Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#444804 - 10/12/07 08:05 PM Re: Cheap and easy trails [Re: Knothead]
Foggy54
10 Point

Loc: Clarksville

Hate to admit it but once I hunted a new Farm, In the after noon I found a stand built years ago.
Decided to hunt from it that afternoon, The next morning decided to hunt from it again.
Got out there at O-dark-30 walked in and looked all over for that stand. Decided to just sit at the base of a tree.
When day light came I was sitting 20 feet from the stand. Markers would have been nice that day.

I'd be an optimist, but it probably wouldn't work for me....

#444809 - 10/12/07 08:07 PM Re: Cheap and easy trails [Re: Foggy54]
Foggy54
10 Point

Ps. Guess I don't have the Daniel Boone Gene..

#445103 - 10/12/07 09:37 PM Re: Cheap and easy trails [Re: Foggy54]
Knothead
12 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: Foggy54
Hate to admit it but once I hunted a new Farm, In the after noon I found a stand built years ago.
Decided to hunt from it that afternoon, The next morning decided to hunt from it again.
Got out there at O-dark-30 walked in and looked all over for that stand. Decided to just sit at the base of a tree.
When day light came I was sitting 20 feet from the stand. Markers would have been nice that day.

Been there, done that.

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)“The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.”

#445318 - 10/12/07 11:37 PM Re: Cheap and easy trails [Re: Knothead]
Unicam Administrator
Grumpaw
16 Point

Loc: Dallas, GA. & Cookeville, TN

I actually combine both systems. I like to hunt out of the way places and usually there is an old skidder trail or something that gets me within a few hundred yards, I will then set up a non-reflective natural marker where I need to leave the trail. As I head to my stand I will bend twigs down at eye level so in the morning with a light I can see them. I will mark my stand with two bright eyes so I can see it as I get close. I have taken to this system over the years due to stand theft. Its way to easy for a thief to come in at night and clean stands out of the woods. I will not get stolen from again because I gave them a nice reflective trail to my stand.

John 15:13

#445708 - 10/13/07 12:49 PM Re: Cheap and easy trails [Re: Unicam]
Foggy54
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Unicam
I actually combine both systems. I like to hunt out of the way places and usually there is an old skidder trail or something that gets me within a few hundred yards, I will then set up a non-reflective natural marker where I need to leave the trail. As I head to my stand I will bend twigs down at eye level so in the morning with a light I can see them. I will mark my stand with two bright eyes so I can see it as I get close. I have taken to this system over the years due to stand theft. Its way to easy for a thief to come in at night and clean stands out of the woods. I will not get stolen from again because I gave them a nice reflective trail to my stand.

Good points.

#446540 - 10/13/07 10:02 PM Re: Cheap and easy trails [Re: Unicam]
Stovepipe
18 Point

Loc: N1549518,E738760

Originally Posted By: Unicam
I was at Cheatham WMA about 10 years ago before hunters got savvy on that situation. Unlike the 'campers' there, I commuted in for the hunt for each day of the drawing... I would get their well before daylight and 'flashlight' my way in....It was kinda of comical driving down the access roads about 4am and seeing everybody's trail-blazer eyes tacked on every tree at 10 yard intervals down into the woods...I previously scouted my prospective location on the afternoon before and did something similar to what you did...only problem: the tree I put my double reflector eyes had an empty 'meat and three' styrofoam at the base of it...look like somebody ate dinner and took a nap there the eve before.. \:o

#446805 - 10/14/07 08:19 AM Re: Cheap and easy trails [Re: Stovepipe]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

I used to make the reflective markers out of the 2" tape , cut in half lengthwise , then cut into 1/2" strips . The end result was hundreds of 1/2"x1" strips that I used tacks to attach to trees .
Now I don't bother ,and use Bright Eyes that I buy on sale at Walmart and the end of the season . \:D
As for keeping others off the trail , I might put a marker on the oppostire side of a road ,along with a few decoy tacks to lead them away from my stand .
I never put any tacks close to a road , and limit the useage in open areas . I also mark my tree with two tacks . I have never had a person find my trees I marked that I know of .

Edited by Radar (10/14/07 08:19 AM)

#450183 - 10/15/07 08:39 PM Re: Cheap and easy trails [Re: Radar]
Mossy Rack
4 Point

Loc: sumner county

I Know Im getting in on this a little late but I will definately
use the tape Thanks for the tip Droptine33

#455563 - 10/18/07 11:14 AM Re: Cheap and easy trails [Re: HOOK]
CZ284
8 Point

Loc: Rossville, Tn

Good idea- when you put the tape on the clothespins do you put it on both sides? That way you they'd be visible from either side, which is a big drawback in using tacks. Did I miss that in the initial suggestion?
Thanks.

#458430 - 10/19/07 09:59 PM Re: Cheap and easy trails [Re: CZ284]
Knothead
12 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: CZ284
Good idea- when you put the tape on the clothespins do you put it on both sides? That way you they'd be visible from either side, which is a big drawback in using tacks. Did I miss that in the initial suggestion?
Thanks.

CZ, yes, I put tape on both sides.

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)“The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.”

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway, ftwstn, Wild hog 44
13286 Registered Users
Who's Online
93 registered (Mudbone, leader, rjeffers, Dbllunger, old buck 171, rustyloafer, 13 invisible) and 143 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13286 Members
42 Forums
85298 Topics
1030883 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.231 seconds in which 0.01 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.