Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3828090 - 11/10/14 09:42 AM Deer processing, whats your technique?
Rocky Top
4 Point

Loc: Maury County, Tennessee

I have been processing my own deer for about 8-10yrs now but just wondered what different techniques there are on here. I know some people that hang theirs for several days, some that soak the meat in a cooler, some that go straight to the freezer.

I usually hang mine from an equipment barn for a little while, if the highs are in the 40's maybe all day and over night. Once skinned I don't quarter it but cut the meat off the bone from there in the pieces that I want. I start with the backstraps, then I take what meat I want off the front shoulders for burger meat, then I go to the hind quarters and cut the roasts off there. From the hind quarters I get what I call two "round" roasts and then 4 "sirloins". I now there are more efficient ways of processing out there but this is a mostly my self taught way. The majority of the rest of the meat and bone I smoke/grill for the dogs. From there I put the meat into a cooler, let it soak a little bit to remove excess blood and then freeze what I don't want to use right away.

The reason I started this topic is to just gain knowledge from everyone out there that process their own deer so any comments or ideas are welcome. I seen somewhere the other day a popular way of storing deer meat is to can it.... My momma and even myself can a lot of vegetables or fruits but meat.... I can do SPAM but....

Aim small, miss small.

#3828352 - 11/10/14 12:44 PM Re: Deer processing, whats your technique? [Re: Rocky Top]
DntBrnDPig
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN

I dont have the stuff to let a deer hang. I'm like you - I debone everything into the cuts. I mostly take the backstraps, loins, and rear roasts off. Everything else I try to get as much as I can but it has so much sinew that you have to have a decent grinder to take care of.

I will usually give the front legs to the dogs unless I can get some chunks off.

#3828452 - 11/10/14 01:54 PM Re: Deer processing, whats your technique? [Re: DntBrnDPig]
thetoolman
8 Point

Loc: Charlotte, Tennessee

I skin out, take front legs, backstraps, ribs, tenderloin and hind quarters and put in a cooler with ice and take in the house for final processing and packing.

I cut roasts and steaks best I can, pack the ribs with butcher paper and have a bowl of stew meat/grind meat. Usually yield about 40-45% that way.

"Vegetarian" old Indian word for Bad Hunter

http://www.completepctherapy.com

#3828783 - 11/10/14 05:22 PM Re: Deer processing, whats your technique? [Re: thetoolman]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I always retain and freeze the shanks, both front and rear, on the bone. Braised shank is the richest and most flavorful cut of meat on a deer.

I usually freezer some or a number of quarters whole for sausage making purposes which I usually do in Jan/Feb when I have more time on the weekends.

I usually keep the hindquarters in whole roast cuts. The sirloin strips are frozen individually. They aren't very big but that gives me two options: 1. I can add it to another roast if I need more meat for a roast. 2. I thaw them out, cut a piece off each day, tenderize it and fry it up for lunch for 2-4 days in a row. Though tougher than backstraps, these are excellent cuts for this purpose. On younger deer, you can treat them just like backstrap.

Front shoulders are usually ground and/or used for sausage making purposes. Neck meat is either roasts for sausage making as well.

I put this description together of butchering a hindquarter and identifying the different cuts of meat: http://gocarnivore.com/2013/12/05/venison-leg-takedown/

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3830010 - 11/11/14 12:45 PM Re: Deer processing, whats your technique? [Re: Poser]
DntBrnDPig
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN

Nice.

#3830480 - 11/11/14 06:22 PM Re: Deer processing, whats your technique? [Re: DntBrnDPig]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

I get home, hang them, and skin them out. I cut out everything and they go straight into the fridge and chill for at least 24 hours. Depending on how much I'm hunting they may chill for up to 4 or 5 days before I get to them. I cut everything up (usually just seperating muscle groups), shrink wrap everything, and freeze it. The best tip I could give anyone no matter how they cut it up is to make sure the meat is chilled first. It makes all the difference in the world when cutting.

#3831252 - 11/12/14 09:24 AM Re: Deer processing, whats your technique? [Re: Mike Belt]
Pic IN the Casa
TurdFarmer2.0
16 Point

Loc: TN

Poser, very good instructional.

#3832774 - 11/13/14 12:39 PM Re: Deer processing, whats your technique? [Re: Pic IN the Casa]
botta
Spike

Loc: alabama

I bone them out soon as I get home, place into cooler with ice (not touching the meat) for 2-3 days. Then, I burger the fronts, burger most of the rears (except for steak meat I may want) and I cut the tenderloins in half and roll in butcher paper. I grind the meat and put into the 1lb bags with my stuffer. I have a few "go to" recipes that require burger (snack stix, summer sausage, brats, jerky) so I prefer to have mostly burger. probably more than 100 deer thru that little grinder lol. Like others, I prefer to do my "cooking" in February- or after the season closes for sure. We eat about 6 deer a year.
#3832850 - 11/13/14 01:34 PM Re: Deer processing, whats your technique? [Re: botta]
Rocky Top
4 Point

Loc: Maury County, Tennessee

Poser that is great information! I do have one question though for those that finish theirs up after season, do you freeze it, then go finish it, then turn around and refreeze?

Also Poser could you share that braised shank recipe? I have thought about trying to smoke a whole shank in the past but was too worried it would be too gamey for my wife and it would be wasted.

Aim small, miss small.

#3833584 - 11/13/14 11:07 PM Re: Deer processing, whats your technique? [Re: Rocky Top]
Killing time
4 Point

Loc: West Tennesse

I hang it, skin it, cut out backstraps and tenderloin, then soulders and hams, maybe neck. All done with one knife. No sawing on bone, except for the neck. Then we place the meat in one of those ice coolers, like you see outside convenience stores, for about 7 days to let it age. Then its wrapped up and placed in the freezer. The only thing i dont do is grind. I take it to a processor if i want hamburger or sausage.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (Jimmy1320, Zulu, redheadshooter, tnbucs1) and 72 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.