Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3801639 - Yesterday at 05:59 PM Best Climbing System
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

I just bought a guido's web, and for those of you that hunt from this style treestand, what do u use?
I'm looking for something light to pack, and requires little energy to hang and climb..

#3801735 - Yesterday at 07:16 PM Re: Best Climbing System [Re: BHC]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

content Online
Look to Poser and Vermin93 to give you some good insight from real world experience. I expect they'll chime in here soon.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3801778 - Yesterday at 07:37 PM Re: Best Climbing System [Re: Andy S.]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
Its the "requires little energy" part that's kind of open to interpretation.
What kind of shape are you in?

I use a combination of Cranford rope on steps and some rock climbing gear that I modified. I wouldn't say that it requires "little energy", but, even though it requires a certain level of physicality, its certainly not difficult.

One of my partners uses the seated platform section of the smallest Lonewolf climber (they sell the seats separate from the platform). He moves a girth hitched tether up the tree with him, hangs from it in his harness and moves the platform up with his feet like you would a regular climber. At the top, he uses that small platform as his base and places 1 or 2 more Cranford steps so that he can move 360 around the tree if needed.

He went with that Lonewolf seat because it is the smallest and lightest platform on the market, BUT, he did weigh several pieces of Lonewolf climbers and platforms and they are all several pounds heavier than advertised. Just an FYI.

While his system is simple and efficient, it also requires some physicality, particularly core strength as you hang from the tree and raise your knees up to your chest to bring the platform up one section at a time. That's an easy task for some and a very difficult task for others.

The conventional way to do it would be to use climbing sticks, but I'm not a fan of that method as I don't consider them very portable or light in relation to the task they perform.

I don't think there is any straight forward solution that the hunting industry offers that doesn't require modification. On the plus side, at least you don't have to carry a hunk of metal around on your back \:\)

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3801846 - Yesterday at 08:18 PM Re: Best Climbing System [Re: Poser]
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

I am definitely not in the shape I once was, but I'm still young (24) and would consider myself in decent shape to get up and down a tree. I'm most concerned with noise and getting all sweaty ascending. I have about decided on the Crawford rope steps. Is that also what u use for your platform? Are they good and stable? How many does it take to get up 20-25 ft?

#3801870 - Yesterday at 08:31 PM Re: Best Climbing System [Re: BHC]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

# of steps is dependent on u and how far u want to stretch between each. It takes me a dozen steps to get around 25 ft. Lots of choices out there and don't knock them til u try them as I have been surprised.
#3802096 - Today at 12:55 AM Re: Best Climbing System [Re: BHC]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

BHC - congrats on purchasing a Web! I love mine. Best all-around treestand hunting platform there is, in my opinion.

As far as climbing systems go, there are a lot of options that can be used with a mobile hunting setup like the Web or a Tree Saddle or a lightweight hang-on stand. Here's a quick look at a few options to give you some perspective:

Set of 4 Ameristep Aluminum Rapid Rails: Cost about $100. Weight about 13 lbs.

Set of 4 Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks: Cost about $170. Weight about 11 lbs.

Set of 12 Cranford EZY Climb Folding Rope Tree Steps: Cost about $108. Weight about 7 lbs.

Set of 12 Cranford EZY Climb Detachable Tree Steps with 12 EZY Climb Detachable Lag Screws: Cost about $70 (additional lag screws are $2 each). Weight about 6.5 lbs.

Multi-step solutions like the Ameristep Rapid Rails and Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks have the benefit of only having to connect 4 individual sticks to the tree. The disadvantage is that they weigh more and are bulkier to transport.

Single-step solutions like the Cranford EZY Climb Steps have the advantage of weighing less and being easier to transport, but you have the burden of having to connect 8 to 12 individual steps to the tree.

In my opinion, the absolute best treestand climbing system on the planet is the Cranford EZY Climb Detachable Tree Steps with EZY Climb Detachable Lag Screws. However, they are useless if you are not allowed to use screw-in steps where you hunt (I use mine in the awesome deer hunting state of Kansas, which allows screw-in steps everywhere!). If you can't use screw-in steps where you hunt, then I would go with the Cranford EZY Climb Folding Rope Tree Steps. The best price is at eders.com. A set of 12 will run you about $108 shipped.

Cranford EZYClimb Folding Rope Tree Step, 4/pk.

If you want to get the most out of the Web, you will need a step belt to give you the ability to step around the tree if the situation calls for it. The most popular solution for a step belt is 4, 5 or 6 Ameristep Strap On Tree Steps connected to a single belt that you attach to the tree at the height you want your feet to be at. If you use a strap with a cam buckle it will be quieter to attach the step belt to the tree, but it will likely come a little bit lose as you step on it during your hunt. If you use a ratchet strap it will make noise when you attach the step belt to the tree, but it will cinch down nice and tight and stay put. The only issue is that the Ameristep Strap On Tree Steps were discontinued several years ago and there is no similar product available today. As a result, they sell for a premium on ebay and places like Archery Talk if you can find them for sale at all. Most of them have been snatched up by Web and Tree Saddle users. I have seen them sell as high as $20 a step, but usually they go for about $12 a step on ebay. So, a set of 5 for a step belt will probably run you at least $60 if you can find some for sale. Not too long ago someone had a nice set of them for sale in the tndeer classifieds for cheap! They got snatched up really quick. I was bummed that I missed them.

Best of luck to you with the Web and make sure you practice climbing with it, sitting in it, and shooting from it before you actually go in the woods to hunt with it.

#3802269 - 10 minutes 23 seconds ago Re: Best Climbing System [Re: Vermin93]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
Excellent comparison, Vermin.

ON the Cranford steps, I place them as far as part as I possibly can and rely on a combination of hip flexibility and weighing my lineman's belt to get up the tree only using a few. In order to skip several placements down low, I use to Black Diamond Etriers (rock climbing gear).

I place the first step as high above my head as I can reach. I then climb the etrier and repeat that process.

Here is my buddy's setup using the Lonewolf platform:

My setup using only Cranford steps:

One thing that is a PITA about the Cranford rope on steps is that, especially after climbing small diameter trees, the cords will get twisted up over time reducing your surface contact and compromising your purchase on the tree. Every so often, you have to unthread them, untwist the cord and rethread them. I use a coat hanger to assist with this task.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
128 registered (Poser, Ed B, griz01, imograss, Buccaneer, 2in1shot, 9 invisible) and 191 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95705 Topics
1120370 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.093 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.