Loc: spencer, tn/houma, la.

Thats awesome. Someday ide like to catch one

#3735867 - 08/17/14 03:53 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: LA man]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
Those are good ones, are there any numbers up in there this year?

#3735878 - 08/17/14 04:05 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Tennessee Lead]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Color me jealous \:\)

#3735889 - 08/17/14 04:14 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: RUGER]
bigluresonly
6 Point

Loc: Cookeville

Bigguns!
#3735901 - 08/17/14 04:47 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: bigluresonly]
Model70Man
12 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

Awesome!
Zeiss Victory Varipoint #60 Illuminated

#3735903 - 08/17/14 04:50 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Model70Man]
stilllookin
4 Point

Loc: maynardville tn usa

Some days there seemed to be several. Caught these beast on top water plugs.
#3735913 - 08/17/14 05:02 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: stilllookin]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

Good riddance. Now go back and keep another limit tomorrow, and the next day, and the next, and the next, and the next, and.......

And bring all your friends to keep their limit also.

#3735921 - 08/17/14 05:20 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Buzzard Breath]
scn
16 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Buzzard Breath
Good riddance. Now go back and keep another limit tomorrow, and the next day, and the next, and the next, and the next, and.......

x2

#3735985 - 08/17/14 06:24 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Buzzard Breath]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

confused Online

yeah cause trout are the only fish in the water worth catching that should be allowed to breathe water...right

#3736019 - 08/17/14 06:52 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: catman529]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

Originally Posted By: catman529

yeah cause trout are the only fish in the water worth catching that should be allowed to breathe water...right

Edited by Buzzard Breath (08/17/14 07:05 PM)
Edit Reason: not worth my time

#3736037 - 08/17/14 07:07 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Buzzard Breath]
AllOutdoors
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
Big fish and nice catch. They sure do fight!...but they also eat largemouth and smallmouth. So long as its fits in there mouth, they will eat it.

#3736038 - 08/17/14 07:07 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Buzzard Breath]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

confused Online

Nope. The guy looks hungry and could probably use the meat to feed his family. Sort of like you flock shooting turkeys in the fall to feed yours.
that's not why you told him to keep em all. You just don't like other fish that eat the almighty trout. Which is fine if you don't like them, but a lot of people prefer catching stripers over trout which I am one of them. If he wants to feed his family with the fish that is awesome and I actually plan to keep the next eating sized rockfish I catch because I hear it tastes good. But I don't want them all gone because of some speckled fish that are stocked by the tens of thousands.

#3736107 - 08/17/14 07:59 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: catman529]
AllOutdoors
10 Point

content Online
I don't trout fish and like the fight of a rockfish. With that being said. I love to fish for smallmouth. It stinks to dress a 30lb rockfish to find a smallie in its belly. I have had
them knock 2lb smallies off my hook. Even chase them up in inches of water by my feet while wading to eat them. Just saying. They do fight hard and are fun to catch but they eat most anything that will fit in there mouth!

#3736171 - 08/17/14 09:30 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Buzzard Breath]
THEdonkey0515
8 Point

Loc: cumberland

Awesome fish!
#3736193 - 08/17/14 10:12 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: AllOutdoors]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: AllOutdoors
I don't trout fish and like the fight of a rockfish. With that being said. I love to fish for smallmouth. It stinks to dress a 30lb rockfish to find a smallie in its belly. I have had
them knock 2lb smallies off my hook. Even chase them up in inches of water by my feet while wading to eat them. Just saying. They do fight hard and are fun to catch but they eat most anything that will fit in there mouth!
thin em out but don't kill em off... I can see why they like smallmouth, they taste pretty good too \:D

#3736232 - 08/18/14 12:09 AM Re: two trout eaters [Re: catman529]
MidTennFisher
4 Point

Rockfish eat whatever they want. They're like the Great White Shark of Tennessee rivers. Since you guys seem to want them all killed off, and I realllllyyy want to land one in my kayak, maybe we can work out a deal huh?

Help me out with some location info and I promise if and when I land one, it hits the hot coconut oil really soon after.

#3736239 - 08/18/14 03:38 AM Re: two trout eaters [Re: catman529]
Setterman
8 Point

Nope. The guy looks hungry and could probably use the meat to feed his family. Sort of like you flock shooting turkeys in the fall to feed yours.
that's not why you told him to keep em all. You just don't like other fish that eat the almighty trout. Which is fine if you don't like them, but a lot of people prefer catching stripers over trout which I am one of them. If he wants to feed his family with the fish that is awesome and I actually plan to keep the next eating sized rockfish I catch because I hear it tastes good. But I don't want them all gone because of some speckled fish that are stocked by the tens of thousands.

