Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#473662 - 10/29/07 09:29 PM Lunar Based Rut Theory
pass-thru
10 Point

Loc: va beach

I'm sure most of you are familiar with this theory, has discussed every year in D & DH. This year's prediction puts this week and next week as the prime weeks to hunt.

What do you all think about the merits of this theory? Are they on to something or is it just a load of BS?

#473884 - 10/30/07 06:08 AM Re: Lunar Based Rut Theory [Re: pass-thru]
pastorbmp
12 Point

Loc: Wartburg,TN

This is just my opinion, based on anecdotal evidence and common sense observations, plus having read Laroche and Alsheimers research. I do not think the Moon has anything to do with when the rut comes in or peaks. I DO believe that the moon affects deer movement, thus moon phases may make it APPEAR like it affects rutting behavior, just like weather. So, during the rut - if you have the right moon phase and cold weather - you have got the recipe to see a lot of deer movement during the day. If it is during the rut, and it is hot and/or wrong moon phase - most activity may be at night or limited movement.

Again, this is just my opinion and "I ain't no expert"! BSK and others would be qualified to answer this...not me.

1Ti 1:15: ...Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

#473954 - 10/30/07 07:27 AM Re: Lunar Based Rut Theory [Re: pastorbmp]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

I used to think the days leading up to the full moon were the best for rutting activity this time of year, but anymore I think it is more the right time and weather actually affects how much activity we hunters see. I generally see more deer while hunting during a full moon then on a new moon.
#474035 - 10/30/07 08:32 AM Re: Lunar Based Rut Theory [Re: ]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

If the weather is warm, I don't care what type of moon or where we are in the lunar cycle, deer movement during daylight hours will be minimal even during all stages of the rut. Most of the chasing, seeking, and breeding will occur at night when the temperatures drop.For the main farm I hunt, The first two weeks of 1st rifle season is when the mature bucks are up and running does. My personal favorite days are November 17-25 ( given the temps are cool).

#474055 - 10/30/07 08:53 AM Re: Lunar Based Rut Theory [Re: pass-thru]
TN RDG RNR
12 Point

Loc: Rhea County

November is my favorite time to be in the woods for many reasons including I believe that where I hunt the rut is in full swing SOMETIME during the month. So I will be taking nearly the whole month off to hunt.

I will go along with weather/temps being the driving force behind deer movement during daylight hours whether bucks are rutting or not.

#474440 - 10/30/07 01:34 PM Re: Lunar Based Rut Theory [Re: TN RDG RNR]
Buncome_ridge_hunter
4 Point

Loc: Belvidere, TN USA

On the farm I hunt most chasing is occurring durring the second rifle season much closer to Christmas. If I could choose just 2 days to hunt they would be November & December 26.

#476845 - 11/01/07 10:44 AM Re: Lunar Based Rut Theory [Re: ]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

The "moon influencing breeding dates" theory has been full explored. It is totally bogus. Breeding peaks on or about the same day ever year in each given location.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#476847 - 11/01/07 10:45 AM Re: Lunar Based Rut Theory [Re: BSK]
TAS
6 Point

Loc: Hickman County

HEY! Welcome back.

#476860 - 11/01/07 11:02 AM Re: Lunar Based Rut Theory [Re: ]
BSK
Non-Typical

Been very busy lately!

All my clients want everything updated just before the "big seasons" start.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#476867 - 11/01/07 11:09 AM Re: Lunar Based Rut Theory [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

Now the fact that the moon does not influence actual breeding timing DOESN'T mean that it doesn't influence what hunters see while hunting. Primarily the weather, but also secondarily moon phases, influence daylight deer activity. Thi can lead to the situation where the best daylight activity may not occur when the maximum breeding is going on.

Hot weather can drive all breeding into the night-time hours, even during the peak of the rut. "Good" conditions can bring so much breeding into the daylight hours, when hunters can see it, that hunters can believe the peak of breeding was at a different time than it really was.

What I'm getting at is, the peak of breeding always occurs on about the same dates every year (give or take a couple of days). Yet peak DAYLIGHT rutting activity may not fall on those dates, depending on weather and moon conditions.

During a big project in GA where we were collecting enough fetal conception dates to know when peak breeding was every year, we would ask the hunters--based on what they saw while hunting--when they thought the peak of the rut had occured each year. Invariably, they did not pick the actual peak of breeding. In fact, sometimes they saw the most activity as much as two weeks away from the actual peak of breeding.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
28 registered (BraveScout, fatboy, medic, RodBone75, varmint1111, Fearless, 2 invisible) and 88 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95976 Topics
1123863 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.063 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.