Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#434635 - 10/07/07 01:37 PM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: BSK]
Bob S
4 Point

Loc: Saginaw, Michigan

Originally Posted By: BSK
We BETTER learn to control the deer herds instead of worry about antlers so much. That's the biological idea we hang our hats on. We BETTER think long and hard about all of our actions, their future ramifications, and the image they present. How are we going to explain to society if we KNOWINGLY do potentially harmful things all for the sake of bigger bucks to shoot?
Another great quote that I may have to post over on the qdma.com forum for the supplemental feeder guys.

QDMA Life Member, Sponsor, REACH Donor, Convention Volunteer.

Quality Deer Management in the Haymarsh Swamp, near Moorestown, MI.

#434723 - 10/07/07 03:53 PM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: Bob S]
Aviator
6 Point

Loc: Titusville, FL / Hampton, GA

BSK,

If one were to have supplemental feeding on their land during the winter or summer for that matter, what would be the best alternative to corn? There are so many manufactured products on the market now just for supplemental feeding. I have seen one product in particular called Golden Deer Nuggets. Just for the record, I do not supplemental feed, but I do know guys that do, including some family members.I have taken alot of pride in planting food plots, oaks and persimmons to better the health of the herd. My family members are pretty much set in their ways and view, but if there is something better that I can pass along to them to use it would be great.

#434880 - 10/07/07 06:20 PM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: Aviator]
deerchaser007
10 Point

Loc: Bradyville, TN USA

The record rack golden deer nuggets are the best for summer plus can be mixed with protein pellets if its kept dry. Its even better to mix the nuggets with record rack deer corn in the fall and winter months.

#435048 - 10/07/07 07:56 PM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: deerchaser007]
deerchaser007
10 Point

Stalker,... trying to supplemental feed on 120 acres is worthless. This is the kicker to supplemental feeding that most don't understand ,.. you need alot of feed stations spread across alot of acres to produce any kind of result. This is how some areas will have successful feeding programs and others will not. It also takes alot of effort and ALOT of money to have a successful feeding program. So much,... that its only possible for big clubs ,ranches,. or a real rich property owner to see beneficial results in the herd that is being hunted. 90 percent of the folks who buy feeders and buy feed for deer are only worried about the atrraction part of it,.. not the nutrition part of it. BUT,.. as allready pointed out ,. most are harming themselves and their hunting instead of helping.

On 120 acres you would see much more benefit if you balaced the herd ratio, left the little bucks alone, created 2 to 5 percent of the property in food plots,.. and opened up some 1/2 acre to 1 acre opening in the woods by cutting trees, and create around 2 5 acre sancuaries around the cuts. Then,.. talk with your neighbors about a QDM plan for all of you to establish and implement on your properties. On really small properties such as 120 acres,.. the neighbors will make or break a plan.

You don't need a expensive feed program that won't work anyway.

#435114 - 10/07/07 08:14 PM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: deerchaser007]
deerchaser007
10 Point

And 1 more thing for you and anyone else thinking about supplemental feeding outside the deer seasons. A spring/summer supplemental feeding program to draw deer to your property could cause negative effects for your hunting. Once the feed(food source) is removed the deer will leave the property in search of other food sources that is not offered to them on your property any longer. Thus,.. causing your deer sitings to drastically lower. Its the same principle as food plots only being offered in a summer annual or perenial plots that go dormant in the winter.

A successful feed program has to be in place year round. And thats not legally possible in TN for ethical hunters. BUT,.. a late winter feed program ,along with food plots and habitat improvements can be very successful in TN.

#435639 - 10/08/07 06:17 AM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: Aviator]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Aviator
BSK,

If one were to have supplemental feeding on their land during the winter or summer for that matter, what would be the best alternative to corn? There are so many manufactured products on the market now just for supplemental feeding. I have seen one product in particular called Golden Deer Nuggets. Just for the record, I do not supplemental feed, but I do know guys that do, including some family members.I have taken alot of pride in planting food plots, oaks and persimmons to better the health of the herd. My family members are pretty much set in their ways and view, but if there is something better that I can pass along to them to use it would be great.

If I was helping someone with a supplemental feeding program, I would use one of the high-quality, pelletized protein feeds. Basically, one of the high-end "Deer Chow" products from a well-established manufacturer.

Now some have had great success feeding pure soybeans, but they admit they often have to mix considerable amounts of corn with the soybeans to get the deer on the feed, at least early in the process. That in itself worries me a little.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#435984 - 10/08/07 10:37 AM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: BSK]
TAS
6 Point

Loc: Hickman County

Originally Posted By: BigGameGuy
Excellent discussion guys!