I absolutely love catching stripers and think they're probably the best freshwater game fish we have in this state. However, they have no place in a trout river which is managed to be a quality fishery with slot limits and special regs, it completely defeats the purpose.

I would never kill one in the reservoirs or below the warm water dams, but will gladly kill every one I can get my hands on in the Clinch below Norris. I have killed an absolute truck load of them this year and will continue to kill all I legally can until I don't see another one in that river.

They have a niche and places where they should be and they have places where they should be eradicated

#3736244 - 08/18/14 04:40 AM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Setterman]
bigluresonly
6 Point

Recently I caught/ate a 44" rockfish with no trout in its stomach. The next day, same area, I caught/ate a 25" brown trout that had trout in its stomach.

In order to save the trout you must kill the trout.

#3736385 - 08/18/14 08:54 AM Re: two trout eaters [Re: bigluresonly]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: bigluresonly
Recently I caught/ate a 44" rockfish with no trout in its stomach. The next day, same area, I caught/ate a 25" brown trout that had trout in its stomach.

Sadly I think you believe this.

Having large brown trout are part of a healthy well managed fishery. Them feeding on trout is part of it, not to mention large brown trout feed on a wide variety of forage, not just trout. The same cannot be said of the stripers as there is no other fish for them to eat

#3736409 - 08/18/14 09:16 AM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Setterman]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: Setterman

Having large brown trout are part of a healthy well managed fishery. Them feeding on trout is part of it, not to mention large brown trout feed on a wide variety of forage, not just trout. The same cannot be said of the stripers as there is no other fish for them to eat
no other fish? I always see them busting HUGE schools of giant gizzard shad. I know they will also eat trout and smallmouth but where I have seen the rockfish they are eating nothing but baitfish.

#3736414 - 08/18/14 09:18 AM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Setterman]
Cottontop
6 Point

Loc: Flat Rock, Alabama

content Online
When I was a kid it was no problem to catch sauger regularly below Nickajack Dam. Then sometime around the mid to late seventies along come the rockfish and away went the sauger not to mention the thousands of skip jack, threadfin and gizzard shad. All of which I have found in the gut of dead rockfish.
#3736416 - 08/18/14 09:20 AM Re: two trout eaters [Re: catman529]
AllOutdoors
10 Point

content Online
thin em out but don't kill em off... I can see why they like smallmouth, they taste pretty good too \:D

Crappie taste pretty good too. And I can keep 30 per day. The smallmouth fight much harder and like to jump making them fun to catch. Its easy for me to decide which fish to catch and grease and which fish to catch and release.

#3736473 - 08/18/14 10:39 AM Re: two trout eaters [Re: catman529]
Setterman
8 Point

no other fish? I always see them busting HUGE schools of giant gizzard shad. I know they will also eat trout and smallmouth but where I have seen the rockfish they are eating nothing but baitfish.

Come on catman, keep up \:D

I'm specifically talking about the Clinch below Norris. There is nothing but trout in that stretch of river.

The stripers that live in other places are fine with me as they have a wide array of fish to feed on

#3736478 - 08/18/14 10:44 AM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Setterman]
carsonmac
Button

Loc: Knoxville,TN

Setterman-

I PM'ed you a couple weeks ago, let me know if you didn't get it, thanks!

Carson

#3736483 - 08/18/14 10:50 AM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Buzzard Breath]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

good ones

#3736494 - 08/18/14 11:05 AM Re: two trout eaters [Re: easy45]
stilllookin
4 Point

Loc: maynardville tn usa

I dont belive these fish are intentionally stocked in this are . Theres a huge striper fishery below melton hill and I assume they come through the lock at melton hill dam. Plus ive heard they releaae their brood fish from eagle bend hatchery which I would think would be a small number. Also if you use lures resembling trout and carch big trout that tells me well you get the picture.
#3736559 - 08/18/14 12:36 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: stilllookin]
snaildarter
4 Point

I love to see people fight over which non-native is best......

There used to lots of bait fish up there from just below the weir all the way into town.

I may have to go back up there and catch a few rocks though.

#3736591 - 08/18/14 01:29 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: scn]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

Originally Posted By: scn

x2

Dave Bishop is spinning in his grave!

