Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#471323 - 10/28/07 05:22 PM What would you do?
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

The pics. below are of a buck I shot in 2004, and did not recover. After the shot and upon inspecting the scene it was obvious the shot was high and the deer may or may not survive. Well last year (first year w/ trail cams) he shows up on the cam 150 yards from where I first shot him as a 3.5 year old 8 pt., well now he is a 6 pt. and best guess is 5.5 years old.

This year he shows up on the cams again and is still a 6 pt. and more then likely 6.5 years old. Well a week ago Thursday I let him walk even after he presented me with numerous 20 yard shots.

The question is from a mgt. standpoint should I remove him or should I let him live since he survived one blow from me already.

The pics. are from 2 years if you look at the dates and you can clearly see the healed wound right behind the shoulder as well. Keep in mind this is in GA and not here in TN, I have one tag left in GA as I killed a good 8 pt. last week.

I don't believe in Cull Bucks and this deer has a genetic trait that a few of the deer on my place exhibit which is short tines, wide racks, and giant bodies. BTW the pics. do not do this deer justice he is a beast, looks like a horse in the woods.

So what do you think or what would you do?

#471363 - 10/28/07 05:48 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: ]
deerchaser007
10 Point

Loc: Bradyville, TN USA

At that age,.. its time for him to be shot. I would take him. Not from a cull buck point of view,. from a management point of view. If he has any dominance in the area,. he may be keeping other mature bucks from entering the area. For that reason,.. and his age,.. i would shoot in heartbeat.

#471512 - 10/28/07 06:59 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: deerchaser007]
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: deerchaser007
At that age,.. its time for him to be shot. I would take him. Not from a cull buck point of view,. from a management point of view. If he has any dominance in the area,. he may be keeping other mature bucks from entering the area. For that reason,.. and his age,.. i would shoot in heartbeat.

Good point and one I never thought about. After seeing him 10 days or so ago, he was scared up and has a broken tine and split ear. I would say he has been battling it out. He was about 1/2 mile from where the cam pics. are taken so he is making his rounds.

I hate to shoot him because he is like an old foe and beat me once, but I can't have him running folks off.

Not much too look at on the headgear but he is very mature and very big bodied. His muzzle is gray and eyes sunk back in his head.

#471544 - 10/28/07 07:09 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: ]
deerchaser007
10 Point

And as i say alot on this forum,... (in my opinion),.. his headgear ain't pretty. BUT,.. a 6.5 year old buck is a true trophy from anywere in this country.

At that age,.. he is for sure fighting!! And at that age and body structure,.. he very well may be winning alot of battles. He's doing something right,.. he's still there. Somebody bigger ain't run him out of his home yet!!

#471636 - 10/28/07 07:51 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: deerchaser007]
ffffffffffffffffffff
Spike

Loc: Hickman

all mature deer need to die. anything over 4 1/2 has done it's jub and needs to go for reasons mentioned above.
#471686 - 10/28/07 08:12 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: deerchaser007]
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: deerchaser007
And as i say alot on this forum,... (in my opinion),.. his headgear ain't pretty. BUT,.. a 6.5 year old buck is a true trophy from anywere in this country.

At that age,.. he is for sure fighting!! And at that age and body structure,.. he very well may be winning alot of battles. He's doing something right,.. he's still there. Somebody bigger ain't run him out of his home yet!!

Funny you should mention that last bit, from cam pics. and in field sightings/kills he isn't the king of the castle or he is happy to share the wealth. I am in a tough spot as my neighbor is the doe slaughterer and does so without any forethought as to how many need to be taken each year. I am somewhat hesitant to wade in on the Does and it is becoming clear this year that 10-15 need to go. Hence the reason I believe more older age bucks are tolerating each other.

#471753 - 10/28/07 08:47 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: ]
deerchaser007
10 Point

Maybe BSK will chime in on this one. I don't have any experience with several mature bucks using a specific property at the same time,.. so i don't know how its affects the attitudes amongst them. In my area,..if you had 2 mature bucks (4.5 or older) , you have accomplished something. BUT,.. BSK has several mature bucks on his place and they knock out some does also. He should be able to shed some light.........

#471761 - 10/28/07 08:57 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: deerchaser007]
Unregistered

Here are the two which we harvested like week. From trail cams best I can tell I have one that will push 160", and then a slough in the 130"-140" range. This is a relatively large tract of land plenty big to hold 5 or 6 truly mature deer. We also border a smaller 1800 acre tract and several 500 acre tracts all of which are under QDM and maybe TDM to a degree. So there is plenty of room for deer to roam and none of them gets that much pressure. These are the first 2 bucks killed this year and last year on the combined properties only 4 were killed 2 of which were killed by me.

It is the perfect storm so to speak with tons of cover, water, food, and did I mention thick cover.

These two aren't any record book deer but good quality mature bucks, and what we set our sights on for harvesting and our goals for managing. The wide 8 pt. aged out at 3.5 and the heavy 9 pt. aged out 5.5 years old. Just a side note the 9 pt. was killed out of the same stand I saw the 6pt. this thread originated with.

#471784 - 10/28/07 09:06 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: ]
deerchaser007
10 Point

Nice'ens dude!! One day i might try to get on such a lease myself. Its really the way to go for folks like us who are serious in QDM hunting and managing. Its just about impossible to do it on small tracks of land with multiple owners and leasers and all can't get on the same page. BUT,.. i can't complain with the direction myself and the neighbors are heading. Its got ALOT better. And thats only around 1200 acres.
Looks like y'all have a really good program and are producing results. Good for y'all ,.. you should be proud!!

#471812 - 10/28/07 09:25 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: deerchaser007]
Unregistered

Very proud indeed, I was lucky and this tract except for 400 acres had been in my family since the turn of the century. I had always hunted in AL and never thought about hunting there. Well long story short I got drug there 7 years ago to try turkeys out and found out how nieve I had been. We ( me and 1 other guy) took it over and opened some plots, daylighted roads, implemented a food plot program, thinned some Does, and then settled in for alot of watching to see what size bucks were reasonable to expect before we set our goals.

In 6 years it has come a long way, and we used to see 1 or 2 shooters a year and now we see upwards of 15 b/w the 2 of us and take 1 a piece maybe a second if it warrants it. We shoot 3.5 year old and older and take enough Does to keep things in check, but to be honest we can carry more deer then we do now IMO. Lot's of browse untouched even late in the year.

It really helps owning the dirt and the Good Lord definitely threw me a bone on this one and I am thankful to have it for the rest of my life.

We probably won't kill any B&C's off of it but I am satisfied with deer like above, and know we can grow them a little bigger just by the fact that age and great genetics aren't a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (buckarewhohayackhack) and 51 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.