Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#459407 - 10/21/07 10:08 AM Re: when bucks go missing.. [Re: BSK]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

Loc: Southern Wayne CO and NW Alaba...

Originally Posted By: BSK
I can't wait to see the final data from the Auburn GPS-collar study. They are specifically looking at the rut ranges of older bucks from one year to the next. Last number I heard was the average amount of overlap between rut ranges for a single buck from one year to the next is only around 30%, meaning individual bucks don't have much fidelity to the same rutting areas from year to year.

BSK,

TO what extent would a individual property affect these "shifts"?

I guess my main question is Auburn doing studies on several properties over several years or just one property over several years?

Is it possible say...for my property to be different than your's for example? Like...in the way or amount your bucks change ranges?

Would the local food, cover, pressure, herd health, buck:doe ratios be factors in this and if so, would every property not be different?

Or, is it just plain ol nature and deer are gonna do this regardless of where they are?

http://twitter.com/AlabamaSwamper

#462436 - 10/23/07 07:51 AM Re: when bucks go missing.. [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I don't know all of the details of the study design, but from what I've seen of rut-season trail camera data from numerous properties, I think this is normal for the deer world. It's simply amazing how often a particular buck uses a particular property during the rut one year, but never again. Or maybe he skips a year and shows up again the third year. Those types of patterns appear to be the norm rather than the exception for bucks that do shift areas during the rut. Not all do.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#462485 - 10/23/07 08:20 AM Re: when bucks go missing.. [Re: BSK]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

BSK,

The rut is weird. LOL

I've always wondered, as bucks chase does during that "peak" that as they breed a doe, then they may hit another one that takes him 1/2 mile one way, then he breeds her a day or two later and hits another one which carries him 1/2 mile farther and so on.

THe next year he may hit one at home that takes him the opposite direction and the scenerio repeats again, however, taking him 3 miles the other direction. Then returning home once the estrus does run out.

This being the reason for a "random" shift of areas more than a consistent shift.

#462576 - 10/23/07 09:13 AM Re: when bucks go missing.. [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
BSK
Non-Typical

I think the patterns will be more apparent when the full data is released.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#462660 - 10/23/07 10:16 AM Re: when bucks go missing.. [Re: BSK]
TAKE A CHANCE
4 Point

Assuming I wasn't married to my awesome wife....

Just think how far I would chase a lady in rut!!!!! LOL

#462877 - 10/23/07 12:30 PM Re: when bucks go missing.. [Re: TAKE A CHANCE]
BSK
Non-Typical

AS,

I think the data will show that it is far more than just bucks chasing does long distance. It will show complete shifts of range for the rut, and those ranges won't overlap much from year to year.

#462905 - 10/23/07 01:01 PM Re: when bucks go missing.. [Re: BSK]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

Would these be shifts before the actual rut begins. I'm guessing they will be shifting now and staying in that area until the rut is over or do they wait until the rut begins to peak?

Reckon they are like us? lol

We started out at one place like the mall. The next year it was the strip. The next we were at bars and so on. lol

Just being funny I guess. These animals are fascinating creatures to say the least.

Edited by AlabamaSwamper (10/23/07 01:03 PM)

#462933 - 10/23/07 01:13 PM Re: when bucks go missing.. [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
TAS
6 Point

Loc: Hickman County

"These animals are fascinating creatures to say the least."

Ain't that the truth. Do you think the whole shifting while in rut maybe mother natures way of preventing inbreeding?

#463192 - 10/23/07 04:27 PM Re: when bucks go missing.. [Re: TAS]
BSK
Non-Typical

I haven't seen th raw data yet, but I suspect it will be a temporary full shift in range. It may not take them completely off their "normal range" but a destinct shift in areas they are using, and it will last for a month or so.

#463201 - 10/23/07 04:30 PM Re: when bucks go missing.. [Re: TAS]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: TAS
"These animals are fascinating creatures to say the least."

Ain't that the truth. Do you think the whole shifting while in rut maybe mother natures way of preventing inbreeding?

Many deer behaviors may have started as methods for reducing inbreeding, yet those behaviors now serve a completely different purpose. Whitetailed deer appear to have many if not most of their unique social behaviors wrapped into producing maximum localized genetic diversity. That may be a species survival mechanism. Every localized population has such diverse genetics, no matter what environmental infuence they are faced with, some individuals will likely have an "accidental" adaptation for surviving and prospering under those conditions.

Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Urban deer Hunter, Mclem135, Cch, Timberninja31, Claims Rep.
13266 Registered Users
Who's Online
89 registered (Hunting Daddy, Master Chief, sgtwebb1, Florida Cracker 971, saltydog, WGK, 4 invisible) and 128 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13266 Members
42 Forums
92894 Topics
1085431 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.797 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.