Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#315307 - 07/26/07 10:31 PM Part II
Teufelhunden
14 Point

Loc: Oak Ridge

He slams the door shut and off we go. It was dark. Very dark. I disobey my first order and take a look around.

“Hmm…palm trees…this place can’t be that bad” I think to myself.

Someone starts to laugh. I have no clue why but they just did. We drove around the Island for about 15 minutes. They do this to disorient you and to make the island seem bigger than it actually is.

After what seems like an eternity the van comes to a stop. Silence. Dead silence. You can hear every heart in that van racing. Yelling comes from outside the van followed by a variety of “Aye Sir’s.”

“Oh chit, he’s coming.”

The van door opens. “Eyes on me. When I tell you to you’re going to get off my van and get on the yellow footprints behind everyone else. Understand?”

We mutter a very soft “Yes sir.”

“Say what?”

“YES SIR.”

“Get off my van right now. Now now now now let’s go.”

We fall out of the van clumsily and sprint to the formation. As I’m standing there on the yellow footprints the voice in my head won’t shut up. “So this is what these footprints are all about?” Out of the corner of my eye I watch events unfold. I notice the floodlights running on generators. I see drill instructors, male and female, circling this gaggle [censored] of kids on yellow paint like a pack of hyenas, just waiting for someone to run back into the van or mess up. I notice a myriad of guys that brought duffel bags and one genius even lugged along a suitcase. I guess his recruiter told him he was going to grandma’s for the summer.

We are led through two huge metal doors emblazoned with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. We form two lines and pass all our paperwork up to the front. We are then sent down a hall to stand on a box. It is a clear box with a light in it and a mirror on the bottom. The Marine Corps is idiot proof in its ways but people still find ways to mess things up. A guy in front of me steps on to the glass lid with his shoes still attached to his feet…not for long though. They are checking for flat feet and high arches. I have a high arch and have an 8 written on my hand by a burly, black drill instructor. I thought life was over. We then form at least two dozen lines, each behind a telephone on a wall.

* The entire receiving process is rather bland; therefore, it will be simple and brief.
I get to the phone, dial my house and hope no one answers. It’s around 1:30 am and if anyone answers it will be my dad…not good. Alas, my mom answers and I spurt out what we have to read and hang up.

After the phone call we sit in a room with desks, almost like a class room but far from it. There are some recruits in there that have already had their haircut. Most have not. Some guys have the audacity to talk and carry on while we are standing by. Most sit there and wonder what is next. In walk two drill instructors and they begin to read off a list of contraband items that are not allowed during recruit training: Stamps, cigarettes, lighters, cell phones, watches, etc. We all get up and empty what little possessions we have into a box. As I approach the box I notice there are at least thirty condoms scattered around it. Who the hell comes to Parris Island planning on getting some?

Soon enough we fall out for haircuts. Each haircut lasts less than twelve seconds and the “barber” grinds the clippers over your scalp with no guard, a zero. If your head ain’t bleeding when they’re done then it’s too long.

During this whole time we are running on adrenaline and curiosity. Sleep is the last thing on my mind, at the time. Next comes the uniform issue. A prick E-1 and E-2 run things and at the time they were more Marines than us, but still pricks. I was very concerned about getting the wrong size boot or blouse amidst all the commotion. Sure enough my blouse was a size too large but I got lucky on the boots. I still wear those humongous blouses but make do.

After uniform issue is hygiene items and the like. Everything gets dumped into a big laundry bag and checked off. You also get your go fasters (tennis shoes) and shower shoes (flip flops).

After all the issue gear in the receiving building we are taken upstairs to a receiving squadbay. Some recruits are already there. We are left alone, all 80 of us, for brief periods of time and soon discover that there are three guys already trying to run [censored]. Their names are Smith, Marx and Korn. They’ve been on the island since January and got sick or broke off. You can usually tell a lot about people by first impressions. In their case - Grade A freaking losers. We stow our gear behind us and sit Indian style on the imaginary black line. Some get up to piss and drink from the water fountain. The door into the squadbay is hidden behind a wall. Everytime the door opens everyone stops talking and expects to see a drill instructor turn the corner and unleash hell. Soon enough others realized this and thought it was funny to open the door and play games. The whole episode was similar to the boy who cried wolf. That is until there is this tan, tall, mean looking guy with a smokey bear on standing up front with his arms crossed. Drill Instructor SSgt Cerrano. He was a cool guy. No games. Just get it done and move on type of guy. One thing always made me laugh when he showed his teeth though….his silver and gray braces. Who woulda thunk it? A big, bad, mean, recruit stomping drill instructor with a mouth full of metal.

#319329 - 07/30/07 02:30 PM Re: Part II [Re: Teufelhunden]
Spike
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Oakland, TN. USA

You gotta write faster you are killin me.

#320127 - 07/31/07 12:54 AM Re: Part II [Re: Spike]
Teufelhunden
14 Point

Loc: Oak Ridge

Will do. What can I say? I'm busy. \:\)

#320547 - 07/31/07 10:10 AM Re: Part II [Re: Teufelhunden]
Tnyoteboy
6 Point

Loc: Bartlett

Keep it coming.

#398942 - 09/15/07 04:26 PM Re: Part II [Re: Tnyoteboy]
rem270
18 Point

Loc: south fulton

keep it coming man this is a great story

Its not what happens in life, but how you react to it that matters.

#409612 - 09/21/07 05:08 PM Re: Part II [Re: rem270]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

content Online
Don't leave is hanging....great story so far!!!!

#410508 - 09/22/07 07:01 PM Re: Part II [Re: TNDeerGuy]
Eric T.
16 Point

Loc: Tampa, FL

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
swampdonkey83, chrisp711, DEH20, tomtalker, jg12
13193 Registered Users
Who's Online
106 registered (MIDDLEFORK, SKFOOTER, Tborne, mimitk, moondog, bigtex, 13 invisible) and 159 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13193 Members
42 Forums
91343 Topics
1067863 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.04 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.