Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#431705 - 10/05/07 09:39 AM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: RS]
TCounty Hunter
4 Point

Loc: Tipton County

Quote:
from RS: TCounty Hunter,

Below is a pic of a ladder box stand that I built about 8 years ago. I will never build another one like it and wouldn't recommend you building one.

Man, that doesnt sound good. I just started on mine last night, and its basically going to be very similar to what you posted not to do \:\)

Its being built using treated 2x4x12 for the legs, treated 2/4 steps, and treated 2x3's for the walls/roof. Friend of mine tore out a deck for someone, and I got about 20 nice treated 2x6's from it, which we are ripping into 2x3's for the walls/roof. Here is a pic of what the "box" will look like. Except on mine, my 2x3's will be 6' tall for the roof design.

These pics below are from the site mentione below, these arent mine. I will take pics of mine this weekend.

I used 6'long treated 2/4's carriage bolted for the braces from the floor support down to the ladder.

The floor frame is being built to sit on top of the ladder stand, like the pic below. It has a built in V for the tree, so it wont be sitting square on the tree like your pic is, so that should help I hope. My floor area will be 4'x4'

The floor is also recessed in the front for easy access into the stand off the ladder.

Then I am using 3/4" plywood for the floor, 1/2" for the sides and roof.

I am building it into several sections so that I can haul out and assemble easily on site.

I got the idea from this website

http://tristan.homelinux.net/hunting/treestands.htm

we are building almost exact to these pics, just making minor modifications as I see necessary and what he said he would have done different, and adding the roof, cause his dont have a roof.

I really think this will work out ok. Will know by the weekend. The end result will look like this, except it will have a door on the front, and will have a slanted roof like yours does.

Edited by TCounty Hunter (10/05/07 09:45 AM)

#434262 - 10/06/07 11:16 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: RS]
cweand
10 Point

Loc: Memphis, TN, USA

Well come to Memphis, we just had the Mayoral and City council vote and there are political signs all over the place with lumber and coreplast sticking up everywhere. Last I heard they were illegal(i.e. need a permit to install) to stick up and every time there is an election you see them laying all over the place after it is over because people don't want to pick them up.
#437631 - 10/09/07 08:09 AM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: cweand]
TCounty Hunter
4 Point

yeah i was thinking that too cweand. i work in memphis, and there are 100's off them around.

psycho, my plan for the stand is to use 3/8" eye bolts and a turn buckle on the V of the stand and then i will see how it goes from there. I may place the stand between 2 trees close together as well, to provide more options of securing it.

I got mine built this weekend, painted and hauled to the woods, but ran out of time to get it put up. It looks pretty darn good though, slight alterations from above pics. I have pics of the whole process, i will try to get posted tonight.

#438156 - 10/09/07 01:00 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: TCounty Hunter]
JohnnyDollar
8 Point

Loc: tipton co. tn

you could use conduit to build the frame and then use flex-straps(zip ties) to attach the pre-drilled plastic/wood to the conduit after you stand the stand against the tree. This will save on the weight and you can modify the covering as needed.

#438455 - 10/09/07 03:43 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: JohnnyDollar]
Still-n-Quiet
10 Point

Loc: San Antonio, TX

I love the measuring tape strewn all over the place! ;\)

Searching for the elusive "Moderate" liberal and "Moderate" Muslim. Maybe they are hiding together...

Μολων λαβε

#438524 - 10/09/07 04:08 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: Still-n-Quiet]
TCounty Hunter
4 Point

never noticed the tape there, thats pretty funny. looks like one my daughter got holt of
#447445 - 10/14/07 03:00 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: ]
Knothead
12 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: psycho
 Originally Posted By: TCounty Hunter

psycho, my plan for the stand is to use 3/8" eye bolts and a turn buckle on the V of the stand and then i will see how it goes from there. I may place the stand between 2 trees close together as well, to provide more options of securing it.

The reason I ask is because there is alot of pressure/weight on the angle braces to the ladder...

I agree with Psycho..........especially considering the fact that the legs are only 2X4's. Treated or not, they're still only 1 3/4" X 3 1/2" and have to hold a lot of weight! I hope you use a harness! \:o

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)“The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.”

#453532 - 10/17/07 01:11 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: Knothead]
TCounty Hunter
4 Point

well, i understand i guess, but i see it a little different also. i would agree 100% if all of that weight were going to be applied to the legs and braces, but that wont be the case. the stand will be turnbuckled to the tree nice and tight just as a normal ladder stand would, and that will take on all of the rear weight. in the past we have taken a normal wooden ladder stand and added walls and a roof to it and had no problems. This is a little fancier and larger, but we think it will work just fine.

if its questionable at all, we will add more support to it, just have to see how it goes. the guy that helped me build it is a carpenter, so we will make it safe one way or another. if not, its been a pleasure knowing all of you \:\)

#460114 - 10/21/07 09:01 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: TCounty Hunter]
Knothead
12 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Here's mine I just built............not a ladder box stand, but a box stand, nonetheless.

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)“The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.”

#460130 - 10/21/07 09:09 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: Knothead]
big 8's in Weakley county
16 Point

Loc: south fulton

looks good knothead
http://www.disabledsportsmenusa.proboards.com/index.cgi

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bmobrady3, bmo3, chrislee, Patriot123, DT33
13565 Registered Users
Who's Online
93 registered (stylishblueticks, nabowhunter, Huntaholic, Jingaling, wetdogsmell, Methane, 2 invisible) and 167 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13565 Members
43 Forums
99550 Topics
1171169 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.