Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3770118 - Today at 08:05 PM Honey hole basically destroyed
stringtalker
4 Point

Loc: monroe county, tennessee

content Online
Had a good piece of land to deer hunt, killed my best buck there, a 143" ten pointer. But last year they started cutting the timber and have practically destroyed the place, makes me sick. So now im out a huntn spot, goin to be a bad year

#3770123 - Today at 08:09 PM Re: Honey hole basically destroyed [Re: stringtalker]
Marion deer hunter
6 Point

Loc: Marion County

Been there done that. 3 years in a row my climbing trees at 3 different tracts of land were destroyed. Only good thing I can say is give it about 5 years and it will probably even be a better place to hunt.

#3770125 - Today at 08:10 PM Re: Honey hole basically destroyed [Re: stringtalker]
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Loc: Kingston Springs

best hunting i ever had on a farm was after it was logged

Spending money I dont have

on things I dont need

to impress people I dont know

#3770147 - Today at 08:19 PM Re: Honey hole basically destroyed [Re: Deer Assassin]
stringtalker
4 Point

Loc: monroe county, tennessee

content Online
But these guys are destroying the place. The good old logging roads that were there aint even walkable now, they have ruts and mud waist deep, crazy

#3770190 - Today at 08:54 PM Re: Honey hole basically destroyed [Re: stringtalker]
rem270
18 Point

Loc: south fulton

happy Online
They are supposed to fix all of that when they are finished. I wouldn't give up on the place. It will look like crap but the deer will love it. Give it a few years and it will look really good when the dead fall rots away.

Its not what happens in life, but how you react to it that matters.

#3770205 - Today at 09:11 PM Re: Honey hole basically destroyed [Re: rem270]
Deer Whisperer
10 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

You need to hunt it a few times. You may be surprised how many deer you will see.
#3770209 - Today at 09:14 PM Re: Honey hole basically destroyed [Re: rem270]
AllOutdoors
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
The ruts want bother the deer. Ive killed deer while watching a dozer cut new roads for logging.

#3770231 - 51 minutes 12 seconds ago Re: Honey hole basically destroyed [Re: rem270]
BlackBelt
10 Point

Loc: SouthWest TN

content Online
This isn't a bad thing! It's just a different thing.

Go and scout that area. The deer will walk the edges of a clear cut soon after it's cut. The deer didn't go anywhere. They are still in the area. They probably won't be walking across the open areas very often, but they will be working the edges.

I used to be heartbroken when my lease was clear cut. But because I didn't have any other choices at that time I continued to go out there. What I discovered is that the deer just changed their travel patterns. They were still going through the area, but they took different routes. After a morning of scouting I found their tracks and poop. It wasn't where it was before, but it was still there. The majority of the land was not even passable by foot because the heavy machinery had left huge ruts and downed trees were blocking most accesses. But that just meant that I needed a new way in, which wasn't a bad thing at all. I figured out a new way in, and how to get an ATV most of the way in (it was so bad that an ATV couldn't get through there hardly at all).

If you spend the time scouting, you'll probably find that the place is still a decent place to hunt, but it's just different than it used to be.

The best thing about a clear cut is that probably no one else will be hunting it because they feel like you do about it. Guess where the deer go when they are pressured? You got it. They will head to those areas that aren't being hunted. Except it will be hunted...by you. Find where there are lots of trees down...the big piles that the timber companies leave behind. They usually will leave little spots of undesirable trees behind also. Drag some downed pines over to several of them and make places for the deer to hide. Clear some of the trees and make some paths to these spots. Set up a staging area with attractants close by. This will take a day or so worth of work but will pay off for you. By the time rifle season gets here you may just have the hunt of a lifetime.

#3770236 - 46 minutes 56 seconds ago Re: Honey hole basically destroyed [Re: BlackBelt]
pastorbmp
10 Point

Loc: Wartburg,TN

What Blackbelt said!

1Ti 1:15: ...Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

#3770279 - 10 minutes 57 seconds ago Re: Honey hole basically destroyed [Re: BlackBelt]
280longshot
8 Point

Loc: Tn, Tipton

content Online
 Originally Posted By: BlackBelt
This isn't a bad thing! It's just a different thing.

Go and scout that area. The deer will walk the edges of a clear cut soon after it's cut. The deer didn't go anywhere. They are still in the area. They probably won't be walking across the open areas very often, but they will be working the edges.

I used to be heartbroken when my lease was clear cut. But because I didn't have any other choices at that time I continued to go out there. What I discovered is that the deer just changed their travel patterns. They were still going through the area, but they took different routes. After a morning of scouting I found their tracks and poop. It wasn't where it was before, but it was still there. The majority of the land was not even passable by foot because the heavy machinery had left huge ruts and downed trees were blocking most accesses. But that just meant that I needed a new way in, which wasn't a bad thing at all. I figured out a new way in, and how to get an ATV most of the way in (it was so bad that an ATV couldn't get through there hardly at all).

If you spend the time scouting, you'll probably find that the place is still a decent place to hunt, but it's just different than it used to be.

The best thing about a clear cut is that probably no one else will be hunting it because they feel like you do about it. Guess where the deer go when they are pressured? You got it. They will head to those areas that aren't being hunted. Except it will be hunted...by you. Find where there are lots of trees down...the big piles that the timber companies leave behind. They usually will leave little spots of undesirable trees behind also. Drag some downed pines over to several of them and make places for the deer to hide. Clear some of the trees and make some paths to these spots. Set up a staging area with attractants close by. This will take a day or so worth of work but will pay off for you. By the time rifle season gets here you may just have the hunt of a lifetime.

I understand completely but I quit hunting an area cause of the destruction left behind from logging, the woods looked like a bomb went off. Then all the undergrowth started growing making it impossible to even walk in.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
116 registered (Big Horn, OldFart, RxHunter, rem270, RKenney, UTGrad, 11 invisible) and 205 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93269 Topics
1089059 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.161 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.