Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3813995 - Yesterday at 10:00 PM Still hunt bow kill-bloody pic warning
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

Today ranks among the top in my list of most enjoyable hunts. I went to a familiar public land spot-where I shot my first deer with a bow (this deer is my second ever) It is a steep ridge overlooking a bottom. I decided against taking my deer stand. I felt it would be just as efficient to sit on the side of the ridge as it is virtually a straight drop off, and I was much higher than the deer would be. At about 8:00 I randomly decided I wanted to ease around a little. I walked down into the bottom and up the next ridge. It was very thick. The leaves were quiet enough I could sneak up on a deer, but at the same time loud enough I could hear a careless deer wandering around. Once atop the ridge I heard movement. To my right I saw ears twitching about 25 yards away. It was bedded coyote. I watched it groom itself for a few minutes before it got up. I thought he walked away so I started easing again. He had only moved a few yards and was standing on a fallen tree at that point. I watched him before he left again. I decided to sit and see if I could see him. Squirrels on the ridge over from where he was indicated he had left the area. I carried on easing. About .5 mile later I was in another familiar spot. I was finding a lot of deer sign at this point and had actually picked out a tree to sit in watching a scrape line on an old road bed. At that point I was getting far from the truck and with it being 9:45 I wanted to head back. I walked down the ridge and saw movement on the ridge in front of me. I had managed to circle around the coyote. I pulled my phone out and videoed him (I cannot for the life of me get it to upload.. been trying all evening) I lip squeaked to call him towards me. He walked about 20 yards from me and stayed. I could not have been any more in the open, but he never managed to see me. He walked around, stretched, scratched, groomed, and anything you can imagine until he caught wind of something. His ears perked. His attention was not directed to me though. I started to here it headed our way. I knew what it was. Deer always come out of the thicket in the direction the sound was coming from and head up either one of two hollers. The coyote ran off.. to my surprise the deer ran straight towards him! It fed on the ridge in front of me but he was a good 80 yards away. I could make out a set of antlers and what looked like a 3.5 year old body. I knew where he was going so I decided to back out and try to cut him off at a power line to get a better look. I walked about five yards and heard another coming. This one was about twenty yards away.. waited about five minutes and never got to see what it was. I doubted I would see the buck cross the power line after waiting, but to my luck when I got there I at least got to see two doe about 50 yards away. They never saw me, and I also videoed them some. I needed to get back to my truck but didn't want to pressure them so I went out the old logging trail to the main road to avoid spooking the deer. Once I felt like I was far enough passed them I cut back into the woods. I walked down a ridge and across a bottom. As I headed up the next ridge I heard blowing.. Immediately after, a doe ran straight towards me. She got about five yards before seeing me draw. Her and two others trotted by and stopped behind some cover. The fourth stopped at five or so yards in an opening in the limbs. I released and she dropped in her tracks. My shot was a bit higher than I intended and quartered a little so my arrow hit her back shoulder and as she fell it broke.. not a big deal though. I walked over to her immediately after the shot with knife in hand.. didn't need it though. I could tell she had expired almost immediately after the arrow hit. I didn't think about knocking another arrow or I could have killed the fawn of the group. I drug her to the road I had just came from and walked down it a bit. I jumped two bedded 15 yards from the road. In a brier patch. After that all I had left was the long walk back to the truck!

I took this pic right after the shot.. you should be able to see her white belly by the little curved trees. She was standing to the left and a bit farther back from where she is laying, but fell over and rolled down the hill a few feet.

Shot her right in "the void" lol.. The Swhacker did the trick. If you notice the entrance hole was lower as she was a fair bit higher up than me. I only use one pin and it is set 25 (only 2" difference from 10 to 25). I was aimed at double lung. I was using cheap carbon express arrows that I piced up at wal mart. I had lost one of my FMJs and broke two and just recently lost another when my sight broke while I was practicing (screw broke loose so easy fix after trip to fastenal)

My ground streak has continued.. I haven't shot one from a tree stand in two years.

I'll add the coyote video when/if it decides to upload

Edited by Master Chief (Yesterday at 10:24 PM)

"It's not whatcha got, it's what you give." -Tesla

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."
-John Muir

#3814026 - Yesterday at 10:37 PM Re: Still hunt bow kill-bloody pic warning [Re: Master Chief]
RidgeRunner13
4 Point

Loc: Claxton, TN

Congrats
#3814028 - Yesterday at 10:39 PM Re: Still hunt bow kill-bloody pic warning [Re: Master Chief]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

Congrats

#3814046 - Yesterday at 11:20 PM Re: Still hunt bow kill-bloody pic warning [Re: easy45]
TnBullet
4 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN. USA

Congrats
#3814076 - Today at 04:35 AM Re: Still hunt bow kill-bloody pic warning [Re: TnBullet]
xtremedeerman
4 Point

Loc: tennessee

Congrats!
#3814078 - Today at 04:44 AM Re: Still hunt bow kill-bloody pic warning [Re: xtremedeerman]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Congrats!

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3814110 - Today at 06:25 AM Re: Still hunt bow kill-bloody pic warning [Re: MUP]
cozy23
6 Point

Loc: Wilson Co.

Sounds like a good hunt! Congrats!
#3814175 - 16 seconds ago Re: Still hunt bow kill-bloody pic warning [Re: cozy23]
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Loc: Kingston Springs

content Online
congrats

Spending money I dont have

on things I dont need

to impress people I dont know

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
jtw465, lovetohunt96, Csfraley, Big Dc, JaxTN870
13411 Registered Users
Who's Online
96 registered (Stk_Um_N_The_Vitals, Coker, Brisco Darlin, TN Larry, leader, JAD, 7 invisible) and 159 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13411 Members
42 Forums
96648 Topics
1131580 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.354 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.