Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 10 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#483539 - 11/07/07 08:46 AM Re: 326 yards [Re: nabowhunter]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

ewc,
Don't be too hard on the boys who question some things that they hear from fellow hunters. LOL I once knew a guy who boasted to anyone who would listen that he killed a deer at 300 yards with an open sighted flintlock! OK, fine, whatever. However, the same guy would go to parties, carry around a .17 Remington catridge in his pocket and whip it out at every opportunity(the shell) and commence to tell everyone that he blew a deer's head off with that round, as in completely separated the head from the body! So, our fraternity has it's fair share of BS'ers, whom most of us have met from time to time. When we hear of some extraordinary feat of marksmanship, it is understandable that some would be suspect. Just go on with your deal, and pull a Quigley on the next one. Good hunting.

Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish proverb

#483562 - 11/07/07 09:08 AM Re: 326 yards [Re: nabowhunter]
high country
10 Point

Loc: Unicoi County

Originally Posted By: NAbowhunter
 Originally Posted By: Cuttin Caller
^5 ewc

Wasn't to long ago someone else got hammered pretty hard for the kill and shot they made. I hope you can handle it as well as they did.

I don't what size the deer is, if the hunter is proud of their kill then so am i.

Congrats man!

BTW its some of the post on this tread that has turned me away from posting hunting experiences I have had.

Ditto! There is no doubt about that CC. This site has turned to crap when a man can't post an accomplishment without having to defend it to people.

I post very little on here anymore for the exact same reason.

Congrats on the shot!

BTW, when did long range shooting become unethical? Is it just unethical for whitetail deer, but still ok for mule deer, elk, moose, bear, sheep, and antelope?

Two very good post, I don't care if it was a 500-yard shot if you feel confident in you're abilities I say go for it. I was with a friend of mine on a draw hunt on the last evening of the last day and seen him kill a buck that had already shed his antlers (thought it was a doe) at over 400-yards with a Marlin 336 30-30. I thought he made a fabulous shot, of course he didn't hit it until his 6th shot and yes it dropped in its tracks (hit it in the neck). So if you can do it go for it, congrats on the shot and don't mind some on here they ain't happy unless they’re ridiculing someone…

And trust me if you had said you made that shot and didn't post what you did it with you would have got hammered for that as well so most of the time on here you can't win no matter what you do. That's why I've just recently started posting again after a 2-year read only mentality, we'll see how it goes from here. Thing's suppose to change under new management so far I haven't seen it but we'll see.

Edited by high country (11/07/07 09:10 AM)

#483568 - 11/07/07 09:10 AM Re: 326 yards [Re: ewc]
3rdTripper
6 Point

Loc: Paktiya province Afghanistan c...

Very impressive shot.

#483608 - 11/07/07 09:34 AM Re: 326 yards [Re: 3rdTripper]
UPSman
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Powell Tn

[censored] good shot ewc! Bet you cannot do that with a CVA Most people on here don't know you, I do. I'd like to have been there to see the fur fly.

#483732 - 11/07/07 11:08 AM Re: 326 yards [Re: UPSman]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

Congrats. Ignore the negative ************ people. Dang good shooting. I too have quit posting because of the people who have to run everyone down but thought you deserved a ^5 for the accomplishment.

You practiced, knew your weapon, and took care of business. Well done and enough said.

#484289 - 11/07/07 07:25 PM Re: 326 yards [Re: fishboy1]
bow_vol
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Ooltewah, TN

I was gonna say congrats until UPSman tried to vouch for you !

Congrats anyway !!

#484388 - 11/07/07 08:09 PM Re: 326 yards [Re: bow_vol]
Stalker
8 Point

Loc: Greene / Cocke County

I would not care what the negative comments were or who they came from...Anyone who dedicates enough time and energy to figure out a 300+ yrd shot out of a muzzle loader, practice it, then actually get into the right moment durring a hunt to use what you have figured, tried and verified...Well I say ^5, congrats! Awsome shot!

I recently pulled off my longest shot with a Muzzle Loader on a Coyote. It does not compare at all to 300+ but I had it down at the range and put the dog down on the ground! 110yrds...

Again Congrats! Awsome shot! I would have loved to see that!

#484582 - 11/07/07 09:07 PM Re: 326 yards [Re: sharris10]
JDBinTN
8 Point

Loc: SE TENN

Originally Posted By: sharris10
I say congrats on a fine shot. You knew your weapon and felt confident with the shot. Congrats again!

with a smokeless ML and that scope 326 yds. is within reason

#485234 - 11/08/07 11:00 AM Re: 326 yards [Re: ]
megalomaniac
12 Point

Loc: Mississippi

Congrats!

I love long range shooting. I suppose that would be comparable to around 600 yards with a fast moving rifle.

The capability to hit any target at what normally would be considered extreme distances is directly proportional to the amount of time spent at the range. As long as you've got your drops worked out, the gun groups well at that distance, and you consider the wind drift will be extreme with a slow moving, poor BC bullet, there's no reason 300 yards is not out of the question in the right hands. Gotta remember, there were snipers even in the Civil War who were capable of hitting beyond 500 yards!

BTW, have I seen that scope before? \:\)

#485572 - 11/08/07 02:40 PM Re: 326 yards [Re: megalomaniac]
ewc
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

"Gotta remember, there were snipers even in the Civil War who were capable of hitting beyond 500 yards!"

That's what I find impressive. They did'nt have the tools we have now, but they were more proficient with their weapon than most today. Read a story somewhere about a fellow that killed an indian chief at 1500 yards.

Jon-

You've not seen this one. The one I got from you is on a 270wsm - looks great too (would look better if I could find a way for Talley to get me their lightweights in Gunmetal Gray).

I really think that reticle is fantastic for my purposes - especially on a muzzleloader. Coupled with a rangefinder, longer shots are just not that hard. Turrets may be more precise, but a little time at the range and you can be more than competent in the field at deer-sized game.

Chris-

You're not right :). CVA - no thanks. Matt killed a 120 or so 8pnt behind his parents last nite. Anderson County. Killed it with his Savage and the load above at 60 yards. (I think that's what he told me). He said the bullet did not exit.

Everyone else-

Thanks for the positive posts. They're appreciated.

Page 4 of 10 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
THEdonkey0515, muddyhunter, davey1230, MisquitoNet, strutter rutter
13079 Registered Users
Who's Online
8 registered (matt_brown, Setterman, meat dog man, scn, Cottontop, gun nut, 1 invisible) and 76 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13079 Members
42 Forums
88139 Topics
1032511 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.215 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.