Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3811914 - Yesterday at 07:45 AM Hunting Public Land
Nimrod777
Non-Typical

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

Composed this on the fly to answer a PM. It's nothing revolutionary, but figured I may as well throw it out here in case it helps someone else consider their approach to hunting public land.

It's impossible to claim a hard and fast rule, as such a variety of hunters may be on a particular tract of public land, but here are some generalities I've noticed.

1) The old rule of 200 yards is pretty solid, that being a 200 yard or greater walk from any road or parking area will get you away from at least half the hunters. I will sit and study the satellite photo to find the pockets of land that fall outside of easy road access, and mark those for further investigation. There will be a few other savvy hunters doing the same thing, but other than opening weekends, you may not run into any of them.

2) Hunting off days is prime. I'm off on Thursdays, and I'm rarely bumped off my intended spot by another vehicle being parked there. And when gun seasons heat up, those off days will be when deer see/hear/smell the least disturbance, and are more likely to move.

3) Hunt early, and hunt escape routes. If you are hunting on the weekends, when areas see the most pressure, go to be early, get up earlier than seems sensible. That will give you a good shot at being first to your spot. Even if you go way back in the woods, hook up your stand, and curl up to sleep at the base of the tree, waiting to climb until a little later, that will mean that every hunter after you will be pushing deer away from the road and toward you. If you can find a protected little draw between the parking area and a thick jungle of nasty, that may be just where deer will be heading.

4) Hunt later. Depending on pressure, it may make the most sense to stay in a warm bed, have breakfast with the kids, then head to the woods. With the average weekend warrior coming out of the woods by 11 for burgers and fries, it's a great time to be in a tree watching for deer getting pushed around by rush hour.

5) Most of all, remember this: Deer don't know these rules. Last Thursday I shot one mature doe out of 8 deer seen by 8 AM. I could see the windshield of my truck from my tree stand. The funnel area I was hunting just wasn't a great looking spot at first glance, which is why everyone walks past it. But again, I'm there on Thursday, bow season, and no one else is. Always keep your mind open to outside-the-box thinking. It just may help you score a rebel deer that breaks all the rules.

Safe hunting!

#3811928 - Yesterday at 07:56 AM Re: Hunting Public Land [Re: Nimrod777]
leader
16 Point

Loc: Knox

content Online
Good post....

#3811939 - Yesterday at 08:04 AM Re: Hunting Public Land [Re: leader]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3811948 - Yesterday at 08:17 AM Re: Hunting Public Land [Re: Poser]
J.W.308
8 Point

Loc: Beaver ,Tn USA

Great post . I hunt public land a lot and have found that most hunters start climbing down around 10:00-11:00 o'clock . I carry a lite lunch and stay in my stand till dark . That way you get the early leavers and the afternoon hunters to push deer off their beds
#3811950 - Yesterday at 08:18 AM Re: Hunting Public Land [Re: Poser]
TNOutdoorCo
4 Point

Good stuff

Check out our new logos and merchandise!

volunteeroutdoor.com

Be Tennessee Be Outdoors

#3811958 - Yesterday at 08:26 AM Re: Hunting Public Land [Re: TNOutdoorCo]
bigasports
8 Point

Loc: Spring Hill

content Online
I will be hunting with Nimrod the rest of the season. Just sayN!!!! I will come pick you up Keith!!!!
I love only that which they defend.
J.R.R. Tolkien

#3811968 - Yesterday at 08:35 AM Re: Hunting Public Land [Re: bigasports]
rooketnhunter
Spike

Great info ,thanks
#3811977 - Yesterday at 08:41 AM Re: Hunting Public Land [Re: bigasports]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
I'll be hunting public land this weekend during the Hatchie refuge quota hunt. Getting there early and getting in settled in before other hunters enter the woods is one of my usual strategies, especially when doing quota hunts when pressure is sudden and overwhelming. I've also found that during quota hunts, many hunters tend to scout for a better spot during the late morning and midday. With that in mind, there is always a decent chance of deer getting spooked and being on their feet. I also try to hunt areas that other hunters wouldn't consider hunting, usually because its too thick and doesn't take advantage of the distance ability of their weapon. When there is a choice choice between rabbit habitat and open mature hardwoods, where are the deer going to be and where are the hunters going to be?

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3812082 - Yesterday at 10:23 AM Re: Hunting Public Land [Re: Poser]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

content Online
Shut up! They will find your spot!!! Lol
Good info Keith

#3812087 - Yesterday at 10:26 AM Re: Hunting Public Land [Re: ImThere]
Nimrod777
Non-Typical

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

Originally Posted By: ImThere
Shut up! They will find your spot!!! Lol
Good info Keith

They'd better not! I've worked hard to shadow you so I could FIND those spots!!

When we gonna hunt, bro? And BigA, you need to getcha a Thursday off \:D

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
lovetohunt96, Csfraley, Big Dc, JaxTN870, IDOT
13410 Registered Users
Who's Online
121 registered (BigRod, Mossy Oak, lung-buster, mimitk, splatter, Rubberduck270, 11 invisible) and 158 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13410 Members
42 Forums
96566 Topics
1130724 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.052 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.