Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#472767 - 10/29/07 02:01 PM young bucks chasing -- question
Greg .
aPoStROpHe PolIcE
16 Point

Loc: NC Piedmonts

I have a few yearling bucks on my land and the times I've been out, I have seen them heavily into chasing the does and being aggressive toward each other. This morning, heard a snort and chase, and later had a 3 pt yearling with a fresh wound on his right ham (pink meat showing) walk by (within 10 yards, so I got a good look). I think a slightly bigger-bodied and antlered forkie (I saw him, too) did this to him when I heard the snort-chase.

Question -- How much of an indication is this that there aren't any/many adult or mature bucks around? I remember BSK writing that older buck will produce hormones or some substance that suppresses rutting behavior in yearling bucks. These youngsters are serious.

#473431 - 10/29/07 07:58 PM Re: young bucks chasing -- question [Re: Greg .]
Food Plot 101
8 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville,TN USA

Are you certain they're not 2.5 yo? Only a small difference in age but bigger difference in aggression.
#473658 - 10/29/07 09:26 PM Re: young bucks chasing -- question [Re: Food Plot 101]
pass-thru
10 Point

Loc: va beach

I'm not an expert, but I've read where even with a balanced age structure, close to 20% of does are bread by yearlings. So even with big guys around, yearlings are participating, probably just not to the same degree. I imagine you can probably distinguish among yearlings, some are probably submissive and don't participate at all, some probably chomping at the bit and will fight an older buck, these would be the ones showing rutting behavior no matter what.

On a side not I was hunting this afternoon and had a yearling chase a button buck into range, then sent check him.....almost earned the button (which was a big one) an arrow through the lungs, but thankfully I saw the buttons first.

#474582 - 10/30/07 03:28 PM Re: young bucks chasing -- question [Re: ]
156p&y
10 Point

Loc: Franklin Tn

Young bucks will sometimes even show this behavior in early bow season. We are getting close to seeing big deer on their feet. I don't think we will see any actual chasing until another week or two. The deer in middle TN just started scraping decent. I hunted a field this morning and watched 15 different does, and killed one that only had solid green in her stomach. At least I know where I'll be when they start coming in. I also watched an older doe pee on her hocks, this usually only happens right before and during the rutting phase. Several of the does were very interested in my buck decoy which also shows me a sign that are going to start interacting more with either sex in the next several weeks.

#474588 - 10/30/07 03:37 PM Re: young bucks chasing -- question [Re: Food Plot 101]
Greg .
aPoStROpHe PolIcE
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Food Plot 101
Are you certain they're not 2.5 yo?

I'm as certain as I can be without looking at their teeth. One (the forkie) was right under me twice and the one that received the wound was within about 10 yards of me, so I got a good look at both. Both looked like does with little, thin, antlers.

Originally Posted By: TC4ever
I allways thought that "young" bucks chasing was a precursor to the actual rut.Big boys don't waste their energy till the does are actually receptive. Doesn't the amount of daylight\length of days trigger the rut?

Yes, it is an indication of the pre-rut, but I'm just asking what, if anything, does this tell me about the local buck population. And yes, as I understand it, it is photoperiod that triggers the rut.

And oh, yeah, they both visited a scrape that I freshen up, and the forkie actually appeared to pee in it, too.

#476364 - 10/31/07 08:23 PM Re: young bucks chasing -- question [Re: Greg .]
156p&y
10 Point

Loc: Franklin Tn

Originally Posted By: Greg .
Yes, it is an indication of the pre-rut, but I'm just asking what, if anything, does this tell me about the local buck population. And yes, as I understand it, it is photoperiod that triggers the rut.

And oh, yeah, they both visited a scrape that I freshen up, and the forkie actually appeared to pee in it, too.

Greg I don't think you can go on the younger deer's behavior, and get an idea of whether or not there are mature deer in the area. But I will say that young deer will continue to try and show dominance until a mature animal shows up.

I've found tons of scrapes the last two days. It appears the older deer are just now making their presence known. I'd be in the woods as much as possible.

#476858 - 11/01/07 11:02 AM Re: young bucks chasing -- question [Re: 156p&y]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Even in a well balanced herd, yearling bucks will "pester" and chase does during the pre-rut. In fact, it's not uncommon to see yearling bucks flat-out chasing does just before the does reach estrus. The doe is not ready yet but the young buck can either see or smell that she is getting close (bucks can visually identify a doe in estrus). If you let the young buck pass, an older buck may be following slowly behind. He knows the does aren't ready yet so he doesn't waste his energy chasing them, but he follows at a distance at his own pace. Once the does really do reach estrus, the chasing order reverses itself, with the older buck dogging right on the doe and younger bucks trailing behind.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#476886 - 11/01/07 11:24 AM Re: young bucks chasing -- question [Re: BSK]
Greg .
aPoStROpHe PolIcE
16 Point

Thanks, all.

Bryan, what about the suppression of rutting behavior in young bucks by older bucks? Is there anything to that?

#476928 - 11/01/07 11:46 AM Re: young bucks chasing -- question [Re: Greg .]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Greg .
Thanks, all.

Bryan, what about the suppression of rutting behavior in young bucks by older bucks? Is there anything to that?

Absolutely. In "tuned up" deer herds--those with balanced sex ratios and advanced buck age structures-- it's very common to see yearling bucks acting more like does (feeding) during the peak of the rut instead of chasing.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#477261 - 11/01/07 03:36 PM Re: young bucks chasing -- question [Re: BSK]
Greg .
aPoStROpHe PolIcE
16 Point

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
79 registered (Nitro, smalljawbasser, lung-buster, Heavy Mass, huntintn, 250sav, 7 invisible) and 120 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93153 Topics
1088139 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.109 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.