Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#418685 - 09/27/07 07:28 AM Ladder Box Stand
TCounty Hunter
4 Point

Loc: Tipton County

Wondering if anyone has any plans or pics of a ladder stand converted box stand. Planning to build one. Not looking for a huge shooting house on 4x4's, just a one man ladder stand with plywood sides and roof with a large enough base to hold a chair. Hoping to build something cheap and easy, but covered for those rainy days

My main concern is how to support the weight of the stand itself, and the 200 pounds (pure muscle of course) i will add to it and keep it from sinking, sliding down the tree, etc... Could I just build a standard ladder stand with a 3/4" platform large enough, and then run some 2x4 braces from the ladder up to the back of the base/floor? Or should I build it, and then when done, add some 2/4 legs from the base/floor down to the groud for rear stand support?

Edited by TCounty Hunter (09/27/07 07:49 AM)

#420104 - 09/27/07 09:52 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: TCounty Hunter]
HopALong
4 Point

Loc: West Fayette Co.

Will this be a wooden stand or are you converting a metal stand?

#420578 - 09/28/07 08:51 AM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: HopALong]
TCounty Hunter
4 Point

fot this one i am planning to build a new one, all wooden. i do have a couple I could convert, but just plan for this to be a wooden one.
#420645 - 09/28/07 09:31 AM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: TCounty Hunter]
Excal Thumper
Spike

Loc: Mont. County TN

I have thought about doing the same thing to some of our wooden ladder stands. I just bow hunt and gun hunt out of the same stands. It is hard to draw your bow if you have it enclosed. If you just want to protect from the rain, try one of those umbrella things that attaches to the tree. I have thought about using 2x2's and drywall screws to fasten it all together out in the woods using a cordless drill. Just use 4 2x2's vertically and four as a band across the top. Then use a piece of 1/4" plywood for the roof. Don't forget to slope it an 1" or so to allow the rain to run off. I thought about one time trying to acquire old election signs to use as a roof. The kind that are made from corrugated plastic board. It looks like cardboard but it is plastic. I tried to buy some one time but it is very expensive. It is chaeper to buy plywood. Some of the election signs are 4'x8'. If you could find a candidate that lost and doesn't plan on running again for office, you might be able to get some for free. You will just have to use some camo paint to cover up the design.

Hope this helps.

#420662 - 09/28/07 09:41 AM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: Excal Thumper]
TCounty Hunter
4 Point

never thought of that, interesting and good idea on the election signs.

I have seen those umbrellas, they are pretty nice. they only upset me because i didnt think of it myself.

reminds me of when my dad was building/welding his own folding 4 wheeler ramps many many years ago before you could buy one, that replaced the tailgate of his truck. of course now you can buy any type of ramp, and you often wonder why didnt you make these pubulically and be the rich one???

#421794 - 09/28/07 11:18 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: TCounty Hunter]
JDRET
4 Point

Loc: Olive Branch, MS USA

The corrugated plastic you mentioned is call Coroplast and you'll probably want it in 4 mil thickness. There are a couple of box blind manufacturers that use it. Nothing beats "free" but if you can't find an old sign, try dropping in on a sign shop. That stuff usually goes for around $10-$12 per 4X8 sheet and it sounds like a half sheet is all you would need. Hope this helps.

I'm working on some plans for either a round or octagon shooting house that I plan to use coroplast to wall. Just fine tuning the dimensions to cut down on waste on the plastic. My daughters a CAD major in college and is going to draw it up for me so I'll have all the angles right as it will have modular walls to ease getting it up on the platform and assembly. Probably won't see a field this year, but I'll post pics when it does.

Edited by JDRET (09/29/07 12:09 AM)

#423364 - 09/30/07 03:34 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: JDRET]
HOOK
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford County, TN

I don't know what your idea of expensive is, but I built both of these at a cost of about $300 each.

