Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3729728 - 08/09/14 11:16 AM Re: Hunting boots ? [Re: dsa5455]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

That is a definitely an interesting scent control technique for your boots and harness.

#3736646 - 08/18/14 02:31 PM Re: Hunting boots ? [Re: TN Whitetail Freak]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: TN Whitetail Freak
I have yet to find a boot that will last past 1 full hunting season....i need waterproof and every boot ive owned failed

Any leather or cordura boots will need to be retreated regularly in order to maintain their waterproof abilities. I have a pair of Vasque boots that I bought in 1998 that have had many hard miles on them and have even been resoled. I retreat them with Nikwax twice a year to maintain waterproofing and recondition as needed. There is no way around the retreatment process on leather and cordura boots. The DWR treatment will wear off as it gets grinded with dirt, dust and rock as well as from UV exposure.

The DWR treatments on cordura doesn't seem to last near as long as leather and, likewise, once the treatment wears off cordura, the boot fabric will saturate with water very quickly. I have a pair of snake boots that are mostly cordura and the problem I have had with retreating is that it is very difficult to get the dirt particles out of the fabric. If the material is not clean, then you won't be able to get them to be fully waterproof when retreating. For this reason, I have started to avoid cordura based boots in favor of pure leather.

Goretex can work fine as an additional waterproof layer for either leather or cordura, however, once your DWR wears off the, the Goretex fabric will become saturated quickly and start to leak, especially at the seams. The Goretex liner is not the reason that those boots are waterproof, it is merely a redundant layer.

Its hard to have one pair of "do it all boots." I often wear rubber and neoprene boots for shorter approaches during deer season. If I expect to do a lot of walking/hiking/scouting, I'll often wear a pair of leather boots because they are more comfortable, lighter and offer more direct support if I am carrying a load (pack and/or deer quarters). During turkey season, I often wear snake boots, but sometimes opt for hiking boots instead. I NEVER wear rubber or neoprene boots during turkey season -too hot and I do too much walking.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (gun nut, 1 invisible) and 73 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.