Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#432672 - 10/05/07 08:20 PM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: BSK]
Stalker
8 Point

Loc: Greene / Cocke County

I agree with you 99.999999%

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree and you being the expert on the topic I am going to have to say "touche'"...

The only argument I have is that we are humans and we are apart of nature and we are responsible for taking care of mother earth not letting her work alone...and I understand all you said and it makes sense but I disagree with the antler remark...I told you I am not a antler hunter but you can not deny that good looking antlers are sugestive to a healthy buck. And I for one do not just want the Whitetail to live but I want them to do well. If the population goes over the carrying capacity then we should kill more does. Even if that means doing more research in every county and not just 3 units.

Thank you for your patriotism to the deer of TN...

#433161 - 10/06/07 05:22 AM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: Stalker]
brier rabbit
4 Point

Loc: sumner tn

BKS

did not men to yell at you. but any way, the buck in the picture might he have had ehd and lived throught it.

#433170 - 10/06/07 06:09 AM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: brier rabbit]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: brier rabbit
BKS

did not men to yell at you. but any way, the buck in the picture might he have had ehd and lived throught it.

I suspect that is the case. I lost at least 5 deer to EHD.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#433178 - 10/06/07 06:36 AM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

Stalker,

I absolutely agree that I want as healthy of a deer herd as possible. That's why I try to hold my local deer population well below capacity through doe harvests and manipulate the habitat to produce more natural food sources. I also plant food plots, but if I couldn't do that, the deer would still be in better shape due to my other actions than they would have been without my actions.

I also agree we ALWAYS need more research. We know only a small percentage of what their is to know about deer. There are still so many things about deer we don't understand, and much of what we do know about deer we've learned in only the last 10-15 years (such as their complex social structure). But the recent use of thermal imagers on a county by county basis in TN is a great start. I just wish we had the research dollars to pour into deer research like PA is getting. They are doing some truly cool studies up there.

However, I question our current ability to intervene in a useful way at this point. We sure have a long history of disastrous "mistakes" when it comes to managing the resources. In fact, our history is so bad, until we know more about how Nature works, I prefer to see us use a "limit our impact" philosophy instead of an "intervention for improvement" one.

As for the "screwy" antlers question, we still know little about the driving forces of antler growth and heritability. We really don't know how the genetics of antlers work (what heritable traits are and are not passed from parent to offspring). In addition, many antler growth parameters are only little understood, and things that are observed about antlers may not be caused by what we think. For instance, a common pattern I see with antler development on young bucks is that the higher the buck age structure (the higher the percentage of the male population that is in the older age-classes), the stranger the racks of young bucks get. For some reason, the farther down the social ladder a buck is, the more "strange" his antler development is. Yet as he gets older (and rises on the social ladder) his rack naturally straightens out. Although this is a normal process, we could be fooled into thinking these screwy racked young bucks are deficient in something, yet what we are observing is simply a natural part of the male subordination process. In addition, injury to a buck's body or antler pedical can cause all sorts of deformations in his antlers, even if he is a very healthy animal otherwise. Sometimes these deformations go away over time, but sometimes they don't, and we have no idea why this is. The most common form of this injury problem is displayed in bucks with only a spike antler on one side. Assuming a buck like that has a "nutrition problem" would not be accurate. Trying to address the issue from an "improvement" stand-point could be harmful, as the real cause of the deformation is not a true problem.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#433200 - 10/06/07 07:20 AM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: BSK]
Stalker
8 Point

Loc: Greene / Cocke County

I understand about the injuries and the age structure...but I did not know that the weird antler thing could be because of having a high age structure of bucks...

#433280 - 10/06/07 08:59 AM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: Stalker]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Stalker
I understand about the injuries and the age structure...but I did not know that the weird antler thing could be because of having a high age structure of bucks...

"Subordination affecting antler development" has not been discussed or studied much in the scientific community. I've heard it mentioned for time to time anecdotally, but no one has studied it in detail yet.

#433531 - 10/06/07 12:55 PM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: BSK]
BigGameGuy
TWRA Biologist
12 Point

Loc: Nashville

Excellent discussion guys!

#433657 - 10/06/07 03:45 PM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: BSK]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK
In fact, I question if hunters are actually controlling herd growth with the herds current health and reproductive success. I see no indication that we are.

You're scaring me a little here. One of the strongest arguments we hunters have for hunting is controlling the deer population. If those on the fence about hunting believed that hunters did nothing to control the deer population, I suspect deer hunting would be in trouble.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#433876 - 10/06/07 07:14 PM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: BigGameGuy]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: BigGameGuy
Excellent discussion guys!

It's an excellent discussion because Stalker is one of the "good guys." He can debate and discuss a controversial and often emotional topic in a well-thought out and level-headed manner. I wish more of the debates on TNdeer were like this. My hat's off to you Stalker.

#433911 - 10/06/07 07:25 PM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: gil1]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: gil1
 Originally Posted By: BSK
In fact, I question if hunters are actually controlling herd growth with the herds current health and reproductive success. I see no indication that we are.

You're scaring me a little here. One of the strongest arguments we hunters have for hunting is controlling the deer population. If those on the fence about hunting believed that hunters did nothing to control the deer population, I suspect deer hunting would be in trouble.

And that's why I've been pushing doe harvests so hard for so many years. I see few productive habitats around the Southeast where deer densities are truly being controlled by hunters. In addition, that's why I hammer away on philisophical ideas/questions surrounding hunting. Our image is critical. The non-hunters (not the anti-hunters, but the non-hunters) will decide our fate. With one vote they can end hunting forever, and they currently outnumber us in the general public by around 10-1. We BETTER learn to control the deer herds instead of worry about antlers so much. That's the biological idea we hang our hats on. We BETTER think long and hard about all of our actions, their future ramifications, and the image they present. How are we going to explain to society if we KNOWINGLY do potentially harmful things all for the sake of bigger bucks to shoot?

As I've said many times, I have no ethical problems with baiting. If it were legalized it TN, it would be no skin off my nose. My neighbors could bait their little heart's out and I wouldn't care. But I promise you the non-hunting public has a VERY negative impression of baiting. We "sell" hunting to the non-hunting public as a necessary biological service and as a great way to teach traditions and values to the next generation. We go on and on about our "woodsmanship skills" and how teaching those to our children makes them better adult citizens in the community. But if we send the message to the non-hunting public that all we're really doing is pouring out a pile of corn and then waiting for an animal to come eat it, I think "teaching woodsmanship skills" will be a tough sell. What are we really teaching? "Here son, let me show you how to pour out a bag of corn." Is that it? Society will be very dubious of what we're teaching if that's as far as it goes.

OK, off my soapbox now... ;\)

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
15 registered (gobblegrunt, Vermin93, cdtac1, deerhunter10, Droopy, Tall, 2 invisible) and 70 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95692 Topics
1120188 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.076 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.