#424996 - 10/01/07 01:20 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: HOOK]
TCounty Hunter
4 Point

looks good hook. did you anchor yours down, or is it just sitting there. What did you use for the walls, doesnt look like plywood?

JDRet, will love to see those plans. I used to know the owners of a sign shop, no such luck anymore. Definitely some good tips to run with

#427670 - 10/02/07 09:57 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: TCounty Hunter]
JDRET
4 Point

Loc: Olive Branch, MS USA

Hook, when you see comparable manufactured setups running anywhere from $800-$1000..or more, I'd call yours a realistically priced, more that suitable, substitue. Probably more sturdy to boot.

#428321 - 10/03/07 10:49 AM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: JDRET]
RS
8 Point

Loc: Smithville, TN

TCounty Hunter,

Below is a pic of a ladder box stand that I built about 8 years ago. I will never build another one like it and wouldn't recommend you building one. As of now, the stand is still safe to hunt out of, but I've had to work on the braces several times because the tree tends to sway in the wind and break them. Also, I have to use an extension ladder to loosen the chain around the tree after each deer season (and re-tighten it before each season) to allow for tree growth.

This is the only type of of box stands that I build now. The cedar poles were cut on the farm and the lumber was relatively cheap. The deck boards on the first stand came from a deck that I tore down and the plywood on the second stand was scrap left over from other projects.

Edited by RS (10/03/07 10:50 AM)

#431705 - 10/05/07 09:39 AM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: RS]
TCounty Hunter
4 Point

Quote:
from RS: TCounty Hunter,

Below is a pic of a ladder box stand that I built about 8 years ago. I will never build another one like it and wouldn't recommend you building one.

Man, that doesnt sound good. I just started on mine last night, and its basically going to be very similar to what you posted not to do \:\)

Its being built using treated 2x4x12 for the legs, treated 2/4 steps, and treated 2x3's for the walls/roof. Friend of mine tore out a deck for someone, and I got about 20 nice treated 2x6's from it, which we are ripping into 2x3's for the walls/roof. Here is a pic of what the "box" will look like. Except on mine, my 2x3's will be 6' tall for the roof design.

These pics below are from the site mentione below, these arent mine. I will take pics of mine this weekend.

I used 6'long treated 2/4's carriage bolted for the braces from the floor support down to the ladder.

The floor frame is being built to sit on top of the ladder stand, like the pic below. It has a built in V for the tree, so it wont be sitting square on the tree like your pic is, so that should help I hope. My floor area will be 4'x4'

The floor is also recessed in the front for easy access into the stand off the ladder.

Then I am using 3/4" plywood for the floor, 1/2" for the sides and roof.

I am building it into several sections so that I can haul out and assemble easily on site.

I got the idea from this website

http://tristan.homelinux.net/hunting/treestands.htm

we are building almost exact to these pics, just making minor modifications as I see necessary and what he said he would have done different, and adding the roof, cause his dont have a roof.

I really think this will work out ok. Will know by the weekend. The end result will look like this, except it will have a door on the front, and will have a slanted roof like yours does.

Edited by TCounty Hunter (10/05/07 09:45 AM)

#434262 - 10/06/07 11:16 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: RS]
cweand
10 Point

Loc: Memphis, TN, USA

Well come to Memphis, we just had the Mayoral and City council vote and there are political signs all over the place with lumber and coreplast sticking up everywhere. Last I heard they were illegal(i.e. need a permit to install) to stick up and every time there is an election you see them laying all over the place after it is over because people don't want to pick them up.
#437631 - 10/09/07 08:09 AM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: cweand]
TCounty Hunter
4 Point

yeah i was thinking that too cweand. i work in memphis, and there are 100's off them around.

psycho, my plan for the stand is to use 3/8" eye bolts and a turn buckle on the V of the stand and then i will see how it goes from there. I may place the stand between 2 trees close together as well, to provide more options of securing it.

I got mine built this weekend, painted and hauled to the woods, but ran out of time to get it put up. It looks pretty darn good though, slight alterations from above pics. I have pics of the whole process, i will try to get posted tonight.

