Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3724807 - 08/03/14 08:53 PM Least favorite part of shooting.
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

I practice almost daily for a while and am getting better and tighter groups. Then I get a bad day or two and my groups blow up by a few inches. Best I can do I guess is keep shooting. Sometimes I can hold the pin very steady with a lot of confidence. Sometimes I have trouble holding it and lose most of my confidence and my groups are bad. The other day it was definitely caffeine but the past 2 times it wasn't. Guess I will see how the groups look tomorrow. I'm not an archer by any means, I'm a bow hunter who tries to shoot good enough to kill. I don't shoot year round like some of you do and I don't do anything fancy.

One thing I've been pondering, should I get a stabilizer?

#3724857 - 08/03/14 09:31 PM Re: Least favorite part of shooting. [Re: catman529]
cozy23
6 Point

Loc: Wilson Co.

I feel ya. I have been shooting every day here lately. It seems like I'm perfectly sighted in one day, then it's like I need to move my sight and pins all over again. I think it's because I'm shooting a new (to me) bow and have been playing around with grip and form issues.

I always shoot groups of 3 and it never fails that if I shoot the first 2 dead on, the 3rd will be way off. I have my arrows numbered and shoot them in no particular order so it's not just a "flyer". I can hold dead still for some shots, then I can't on others. I had one the other day where I just could not hold still. I released and it flew right over my target and into the fence.

#3724861 - 08/03/14 09:33 PM Re: Least favorite part of shooting. [Re: catman529]
remke
12 Point

Loc: A Pleasant View

Yes. Get one.
I use to laugh at the guys with a 3 foot stableizer on the front of their bow.
I put one on my rig, and right away it stopped moving by 95%.
I have a stableizer that is longer than my arrows. Put a little weight out their to see if it helps your group.

#3724864 - 08/03/14 09:36 PM Re: Least favorite part of shooting. [Re: remke]
remke
12 Point

Loc: A Pleasant View

Plus I use to shoot until my quiver was empty. Just shoot 3 arrows. Then go pull. You don't need to wear yourself out with shooting a lot in a short period of time.
I have only had 1 time I had to fling more than 2 arrows at 1 deer.
BTW. He still got away.

#3724878 - 08/03/14 09:54 PM Re: Least favorite part of shooting. [Re: remke]
TheAirMan
16 Point

Loc: Moss, Tennessee

If I know I am having an off day, meaning I know I consistently shoot a lot better than I am that day and having no reason to suspect something is wrong with my equipment, I hang it up for the day. All continuing to shoot will do is effect my confidence. Way more times than not I will go out the next day and everything will be back to normal.

#3724905 - 08/03/14 10:23 PM Re: Least favorite part of shooting. [Re: TheAirMan]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

Over shooting is a road that leads to a lot of bad habits. Trust me...I have just took a detour from the best 3D season of my life onto this path and it has cost me a lot in the last few weeks.

What you run into is when you put a time limit on yourself (such as saying, oh crap...opening day is just X days away, I gotta get ready...or oh crap, that big tournament is next weekend...I gotta get out there and tighten up my shooting) is that you end up putting a lot of unneeded pressure on yourself. Instead of just calling it a day or taking those days off like AirMan said...you get it in your mind that you are coming down to the wire and MUST shoot, no matter what. And you'll over shoot.

Then you'll be faced with things like: target panic, or flinching really bad on the shots, or all kind of other little fun things that take a long time to work out.

Trust me...I just had 3 of the biggest tournaments of the year, one weekend after the other. And I probably shot more arrows in these 3 weeks than I have all yr long combined...because I wanted to win a state championship...and I wanted to win this big King of String money shoot that I was in...and I wanted to win out of my class in ASA by podium finishing at the ASA Classic. And I blew every stinking one of them with the lowest scores that I've shot all yr long. Two of them was partially equipment failure...found out my sight block was messed up and moving from shot to shot. BUT this last one, I had a brand new sight and it was simply just me...I was flinching so bad on shots that on one target, my bow AND release nearly beat the arrow to the target.

#3724923 - 08/03/14 11:29 PM Re: Least favorite part of shooting. [Re: Crow Terminator]
PillsburyDoughboy
4 Point

Loc: Tn

Check out some you tube vids on blind bail practicing for those days your shooting bad.

On days your shooting bad It's probably a result of target panic or inconsistent form or a combination of both.

It's helped me tons with the target panic. Let's me get In a solid afternoon of practicing on building my fundamentals. Getting a consistent anchor point.

And the next day when I get back out I am usually shocked at how much better I have gotten.

#3725015 - 08/04/14 07:16 AM Re: Least favorite part of shooting. [Re: PillsburyDoughboy]
UTGrad
16 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

Take a break for a day or two.

Get a stabilizer

#3725018 - 08/04/14 07:17 AM Re: Least favorite part of shooting. [Re: UTGrad]
UTGrad
16 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

Actually I have a Sims S Coil I'll give you...PM me.
#3725315 - 08/04/14 12:31 PM Re: Least favorite part of shooting. [Re: UTGrad]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Thanks all for the advice I think I will take a couple days break

Funny some of my better shooting comes after a while of not shooting.

Shot another dozen today and groups are still like a blue heron took a crap on the target. Still 90% kill zone shots but not the kind of shooting I want to be doing at 20 yards on a live deer

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
7 registered (RAFI, Haf2Hunt, gil1, SEC, lonewolf1330, gun nut) and 58 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.