Tndeer Logo

Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#376031 - 09/01/07 07:42 AM Yearling Dispersal Recruitment
8 POINTS OR BETTER
10 Point

Loc: Hardin, Co.

Any thoughts on drawing in yearling dispersal bucks to a certain property with food plots, and good habitat. Seems like with no acorns , if we could get some rain this would be a good year to pull some extra yearling bucks in to QDM land, when they are looking for a new home. I know some thank you can't stockpile bucks, but it seems to me we have more yearling bucks on the property I hunt after the season, than we did before the season.

#376464 - 09/01/07 04:49 PM Re: Yearling Dispersal Recruitment [Re: 8 POINTS OR BETTER]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

You ABSOLUTELY CAN stockpile bucks. I've seen it done many times. I don't know exactly why it works but it does. Better habitat (especially cover) will draw deer to a smaller property, but simply better herd dynamics (balanced sex ratio and advanced buck age structure) also draw deer for some reason, especially young bucks.

Most assume--using human logic--that having a bunch of mature bucks in one location would drive younger, subordinate bucks away. But I actually see just the opposite effect. I don't know why, but I see these small, managed properties--once the herd dynamics begin to improve-- suddenly start "accumulating" far more bucks than would normally occur in that area. And again, I really don't know why. My only guess is that good herd dynamics are somehow attractive to deer.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#376496 - 09/01/07 05:38 PM Re: Yearling Dispersal Recruitment [Re: BSK]
HOOK
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford County, TN

Interesting!!!

#376504 - 09/01/07 05:56 PM Re: Yearling Dispersal Recruitment [Re: HOOK]
Scrub Buck
4 Point

Loc: Hamilton County

I'm not trying to question you BSK just tying to understand. I'm almost positive that I read a post from you one time that said deer won't leave it's home range because there's food in another area. I think I remember you saying that deer don't know that there's food outside of their home range. Does this contradict your earlier statement or are they even related?
#376524 - 09/01/07 06:15 PM Re: Yearling Dispersal Recruitment [Re: Scrub Buck]
BigGameGuy
TWRA Biologist
12 Point

Loc: Nashville

Deer won't leave their home range in search of food as long as they're finding available food items within their home range, thats even if their food items are very low preference foods. They don't have the cognitive initiative to think, "hey, I bet I'll find tastier food items over the hill."

Deer primarily leave their home range for four reasons:

1.) they get kicked out by their mom and must establish their own home range (young bucks)

2.) their nose tells them there's a receptive doe "over the next hill" (older bucks)

3.) they can no longer find any food or water resources whatsoever and are forced to find something

4.) we push them out (sprawl)

#376541 - 09/01/07 06:23 PM Re: Yearling Dispersal Recruitment [Re: BigGameGuy]
Scrub Buck
4 Point

Loc: Hamilton County

I appreciate the info BGG.
#376611 - 09/01/07 07:33 PM Re: Yearling Dispersal Recruitment [Re: Scrub Buck]
8 POINTS OR BETTER
10 Point

Loc: Hardin, Co.

We're mainly talking about # 1. they get kicked out by their mom.

#376866 - 09/01/07 10:57 PM Re: Yearling Dispersal Recruitment [Re: Scrub Buck]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Scrub Buck
I'm not trying to question you BSK just tying to understand. I'm almost positive that I read a post from you one time that said deer won't leave it's home range because there's food in another area. I think I remember you saying that deer don't know that there's food outside of their home range. Does this contradict your earlier statement or are they even related?

Yes, it does. I've really had to reevaluate that old "standard" concept of buck movements we were all taught. I kept seeing very strange patterns in buck usage of individual properties that really flew in the face of that earlier belief. What I was seeing just didn't jive with that concept. Now there is some solid GPS-collar studies that show bucks really do move around considerably throughout their life-times and during an individual year. In fact, they may have less fidelity to a particular range than we ever imagined.

However, that bucks move around more than we though is very interesting information (and has many implications for small-land management), but the real question is "why do they make these movements?" What is the driving force/influence? Some of seasonal movements are certainly to access a critical resource, but which resource? Food? Cover? Some herd condition? And why do bucks display sometimes completely different rut-season ranges from one year to the next?

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#376952 - 09/01/07 11:37 PM Re: Yearling Dispersal Recruitment [Re: BSK]
BigGameGuy
TWRA Biologist
12 Point

Loc: Nashville

Originally Posted By: BSK
Yes, it does. I've really had to reevaluate that old "standard" concept of buck movements we were all taught. I kept seeing very strange patterns in buck usage of individual properties that really flew in the face of that earlier belief. What I was seeing just didn't jive with that concept. Now there is some solid GPS-collar studies that show bucks really do move around considerably throughout their life-times and during an individual year. In fact, they may have less fidelity to a particular range than we ever imagined.

However, that bucks move around more than we though is very interesting information (and has many implications for small-land management), but the real question is "why do they make these movements?" What is the driving force/influence? Some of seasonal movements are certainly to access a critical resource, but which resource? Food? Cover? Some herd condition? And why do bucks display sometimes completely different rut-season ranges from one year to the next?

I think the bucks nose can be attributed to some of these crazy jaunts.

#377258 - 09/02/07 11:47 AM Re: Yearling Dispersal Recruitment [Re: BigGameGuy]
BSK
Non-Typical

BGG,

Without question, the short-duration long-range shifts of older bucks during the rut can be absolutely attributed to much better noses than we ever imagined.

But the data coming from the latest Auburn study is absolutely revolutionary, especially the aspects of non-filelity between annual rut-season ranges. And this data perfectly matches some of my camera data.

#378180 - 09/03/07 10:19 AM Re: Yearling Dispersal Recruitment [Re: BSK]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

When you already have problems trying to somewhat "patternize" these bucks you guys aren't helping by telling me that my quarry is not "patternable"...LOL. They're attracted to food; they aren't. They're attracted to does; they aren't. They're attracted to a particular area during winter; they aren't.

It doesn't sound like there are many guarantees. When hunting "X" parcel of land I guess I'll stick to the cover edges with available food and does and hope for the best.

#378201 - 09/03/07 10:35 AM Re: Yearling Dispersal Recruitment [Re: Mike Belt]
BSK
Non-Typical

I hate to say it Mike, but from my data, I strongly believe mature bucks do not follow patterns. And there could be a couple of reasons for that.

#378424 - 09/03/07 01:53 PM Re: Yearling Dispersal Recruitment [Re: BSK]
156p&y
10 Point

Loc: Franklin Tn

Originally Posted By: BSK
I hate to say it Mike, but from my data, I strongly believe mature bucks do not follow patterns. And there could be a couple of reasons for that.

I don't have any data but I'm beginning to think the samething. It seems mature bucks will show habits much more than patterns and from those habits they will tend to show what looks like a pattern but they really are quite random. I know of some deer that I know I can harvest b/c of their personalities or habits and then others where I'm just gonna have to get extremely lucky.

#378711 - 09/03/07 05:21 PM Re: Yearling Dispersal Recruitment [Re: 156p&y]
TAS
6 Point

Loc: Hickman County

Just my observations from 30 something years of chasing mature bucks but they seem to set more of a pattern and have a smaller range in the vast remote wilderness/national forest areas than they do in farming regions. Though the farm bucks with high protein food resources get much bigger.

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
92 registered (redblood, diamond hunter, driver, doubledownranch, Deerhunter, meat hunter, 10 invisible) and 213 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13288 Members
42 Forums
85375 Topics
1031632 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.244 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.