#438156 - 10/09/07 01:00 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: TCounty Hunter]
JohnnyDollar
8 Point

Loc: tipton co. tn

you could use conduit to build the frame and then use flex-straps(zip ties) to attach the pre-drilled plastic/wood to the conduit after you stand the stand against the tree. This will save on the weight and you can modify the covering as needed.

#438455 - 10/09/07 03:43 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: JohnnyDollar]
Still-n-Quiet
10 Point

Loc: San Antonio, TX

I love the measuring tape strewn all over the place! ;\)

Searching for the elusive "Moderate" liberal and "Moderate" Muslim. Maybe they are hiding together...

Μολων λαβε

#438524 - 10/09/07 04:08 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: Still-n-Quiet]
TCounty Hunter
4 Point

never noticed the tape there, thats pretty funny. looks like one my daughter got holt of
#447445 - 10/14/07 03:00 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: ]
Knothead
12 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: psycho
 Originally Posted By: TCounty Hunter

psycho, my plan for the stand is to use 3/8" eye bolts and a turn buckle on the V of the stand and then i will see how it goes from there. I may place the stand between 2 trees close together as well, to provide more options of securing it.

The reason I ask is because there is alot of pressure/weight on the angle braces to the ladder...

I agree with Psycho..........especially considering the fact that the legs are only 2X4's. Treated or not, they're still only 1 3/4" X 3 1/2" and have to hold a lot of weight! I hope you use a harness! \:o

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)“The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.”

#453532 - 10/17/07 01:11 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: Knothead]
TCounty Hunter
4 Point

well, i understand i guess, but i see it a little different also. i would agree 100% if all of that weight were going to be applied to the legs and braces, but that wont be the case. the stand will be turnbuckled to the tree nice and tight just as a normal ladder stand would, and that will take on all of the rear weight. in the past we have taken a normal wooden ladder stand and added walls and a roof to it and had no problems. This is a little fancier and larger, but we think it will work just fine.

if its questionable at all, we will add more support to it, just have to see how it goes. the guy that helped me build it is a carpenter, so we will make it safe one way or another. if not, its been a pleasure knowing all of you \:\)

#460114 - 10/21/07 09:01 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: TCounty Hunter]
Knothead
12 Point

Here's mine I just built............not a ladder box stand, but a box stand, nonetheless.

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)“The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.”

#460130 - 10/21/07 09:09 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: Knothead]
big 8's in Weakley county
16 Point

Loc: south fulton

content Online
looks good knothead
http://www.disabledsportsmenusa.proboards.com/index.cgi

#462432 - 10/23/07 07:49 AM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: big 8's in Weakley county]
TCounty Hunter
4 Point

looks good. i got mine up this weekend, man its going to be nice. i forgot my cam, will get pics next time. turnbuckled to the tree in two places, and added a 2x4 brace from the ladder over to a tree beside the stand, and its as tight as you can get it.

as suspected, majority of the weight is on the tree and chain, so there is no worry of it supporting me. here are some pics of it during the building process.

I went to wally world and had them match the color of the krylon camo green paint, and bought a gallon of it. i used that as a base coat for the entire stand, and then used spray cans for the other colors. as you can tell, i experimented with the painting, but it looks fine in the woods. I also used water seal on all my plywood before painting, hopefully it will help the life of it.

Edited by TCounty Hunter (10/23/07 07:51 AM)

#462639 - 10/23/07 10:00 AM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: TCounty Hunter]
Knothead
12 Point

Sweet!! Now, you had just better hope the anchor don't see that paint on the driveway! \:o ;\)

#462829 - 10/23/07 11:51 AM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: Knothead]
TCounty Hunter
4 Point

you werent supposed to see that :). She already did, and aint happy either. she told me to put it in the grass, i said nah, i wont get any on the concrete. well, you know how that goes.

Did you put anything down in your floor to keep it quiet, such as outdoor carpet, or door mats, anything? I am trying to decide what would be best.