#3736631 - 08/18/14 02:18 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: stilllookin]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: stilllookin
I dont belive these fish are intentionally stocked in this are . Theres a huge striper fishery below melton hill and I assume they come through the lock at melton hill dam. Plus ive heard they releaae their brood fish from eagle bend hatchery which I would think would be a small number. Also if you use lures resembling trout and carch big trout that tells me well you get the picture.

They're are a series of photos from them throwing brood fish in at the Eagle Bend Hatchery just below 61 Bridge. Also, it's an easy run up for them from Melton Hill into the river. I don't really buy into the coming through the lock theory, sure a couple could but the size and numbers certainly support the Eagle Bend source.

#3736691 - 08/18/14 03:06 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Setterman]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

confused Online

Crappie taste pretty good too. And I can keep 30 per day. The smallmouth fight much harder and like to jump making them fun to catch. Its easy for me to decide which fish to catch and grease and which fish to catch and release.
I like smallmouth way better than crappie

Come on catman, keep up \:D

I'm specifically talking about the Clinch below Norris. There is nothing but trout in that stretch of river.

The stripers that live in other places are fine with me as they have a wide array of fish to feed on
I figured you were talking about a specific area. Around here the rockfish have plenty of forage other than trout

#3736728 - 08/18/14 03:57 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Setterman]
bigluresonly
6 Point

I do not believe that. It was posted to sound as ridiculous as wanting all Stripes dead because they eat the precious trout. Reminds me of people I have talked to that want all Muskie gone cuz they eat their durn bass.

#3736746 - 08/18/14 04:14 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: bigluresonly]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

confused Online

I do not believe that. It was posted to sound as ridiculous as wanting all Stripes dead because they eat the precious trout. Reminds me of people I have talked to that want all Muskie gone cuz they eat their durn bass.
bass? There are so many bass I could not complain about musky, I would love to catch a musky some day. Dale Hollow is a well known trophy smallmouth fishery and also has some big musky. Some people care too much about only one type of fish.

#3736788 - 08/18/14 04:56 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: bigluresonly]
Setterman
8 Point

It really doesn't surprise me you don't believe that. Since you're all knowing please educate those of us who are stupid where massive numbers of 40+ stripers came from, and why there are pictures of them being released at Eagle Bend?

I don't want all stripers dead, and don't put words in my mouth. You disparage the trout, yet are clueless that they bring in far more revenue for TWRA than stripers.

I do want and am actively wanting them eradicated from the Clinch. Be thankful I like many at least eat them, others just slice them open and set them free. I don't believe in that, and find it disgraceful.

You're one angry little man it seems.

#3736881 - 08/18/14 06:36 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Setterman]
bigluresonly
6 Point

It really doesn't surprise me you don't believe that. Since you're all knowing please educate those of us who are stupid where massive numbers of 40+ stripers came from, and why there are pictures of them being released at Eagle Bend?

I don't want all stripers dead, and don't put words in my mouth. You disparage the trout, yet are clueless that they bring in far more revenue for TWRA than stripers.

I do want and am actively wanting them eradicated from the Clinch. Be thankful I like many at least eat them, others just slice them open and set them free. I don't believe in that, and find it disgraceful.

I never said I was all knowing and never said anything about where they came from on the Clinch. I don't really care or know where they came from.

When I talk about you wanting all stripes dead, I'm talking about in the Clinch- that's where this thread is about, try and keep up.

I am aware that trout brings in more money than stripers, definitely not clueless about that. I do disparage the trout, they are there to feed the Stripers, sorry if that hurts your feelings dude. If you know of people slicing Stripers open and letting them go to die I would hope you would call your local TWRA officer.

I am not an angry man nor am I little, just tired of the same old trout hugger arguments. Big fish eat little fish, nothing you do will change that.

#3736897 - 08/18/14 06:49 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: bigluresonly]
Setterman
8 Point

I never said I was all knowing and never said anything about where they came from on the Clinch. I don't really care or know where they came from.

When I talk about you wanting all stripes dead, I'm talking about in the Clinch- that's where this thread is about, try and keep up.

I am aware that trout brings in more money than stripers, definitely not clueless about that. I do disparage the trout, they are there to feed the Stripers, sorry if that hurts your feelings dude. If you know of people slicing Stripers open and letting them go to die I would hope you would call your local TWRA officer.

