Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#431185 - 10/04/07 09:40 PM Suplimental Feeding
Stalker
8 Point

Loc: Greene / Cocke County

Let me start by saying that I'm not intending on starting a "Baiting" debate...my question has nothing to do with hunting over bait...NOT A BAITING DEBATE...

Also, I am not claiming to be an expert on anything, quite the contrary...I'm still learning and have been able to work private land (120 acres) only for 2 years...I read alot (ALOT) about the Whitetail deer (books, magazines, internet). I disguss it alot with people I know and with some pro hunters. I try to form my own opinions and not go with what one individual says is best because I can find two reputable wildlife managers, pro hunters or authors who do well but use different philosophies on any given topic...

I do not bait...I do have food plots and feed and put out minerals from close of huting season until 3 weeks from bow opener (to ensure that I stay inside the law), after bow season starts I only have nature and the food plots...

My question: Wildlife feeding as been deemed as being a means of spreading disease. Tennessee Conservation and (BSK) are against feeding because of scientifical studies. If there are problems with feeding then why do other states (like Texas) allow feeding all year even durring hunting season? I have seen dramatic results in the deer I have on trail cam pics since I have started. They are fatter and appear to be healthier. The bucks seem to all have even racks (I have no pics this year of bucks with 3 on 1 side and 2 on the other etc...)

Not trying to offend anyone, like I said I am still learning...I have searched this in our forums and have not found the answer to why other states allow feeding all year when there is so much talk about it being unhealthy for wildlife...

Sorry so long but I do not want a debate on baiting and I am not trying to offend anyone...from my own opinions I have found a balance between "let nature provide everything, feeding does more harm than good, your lazy if you bait or have food plots and poor corn out and shoot everything that moves"

WHEWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

#431219 - 10/04/07 09:59 PM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: Stalker]
Chris Tripp
10 Point

Loc: Brush Creek, TN

Quote:
My question: Wildlife feeding as been deemed as being a means of spreading disease. Tennessee Conservation and (BSK) are against feeding because of scientifical studies. If there are problems with feeding then why do other states (like Texas) allow feeding all year even durring hunting season? I have seen dramatic results in the deer I have on trail cam pics since I have started. They are fatter and appear to be healthier. The bucks seem to all have even racks (I have no pics this year of bucks with 3 on 1 side and 2 on the other etc...)

Texas does not have the humid air that we do... Feeding deer does one thing beyond spreading of disease... allows the herd to surpass the land's carrying capacity which is not only detrimental to the herd, it is aslo destructive to the habitat. If you want to help the herd and promote a quality habitat to hunt, save the money you buy feed with, lime and fertilize native browse, and work on enhancing habitat, never will I or never have I relied on food plots or supplemental feeding to support the herd. One of the cornerstones of QDM is habitat enhancement... If your herd or habitat is so poor that it has to rely on you to feed it to carry them through and keep them looking healthy, both are nearly helpless.

#431228 - 10/04/07 10:03 PM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: Stalker]
brier rabbit
4 Point

Loc: sumner tn

i share your same point of view. yes some people say that feeding deer can spread disease, maybe? old wet bait piles could cause this. i have been feeding livestock for years would never feed old moldy feed, so no sick animals. yes some people are againts any form of supplimenting deer food including food plots.i have food plots i mostly grow beans and oats, i have also planted other shrubs and trees to improve the habitat. i also feed dureing the late winter spring and summer.i keep a log book of the deer i kill ,weight antlers and age o and also how much fat. since i have been as they are calling it farming for wildlife, i have seen a big up swing in antler size body weight
and fat on the deer. except for this year, the late freeze and drought have had a big afect on the deer. i know that the human population is growing and there is less room for wild life. my goal is to make my property as favorable to wildlife as posible.as far as some of the people who do not like feeding or growing food plots,some time i think that they are just jelouse maybe they do not have a place that they can do the things that i do. or maybe they are just lazy. tilling fertilizing liming planting weed controll and planting of trees and shrubs take alot of hard work but i enjoy it very much.

#431269 - 10/04/07 10:12 PM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: brier rabbit]
Chris Tripp
10 Point

I am not saying I am against foodplots, I do plant and use them. I am against supplemental feeds placed for wildlife... you never want your local wildlife to become dependant on any unnatural food source and not have a habitat that can support them.
#431281 - 10/04/07 10:15 PM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: brier rabbit]
Chris Tripp
10 Point

Quote:
tilling fertilizing liming planting weed controll and planting of trees and shrubs take alot of hard work but i enjoy it very much

I am with you there, but rather than try to control weeds, I enhance them, most weeds are high in proteins and are part of a whitetail's prefered food source (browse)... Thats right, deer are browsers, not grazers or feeders......

#431291 - 10/04/07 10:20 PM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: Chris Tripp]
brier rabbit
4 Point

yes i know deer browse and my horses graze. some weed i do not mind but burrs and hitch hikers i hate. as far as the natural carring capacity, aint that why we hunt...
#431292 - 10/04/07 10:20 PM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: Chris Tripp]
Chris Tripp
10 Point

I can also guaruntee that neither am I lazy or jealous as I own and manage several hundred acres.
#431294 - 10/04/07 10:22 PM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: brier rabbit]
brier rabbit
4 Point

oh and by the way this year i think texas is humid and we are dry,
#431299 - 10/04/07 10:23 PM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: brier rabbit]
Chris Tripp
10 Point

Originally Posted By: brier rabbit
yes i know deer browse and my horses graze. some weed i do not mind but burrs and hitch hikers i hate. as far as the natural carring capacity, aint that why we hunt...

Us simply hunting can't do nature's work. If your natural habitat can't support what lives in it, the wildlife and habitat is much better off allowing nature to balance things.

#431304 - 10/04/07 10:26 PM Re: Suplimental Feeding [Re: Chris Tripp]
Chris Tripp
10 Point

Actually Beggars lice ( Desmodium) is a high protein weed and a major part of a whitetail's diet.
Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
114 registered (jumpmaster21, wlf89, Master Chief, bradshaw34, Dirt nap, rolltide22, 13 invisible) and 164 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91620 Topics
1070869 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.113 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.