue5
Woodpile Boys
16 Point

Loc: Chapel Hill, TN

good stories!

Page all of 3 123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (gun nut, fins&fur, Cowman71, RAFI) and 59 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.008 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.