I am not an angry man nor am I little, just tired of the same old trout hugger arguments. Big fish eat little fish, nothing you do will change that.

I've informed the local TWRA folks, I despise poachers.
I do enjoy trout fishing, but I'm not a total trout hugger. I actually prefer river smallies over trout.
I also love stripers, just not in the Clinch.

If there are no big stripers left, then they can't eat little trout. We've reduced the numbers on the Clinch to a pretty tolerable level for the moment. I can handle a few, but when there's hundreds per mile that's a little much. To be honest if they stay below 61 bridge then fine, it's when they move above I break out the filet knife.

#3736905 - 08/18/14 06:57 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Setterman]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

Stripers: NON-native
Brown trout:NON-native
Rainbows:NON-native

One non-native feeding another non native seems about right. Unless it's native brook trout, then this argument is like a competition to see who has the ugliest wife..............

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#3737149 - 08/19/14 10:31 AM Re: two trout eaters [Re: rukiddin?]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: rukiddin?
Stripers: NON-native
Brown trout:NON-native
Rainbows:NON-native

One non-native feeding another non native seems about right. Unless it's native brook trout, then this argument is like a competition to see who has the ugliest wife..............

Alright, so let's take your approach.

Stop stocking trout in the Clinch, what's going to live in 48 degree water?
Eliminate the stripers and the trout thrive, eliminate the trout and the stripers have no food.

Seems fairly logical to me that in a river like the Clinch which can only really support trout as a stand alone species, that it is a best practice to manage the resource for them, which doesn't include a large population of predatory fish like stripers who are ninjas at feeding on other fish.

Trust me. I wish the dam was never built and the Clinch was a smallmouth river full of native fish, but tva ensured that's history. So rather than disparage a non native species that excels in that environment, why not manage them to the fullest extent and provide a worthwhile opportunity to anglers?

It seems you've got it figured out, so provide us with your solution?

#3737285 - 08/19/14 12:33 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

Dad said they didn't really get into them big this year. They went several trips and didn't catch a single one. Then one day out of the blue, they got into them and the smallest one was 15 or so pounds. He said they caught and released about 20 something. Then the next trip, he said they caught just as many, except none of them were over 15 lbs. And the most recent trip they made, they just caught two, and he said neither was over 5. lol.

Here's a couple he doubled up on. Was holding two rods and hooked one on each at the same exact time. Now if you have ever caught one of these fish before...you know how big of a pickle he was in. Even the little ones will pull like a diesel tractor.

#3738167 - 08/20/14 11:25 AM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Crow Terminator]
mathews338
12 Point

Loc: jackson co.

nice fish!
#3738304 - 08/20/14 02:10 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: mathews338]
Big John in TN
Button

Man, that's one big hybrid!
#3738305 - 08/20/14 02:13 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Big John in TN]
Dbllunger
12 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Big John in TN

LOL....being your first post and all, I am going to assume that was a joke. Anyway, welcome to the forum.

#3738579 - 08/20/14 05:26 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Dbllunger]
TNLynn
8 Point

Loc: baxter TN

Originally Posted By: Dbllunger

LOL....being your first post and all, I am going to assume that was a joke. Anyway, welcome to the forum.

I didn't think stripers had broken lines!

#3738587 - 08/20/14 05:29 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: TNLynn]
Mudbone
10 Point

Loc: Old hickory Tn

Originally Posted By: TNLynn

plenty do.

#3740129 - 08/21/14 01:42 PM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Mudbone]
Dbllunger
12 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Mudbone

plenty do.

Yes, very common

#3740939 - 08/22/14 09:45 AM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Dbllunger]
Big John in TN
Button

plenty do.

Yes, very common

Did not know that, learn something new everday!

#3740952 - 08/22/14 10:02 AM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Big John in TN]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

confused Online

plenty do.

Yes, very common

Did not know that, learn something new everday!
so do I, and welcome to Tndeer.

#3741754 - 08/23/14 07:16 AM Re: two trout eaters [Re: Buzzard Breath]
7mm08
12 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

X2 !!!!!!

I'll pay for your gas and plugs!!!! Kill them all!!

Page all of 5 12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PGIC, jmccormick24, emtp, Hozzie, crushing
13529 Registered Users
Who's Online
67 registered (RKenney, gobblegrunt, darn2ten, BamaProud, Fleet Fox, gallatin343, 6 invisible) and 153 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13529 Members
42 Forums
99053 Topics
1164569 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.056 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.