Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#3800604 - Yesterday at 09:37 PM Re: BAIT [Re: rem270]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

Loc: Milan, TN

content Online
Are people really doubting scientific studies published as a scholarly article? I didn't realize that we had so many scientists on here that have researched this topic first hand and can say that the other info is not true.

Corn is not really a very good food source for deer but they love to eat it. If you bait with corn then you will influence deer to eat more corn than they normally would. That negatively affects that individual animal and that herd. And before anybody starts pointing out that deer eat X amount of corn in Y place, each situation is different and varies by location. To say that a single situation is true in all instances is rediculous. That goes for the "Kentucky deer are fine despite baiting" argument. How do yall know that each deer is ok? Have yall tested many different herds to identify diseases that are present? Do you know the mortality rates of those herds vs TN herds? Just remember, correlation does not equal causation.

Just because it's bad-a** don't mean it's a good idea.

#3800607 - Yesterday at 09:38 PM Re: BAIT [Re: rem270]
Mark71211
Button

Loc: Annapolis

content Online
I don't get how deer can spread CWD while eating baited corn but can't when a tree drops all it's acorns or a small food plot or user a apple tree. When I put out corn it's spread over a 20x20 square yards and cause its corn they will get sick from it?
#3800649 - Yesterday at 10:11 PM Re: BAIT [Re: Realtree]
Realtree
4 Point

Loc: Tn

From a scientific study I did one time, the corn doesn't lay on the ground long enough to mold or create a infected area. Lol just my opinion. Thanks for all the replies , glad to see everyone get pumped up. Good Luck To All
#3800688 - Yesterday at 10:37 PM Re: BAIT [Re: DirtyBear0311]
landman
10 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

content Online
 Originally Posted By: DirtyBear0311
Are people really doubting scientific studies published as a scholarly article? I didn't realize that we had so many scientists on here that have researched this topic first hand and can say that the other info is not true.

Corn is not really a very good food source for deer but they love to eat it. If you bait with corn then you will influence deer to eat more corn than they normally would. That negatively affects that individual animal and that herd. And before anybody starts pointing out that deer eat X amount of corn in Y place, each situation is different and varies by location. To say that a single situation is true in all instances is rediculous. That goes for the "Kentucky deer are fine despite baiting" argument. How do yall know that each deer is ok? Have yall tested many different herds to identify diseases that are present? Do you know the mortality rates of those herds vs TN herds? Just remember, correlation does not equal causation.

I'm not saying I'm for baiting

But deer die offs happen healthy or not
just remember EDH, TN if effected it hard

Corn getting wet a killing animals ???
I have corn or the ground behind the house
30acres of it, it always happen after harvest, you
see other food sources mold too, apples, soybeans
Pears, etc even in the natural state....scholars
voice and print their opinions just like me and you
Doesn't always mean they are correct in every
case

Think about it, if feeding corn to deer causes
some to die because it's been outside and wet
there would be no deer cause they get feed year round
In about ever state and have been forever

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#3800705 - Yesterday at 10:50 PM Re: BAIT [Re: landman]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

content Online
Again, correlation does not equal causation. Just because all deer don't die from old corn on the ground does not mean that a large number of them won't. And deer do not normally eat wet corn year round that has been laying on the ground. And they certainly don't eat from big piles of it. Those piles are what causes the negative outcomes. That allows for the easy spread of mold and the forced grouping of deer. Nose to nose contact happens in the wild, just not at the frequency that baiting causes. Baiting basically takes normal dangers and magnifies them. It's the same as you going out to the store in the fall. You may get a cold from someone or you may not. But if you're forced to be in the face of everyone and eat from the same big bowl as them, then your chances of getting a cold greatly increase.

The way that scholarly articles and what not works is that they are heavily reviewed by the experts of that specific field. The level of accuracy it takes to publish something like that is so high that anything in a scientific journal is basically taken as indisputable fact in most circumstances. It's not just some sciency d-bag who types his thoughts out and expects us all to buy into it, regardless of facts or bias.

