Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#455588 - 10/18/07 11:35 AM Re: when bucks go missing.. [Re: ghosthunter]
Chris Tripp
10 Point

Loc: Brush Creek, TN

Originally Posted By: ghosthunter
gonna have to go and get that.

Join QDMA and request the October issue.

#455655 - 10/18/07 12:26 PM Re: when bucks go missing.. [Re: dr]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: dr
BSK, I understand that bucks can be very unpredictable. But I have also read of hunters killing a big buck that they have hunted, 2 or 3 seasons in a row, in the same area. I still believe some mature bucks like to spend most of their life in a relatively small area if they feel secure.

Without question, some bucks "stay home" and can be seen/trail-cam photographed year after year. But it is interesting to see how many bucks just "show up" on a property, stay for that season (or just the peak of the rut) and simply disappear, never to be seen again. Now a few actually "just show up" ever year, year after year, and are not a resident, but can be counted on to "be back next year." But to be honest, the percent of "regulars and repeaters" may be under 50% of the bucks using the property in any given year (and I'm talking square mile or less properties).

Now the question is, does this knowledge change my views on the best management practices? Not one iota. I still recommend passing up all bucks below the target age, and harvesting any bucks that meet the age requirement. But to see a particular buck and decide to pass him assuming he will be around next year is an iffy proposition.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#455737 - 10/18/07 01:01 PM Re: when bucks go missing.. [Re: BSK]
Chris Tripp
10 Point

agreed

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: dr
BSK, I understand that bucks can be very unpredictable. But I have also read of hunters killing a big buck that they have hunted, 2 or 3 seasons in a row, in the same area. I still believe some mature bucks like to spend most of their life in a relatively small area if they feel secure.

Without question, some bucks "stay home" and can be seen/trail-cam photographed year after year. But it is interesting to see how many bucks just "show up" on a property, stay for that season (or just the peak of the rut) and simply disappear, never to be seen again. Now a few actually "just show up" ever year, year after year, and are not a resident, but can be counted on to "be back next year." But to be honest, the percent of "regulars and repeaters" may be under 50% of the bucks using the property in any given year (and I'm talking square mile or less properties).

Now the question is, does this knowledge change my views on the best management practices? Not one iota. I still recommend passing up all bucks below the target age, and harvesting any bucks that meet the age requirement. But to see a particular buck and decide to pass him assuming he will be around next year is an iffy proposition.

#455880 - 10/18/07 02:27 PM Re: when bucks go missing.. [Re: Chris Tripp]
DeerSlayer
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Roane County, Tennessee

Same here. The knowledge that they deer may not ever come back around will not affect my hunting. I have passed on quite a number of small bucks and will continue to do so. I don't have the lust to just have to kill something bad enough to shoot the small ones.
Matthew 25:31-46
Are you a Sheep or a Goat?

#455896 - 10/18/07 02:35 PM Re: when bucks go missing.. [Re: DeerSlayer]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

If I've made a decision not to shoot a particular buck, it is because he doesn't meet my personal requirments as a shooter. I really don't care what happens to him after that. If my neighbor shoots him, then good for my neighbor and I hope he enjoyed the experience. I've never passed a buck because he wasn't big enough, only because he wasn't old enough. Maybe I'll see that buck next year and maybe I won't. And if I don't, then perhaps I'll see a buck old enough that someone else passed up last year.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#456300 - 10/18/07 07:02 PM Re: when bucks go missing.. [Re: BSK]
deerchaser007
10 Point

Loc: Bradyville, TN USA

Seriously ,.. whats up with the missing ear on the buck on page 49. Printing error?? Photoshop?? injury maybe?? I've never seen a deer with a missing ear bfore.....

#456370 - 10/18/07 07:28 PM Re: when bucks go missing.. [Re: deerchaser007]
TAS
6 Point

Loc: Hickman County

Originally Posted By: deerchaser007
Seriously ,.. whats up with the missing ear on the buck on page 49. Printing error?? Photoshop?? injury maybe?? I've never seen a deer with a missing ear bfore.....

\:D LOL, I don't know.... dog maybe?? My dad use to shoot the ears of deer that hung out in the fields close to roads with a 22-250. He said piercing their ears would smarten them up so road hunters wouldn't get em.

#456506 - 10/18/07 08:20 PM Re: when bucks go missing.. [Re: Chris Tripp]
ghosthunter
10 Point

Loc: chattanooga

Originally Posted By: Chris Tripp
 Originally Posted By: ghosthunter
gonna have to go and get that.

Join QDMA and request the October issue.
Guess that explains why they didn't have it on the shelf at Books A Million.

#456582 - 10/18/07 08:40 PM Re: when bucks go missing.. [Re: ghosthunter]
Chris Tripp
10 Point

You can join now for $30 dollars a year... or PM me, I can refer you for a discount.
#458499 - 10/19/07 10:57 PM Re: when bucks go missing.. [Re: Chris Tripp]
doublelung
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Brownsville, Tn

Kinda like catching a big bass in a certain spot in a lake,river or pond and then coming back a year later and catching another one in the same spot. I think big bucks are the same way, if they have everything they need food,water,cover,females and seclusion there will always be a big buck trying to use that area year in and year out.
Good info in the above post.

my 2 cents

DL

Page 2 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
83 registered (GOODWIN, fullstream, ADR, pastorbmp, Vermin93, Rockhound, 9 invisible) and 221 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85377 Topics
1031650 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.222 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.