Originally Posted By: Knothead
Sweet!! Now, you had just better hope the anchor don't see that paint on the driveway! \:o ;\)

Edited by TCounty Hunter (10/23/07 11:53 AM)

#463105 - 10/23/07 03:14 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: TCounty Hunter]
Knothead
12 Point

Originally Posted By: TCounty Hunter
........Did you put anything down in your floor to keep it quiet, such as outdoor carpet, or door mats, anything? I am trying to decide what would be best.

Yeah, I just cut some old carpet pieces into 4 foot squares and stapled to the floor and the walls. Sort of serves as a sound barrier to dull any careless bumping against the wall, dropping things on, or moving your feet on the floor, etc. \:\/

#463507 - 10/23/07 07:09 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: Knothead]
16 Point

content Online
get you a old bed mat out of a truck it will work for the floor

#464092 - 10/23/07 10:54 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: RS]
turftech28
4 Point

Loc: Columbia

wish i had a place for one of those i really like them

#464093 - 10/23/07 10:54 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: RS]
turftech28
4 Point

Loc: Columbia

wish i had a place for one of those i really like them

#469701 - 10/27/07 07:40 AM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: TCounty Hunter]
HOOK
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford County, TN

[quote=TCounty Hunter]looks good hook. did you anchor yours down, or is it just sitting there. What did you use for the walls, doesnt look like plywood?

Don't know what happend to my pics, but anyway to answer your question...the platform is cemented into the ground and yes it's pressure treated plywood with a really good paint job.

#474183 - 10/30/07 10:28 AM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: HOOK]
TCounty Hunter
4 Point

Ok, here is the completed deal, in the tree, ready for Muzzle saturday.

Set and ready

Here is a brace I put on there to eliminate any shifting, this way i didnt have to use any nails or screws in trees. Its solid and tight, needs some paint

Turnbuckled to the tree at the base, and ratchet strapped at the roof level.

Its dark, but here is the door i put on it, swings open

The final product

#474949 - 10/30/07 08:03 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: TCounty Hunter]
16 Point

content Online
looks good

#475912 - 10/31/07 12:46 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: big 8's in Weakley county]
Knothead
12 Point

LOOKS GREAT! GOOD LUCK SATURDAY MORNING!

#478196 - 11/02/07 10:19 AM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: RS]
redbone
4 Point

Wow RS that is really nice work. Great idea having it hold its own instead of relying on a tree for support.

#529996 - 12/16/07 04:26 AM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: redbone]
OldHunter
6 Point

Loc: west tennessee

My son and I built this one last summer

#530018 - 12/16/07 06:47 AM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: OldHunter]
Allen Sullivan
12 Point

Loc: Ridgely, TN

We need something like this as well on our lease!
#530066 - 12/16/07 08:44 AM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: Allen Sullivan]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

great work guys.
#531255 - 12/17/07 01:15 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: ]
mossyhorns300
10 Point

Loc: memphis, tn & savannah, tn

happy Online
We have 6 of these style shooting houses on our 1500 acre place up in Lake Co. One 4x4, five 6x4, and one 6x8. This one is 6x4.

Pretty women make us buy beer...........Ugly women make us drink beer!

#535244 - 12/20/07 03:22 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: mossyhorns300]
Spike
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Oakland, TN. USA

Killed anything out of it yet?

#1347798 - 05/30/09 05:18 AM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: RS]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

Get r dun.

#2356769 - 03/31/11 10:51 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: RS]
basset
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

how do you secure the floor to the cedar posts?
#2404957 - 05/29/11 02:36 PM Re: Ladder Box Stand [Re: RS]
DaltonsDad
8 Point

Loc: Anderson County

nice I like the looks of that!

U.S. Army Retired!!

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
142 registered (cbarron19, LA man, backwoods7, jakeway, Ebby, TnTurk, 18 invisible) and 150 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89276 Topics
1044199 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.24 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.