Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3744380 - 08/25/14 07:44 PM You gotta get in shape!!!!
bassinbrian
4 Point

Loc: tennessee

hey guys, just something on my mind. Went on the mtn. with my old huntin buddy, 46yrs old 5'9 245lbs. hes very active but very outta shape!! walking the ridges and hills he sounded like a steam engine going up hill and struggling with its load!! Im 50 and have a job that requires me to stay fit, and pride wont let younger guys out do me (much...) But you got to be in shape if your gonna hump the mountains when hunting. The thought occured to me that if he had a heart attack or was seriously injured I would never be able to get him to saftey myself. The area we hunt is very rough and thick, no or limited cell service. So before season gets here a few things that will help, even if you have disabilites you can still get in shape. Walk for 30 min a day, dosent have to be fast, at first but try to build up speed, then maybe go to hills. Take Mama with you and enjoy the outdoors. A Treadmill is also a good option. Second, push ups !! you can do these on your knees if you have to, it helps build strength and will keep you from over extending you shoulders, chest muscles should you have to pull your self up a ridge, makes the tree climber easier also. Also try to do straight bar curls and dumb bell curls. Light weight is fine, do as many reps as comfortable, build up weight if you can, if you cant thats fine. These all help with range of motion and my keep you from injuring yourself and make your season more enjoyable!!! And maybe keep your partner from hauling you outta the woods!

#3745327 - 08/26/14 03:38 PM Re: You gotta get in shape!!!! [Re: bassinbrian]
cdtac1
4 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Very good info!
#3745358 - 08/26/14 04:22 PM Re: You gotta get in shape!!!! [Re: cdtac1]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Thanks for the tips bb! I need to get into some kind of regimen for sure.

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3745526 - 08/26/14 08:17 PM Re: You gotta get in shape!!!! [Re: MUP]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

I hunt exclusively on my own land which is flat but still I start doing dead lifts and clean & presses about this time of year to get ready for dragging and loading deer. I do a light dumbell routine daily year round but it's not enough to prepare for dragging a heavy deer any significant distance. Even doing deadlifts for 15 reps with 100 lbs helps tremendously for building muscle endurance.
#3745577 - 08/26/14 09:05 PM Re: You gotta get in shape!!!! [Re: Hunter 257W]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

Shed hunt and walk 10 miles a day when you do. You'll feel like you are in much better shape.

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#3745615 - 08/26/14 09:32 PM Re: You gotta get in shape!!!! [Re: Master Chief]
UTGrad
14 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

content Online
IMO cardiovascular fitness is the most helpful. I'm a runner and it sure makes hiking in and out a breeze. I need to do more isometric exercises but hunting makes the lungs and heart work hard. I could be "stronger" but it takes a lot to get me out of breath.

I've seen guys that are stout and strong but huff and puff under exertion cause they don't do any cardio.

#3745915 - Yesterday at 09:26 AM Re: You gotta get in shape!!!! [Re: UTGrad]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I sure hope all this running I've been doing makes a difference this year with walking in and out of stands in deep hollers, as well as dragging deer out.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3746144 - Yesterday at 02:22 PM Re: You gotta get in shape!!!! [Re: BSK]
UTGrad
14 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: BSK
I sure hope all this running I've been doing makes a difference this year with walking in and out of stands in deep hollers, as well as dragging deer out.

It absolutely will. Being in excellent cardio vascular fitness makes hunting enjoyable, not a chore.

#3746310 - Yesterday at 05:54 PM Re: You gotta get in shape!!!! [Re: BSK]
CATCHDAWG
10 Point

Loc: Bradley co. TN

That one made me laugh! I'm not making fun (seriously) but come over here and I'll show you what a "deep" holler looks like! Then you can show me how to kill big bucks out of them, trade? ;\)

#3746803 - Today at 09:03 AM Re: You gotta get in shape!!!! [Re: CATCHDAWG]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: CATCHDAWG

That one made me laugh! I'm not making fun (seriously) but come over here and I'll show you what a "deep" holler looks like! Then you can show me how to kill big bucks out of them, trade? ;\)

Thankfully, we have NOTHING like East TN has. If our terrain was like East TN, I might give up hunting!

But our small hollers (about 300 feet deep) are steep enough that you can't "walk" out of them, You have to pull yourself up tree to tree. To get some large-bodied bucks out of the bottom of them, we've had to strap a UTV to a tree at the top, run out all the winch cable to an ATV with all it's winch cable out, attached to four sections of 50 feet of cable linked end to end.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
101 registered (ffmedic, Cooter, JDP, SMarshall, WVBulldog, Mike Belt, 12 invisible) and 136 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91405 Topics
1068542 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.