It's an excellent discussion because Stalker is one of the "good guys." He can debate and discuss a controversial and often emotional topic in a well-thought out and level-headed manner. I wish more of the debates on TNdeer were like this. My hat's off to you Stalker.

Ditto,

Some other threads in other forums have gotten so bad that I considered hanging it up.

#437195 - 10/08/07 09:19 PM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: BSK]
Stalker
8 Point

Loc: Greene / Cocke County

Originally Posted By: BigGameGuy
Excellent discussion guys!

It's an excellent discussion because Stalker is one of the "good guys." He can debate and discuss a controversial and often emotional topic in a well-thought out and level-headed manner. I wish more of the debates on TNdeer were like this. My hat's off to you Stalker.

Thank you for the compliment...
I am learning alot from this and am very pleased with how everyone has handled this discussion...I'm glad it has not gotten over heated...

Hey, and thanks for all the info...I know that you are right about all this but it is hard to swallow taking the human nature out of it and allowing mother nature to do its own thing. I am not a serious big buck hunter, I am a deer hunter but I let fawns and as many little bucks walk as I can. I will shoot as many does as TWRA would let me (Unit B, 3 at most and that is if I can get 2 during bow season) and I do try to wait out a bigger buck, but I would shoot a spike just as quick if I do not have meat in the freezer...

I am just trying to learn as much as I can about what role I can play in helping Unit B (and my little 120 acres)...I know it will only be so much but at one point it was nothing and now atleast we have deer (More than TWRA knows about in my opinion). I have done alot of reading and research and have formed some of my own opinions. But I think the biggest hold back in the Whitetail deer herd in Tennessee is research. Not just people talking but I mean real biological, and herd density research. I know some areas of East Tennesse might have 1 deer per square mile and others (like my little piece of the pie) have 35 to 50 deer per square mile. Maybe more of our sportsmans license dollars needs to go straight to TWRA for more research. I think that the current regulation are good for some areas and harmful to others. I know I need to kill more does but I am restricted by the regs...

As far as the supplimental feeding goes I think that you have me convinced...I'm still soaking it all in. But I know I could probably do more mowing and timber falling that would help out. I do like planting food plots and I am making plans for several more next year...But whats a guy supose to do when hard times are coming for the deer this winter and I can not kill very many because of the regulations? I am limited to 3 does and honestly I do not think that I will get them. I will get one durring ML and Hopefully 1 before Bow is over but I do not think I will get the second bow doe kill, just because of time and the way days off from work and family stuff is falling into play. So, for me to sit back and watch them get sick and die off does not feel exactly right. But if I fatten them up a little between seasons...I feel better. Why is it that what feels right is actually so wrong?

I wish that I could take 2 does durring ML and 1 durring Gun...That way I would probably get atleast 3 and on years like this year I could go for 5 plus my 2 bucks (thats alot of meat but I do not think I would have a problem getting it to people in need).

I think the regulations should be by county and not units A,B,L...

#437988 - 10/09/07 11:17 AM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: Stalker]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Great post Stalker.

In planning for the future, plan on creating as much "patchy" thick cover you can provide. This will help hold and attract older bucks. Many was exist to create patchy cover, such as no longer mowing maintaining sections of pasture (letting it grow up into a jungle that you "restart" by bush-hog every 4-5 years). An even better form of ocver can be created by cutting small patches of mature timber. This alloww the regrowth procees to restart from scartch, and that early regrowth contains a lot of deer food the first couple of years followed by good escape cover for the following decade.

You also want to create as much natural forages--summer weeds, vining plants like honeysuckle and greenbrier, and young saplings--to "carry" (feed) the current deer density without the use of food plots, acorns and artificial feeding. Food plots fail in drought year, acorn crops fail, and there is no guarantee you will always be able to feed. So manage the habitat to produce enough natural food sources to feed the herd. These easiest way to produce these foods is simply ensure sunlight hits the ground in summer. This means either opening an existing forest canopy or allowing any sunlit area to grow up into a jungle of "early successional" plants.

If you have to feed to feel better about the deer in this exceptionally tough year, ONLY feed THIS YEAR during the winter months post-hunt (January through early March) with covered corn trough-feeders (covered so the corn doesn't get rained on, and a trough so the corn doesn't lay on the ground). Make sure you buy "certified aflatoxin-free" corn.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#440689 - 10/10/07 05:48 PM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: BSK]
Stalker
8 Point

Loc: Greene / Cocke County

Thanks, BSK...Great information and I have actually learned a ton.

Thanks, to everyone else...for keeping this post from getting all fired up and being genuine and honest in your opinions.

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
81 registered (TNRazorback, diamond hunter, Hardwoodmaterials, donkey5150, duckriver, RAFI, 13 invisible) and 121 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93211 Topics
1089541 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.11 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.