Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#471387 - 10/28/07 06:02 PM food plots pic..
deerchaser007
10 Point

Loc: Bradyville, TN USA

I ain't got much to show this year with the ongoing drought up here. But last weeks 2 inches or so has helped some. With no mast ,. i sure was hoping for more rain to keep the plots healthy though.
This is the bottom plot and by far the best. North facing in a bottom ,.. so it held moisture better.

This is my little honey hole plot. Its in arrowleaf, red, and ladino clover with wheat. AND,.. overseeded oats. Its in bottom,... but on the south side of the hill. More sun,.. less growth. BUT,.. ain't bad. Its being browsed pretty heavily also.

And this is the ridgetop. Hanging on ,.. but barely. Its been a fight keeping this plot going. Drought hurt it badly,.. but heavy browse makes it worse. This plot was full of buckwheat,.. now its nothing but 2 inch nubs coming out of the ground. Oats and rape are being hammered and the clovers are holding there own. Just needed more rain up top to get the results i was looking for this year!!

Maybe next year.........!!

#471419 - 10/28/07 06:28 PM Re: food plots pic.. [Re: deerchaser007]
deerchaser007
10 Point

This doe seems to approve of what results did happen on top though.......

#471475 - 10/28/07 06:44 PM Re: food plots pic.. [Re: deerchaser007]
PRB
6 Point

Loc: Pinewood (Hickman County)

Congratulations. Those plots look great to me.
Is the view from the third picture down (honey hole) taken from one of your hunting positions ?

#471523 - 10/28/07 07:02 PM Re: food plots pic.. [Re: PRB]
deerchaser007
10 Point

PRB,.. naw,.. that pic is on the logging road on the other side. There is deep ditch(washout) right below me. THe logging road goes up beside the washout. The road goes up and around the wash and comes back down that side the plot is on. I also plant the road leading down to that plot. In total (road and plot), is 1/2 acre.

My stand is placed further up the road.. they typically come off the top and make their way down that road to the plot. OR,.. come up the road after feeding. Thats were i want to be,. entering and leaving the food source going to cover.

#471525 - 10/28/07 07:02 PM Re: food plots pic.. [Re: PRB]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

Look pretty freaking good to me. I should show some pics. of mine in GA as of last week, and then you will feel better. Hold on I do have one pic from there...

Here is a pic. of 2 longbeards vacuming up ungerminated oats, plots were planted on the 22nd of September and were dirt before they got .50" on the 18th of October. When I left they were just coming up.

#471565 - 10/28/07 07:15 PM Re: food plots pic.. [Re: ]
deerchaser007
10 Point

Your right lostsoul,.. i have it bad,. you guys in GA have it TERRIBLE!!!

Nice longbeards though,... i'm a huge turkey hunting fanatic,. 60 percent of my management practices focus on turkey. BUT,.. still focus on good habitat for deer in isolated pockets spread out across my property.

What kind of tree you in there?? Looks like i see some kind of fruit on that limb in the right side of the pic. Its alittle blurry to tell though...

#471696 - 10/28/07 08:16 PM Re: food plots pic.. [Re: deerchaser007]
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: deerchaser007
Your right lostsoul,.. i have it bad,. you guys in GA have it TERRIBLE!!!

Nice longbeards though,... i'm a huge turkey hunting fanatic,. 60 percent of my management practices focus on turkey. BUT,.. still focus on good habitat for deer in isolated pockets spread out across my property.

What kind of tree you in there?? Looks like i see some kind of fruit on that limb in the right side of the pic. Its alittle blurry to tell though...

That is a persimmon tree which is located in a grove of about 15 mature trees half of which were loaded with fruit. I don't hunt food plots but with the bounty of persimmons I had no choice.

The part of GA I am in had good rains up until 3 days before I planted this year and since they have had just under an inch.

6 years ago we had no turkeys, oh you might hear one or two, and since then we did everything possible to manage for turkeys with deer on the side. The deer mgt. was easy, and the turkey's responded from us clearing 20 acres of openings and daylighting roads to provide open grounds. That along with some select cutting of hardwoods and a pine thinning or two and we are in fat city with LB's. In 4 days last year 2 of us killed 4 and missed one a piece as well.

I am like you and enjoy deer hunting but it is all passing time to turkey season.

#471764 - 10/28/07 08:59 PM Re: food plots pic.. [Re: ]
deerchaser007
10 Point

I don't blame you. I would hunt those persimmons also. None of mine produced this year ,.. and no acorns to bragg about either. The bad part,.. all food plot usage is at night. Ranging in times between 8 til 11 or 1 til 3. With knowing this ,. hunting my trails between the food source and the cover is worthless. They have been and gone even before daylight and well after dusk. I'm not sure were i'm gonna place myself for muzzleloader next weekend with this information from my cams. I guess i'll hit the thickets maybe...... its a tuff year. No food , deer must move, but WERE will they move?? The question we all want to know!!

#471782 - 10/28/07 09:05 PM Re: food plots pic.. [Re: deerchaser007]
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: deerchaser007
I don't blame you. I would hunt those persimmons also. None of mine produced this year ,.. and no acorns to bragg about either. The bad part,.. all food plot usage is at night. Ranging in times between 8 til 11 or 1 til 3. With knowing this ,. hunting my trails between the food source and the cover is worthless. They have been and gone even before daylight and well after dusk. I'm not sure were i'm gonna place myself for muzzleloader next weekend with this information from my cams. I guess i'll hit the thickets maybe...... its a tuff year. No food , deer must move, but WERE will they move?? The question we all want to know!!

GA was easy, acorns galore and persimmons. That combined with no rain since mid september put most the does in the water oaks near the creek and guess who was close.

Here in TN I smacked 2 does in 2 hunts in Unit B and thought it was going to be one of those years. Then went to Unit A and it has been deplorable. I have yet to see a deer a stand and there is no food like you say, and a 20 acre wheat field in the bottom full of lush green wheat. No deer to be found going or coming from it. I am miffed as to what is occurring and hung it up until after the first hard freeze to see if that changes things.

#471792 - 10/28/07 09:10 PM Re: food plots pic.. [Re: ]
deerchaser007
10 Point

I hunted every weekend of archery except 1,... zero deer seen. BUT,. i know they are there. Trail cams and browse on plots and natural forbs in my habitat tell me so. BUT,.. i can't figure out why i can't see them while hunting. Its a strange year to say the least!!

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (backstraps) and 84 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.