#3800785 - Today at 06:05 AM Re: BAIT [Re: DirtyBear0311]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

content Online
Lets take out the term "bait" and replace it with "feeding", since the corn or whatever doesn't become bait until its hunted over. I see all these trail cam pics on here of deer eating "feed". Yet I don't hear anyone complaining about this. In theory shouldn't the "feed" cause deer to get sick and have disease. Guys put the corn out for pics year round seems like for either deer or turkey, whats the difference? Some of these same guys are the ones screaming how they are against baiting because it hurts overall herd health....Is there really a difference? SMH at all this........Seems like we got some people hung up on terminology... I will even go out on a limb and say all this corn used for pics is prolly not completely gone 10 dsys before the hunt...Not saying everyone does this but I bet some do and especially during turkey season...

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3800807 - Today at 06:50 AM Re: BAIT [Re: Roost 1]
landman
10 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Roost 1
Lets take out the term "bait" and replace it with "feeding", since the corn or whatever doesn't become bait until its hunted over. I see all these trail cam pics on here of deer eating "feed". Yet I don't hear anyone complaining about this. In theory shouldn't the "feed" cause deer to get sick and have disease. Guys put the corn out for pics year round seems like for either deer or turkey, whats the difference? Some of these same guys are the ones screaming how they are against baiting because it hurts overall herd health....Is there really a difference? SMH at all this........Seems like we got some people hung up on terminology... I will even go out on a limb and say all this corn used for pics is prolly not completely gone 10 dsys before the hunt...Not saying everyone does this but I bet some do and especially during turkey season...

Now there's a scholarly report for ya

Edited by landman (Today at 06:50 AM)

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#3800823 - Today at 07:25 AM Re: BAIT [Re: Roost 1]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Roost 1

I agree actually. As was said earlier in this thread, the idea of ending the feeding of wildlife is gaining momentum and will hopefully be passed one day. As the law stands now, I think it only eliminates some of the desire to put out food. Folks could still use salt and mineral blocks since the sodium in them kills off most of the nasties. However, I don't think as much corn is being put into such a big pile to be left out for so long when it comes to bringing in deer to get them on camera. Then again, I'm only speaking from my experiences on that.

#3800843 - Today at 07:52 AM Re: BAIT [Re: WG Taxidermist]
shwackmaster
Spike

Loc: knox co.

Legalize feeding, baiting or whatever you want to call it. The almighty hunters that post preseason pics of deer on corn piles then say its unhealthy??? come on guys. I am not a scientist but I must assume that the second a deer licks a salt block the salt kills anything that could transmit any diseases. What about a 1/4 acre foodplot which 20 deer show up to pick in? There has to be saliva everywhere. Don't hunt over a cut corn field if you have it to hunt over! Most guys don't hunt in high deer density areas may not even have an oak tree on a 100 acre patch of land...It would be nice to put out a bag of corn for my kids before they go to hunt. And yes all hunters aren't looking for the 120+ inch buck. Corn is magic to attract deer IMO.
Don't forget...Opinions are like armpits!!! mine included.

#3800847 - Today at 08:03 AM Re: BAIT [Re: Mark71211]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Mark71211
I don't get how deer can spread CWD while eating baited corn but can't when a tree drops all it's acorns or a small food plot or user a apple tree. When I put out corn it's spread over a 20x20 square yards and cause its corn they will get sick from it?

Eating acorns in the woods is like eating a restaurant: Different groups of people are eating at different tables.

Eating from a small food plot is like eating from a buffet table.

Eating from a bait pile is like eating from a buffet table, except the buffet only has one pile of one type of food and everyone is sticking their hands in it to get some.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
85 registered (Master Chief, UTGrad, vanleerbuckbuster, 444 Fan, scn, vj333, 8 invisible) and 134 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95691 Topics
1120160 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.