Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3721776 - Yesterday at 09:03 PM Scent control
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

This is a pretty neat article from Field and Stream online if I can get it to link:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/2...s-vs-a-drug-dog

Click on the tests 1-4 to get to all of the contents.

#3721831 - Yesterday at 10:10 PM Re: Scent control [Re: scn]
knightrider
12 Point

Loc: tn

it told me what I already knew, buying that crap is a waste of money and time and to be a good hunter you need to learn how and when to hunt the wind. that's the only way you will fool a deers nose is to be upwind

Edited by knightrider (Yesterday at 10:10 PM)

#3721835 - Yesterday at 10:18 PM Re: Scent control [Re: knightrider]
Nealmeally
8 Point

Loc: TN

I live by the clean body and clean clothes before every hunt and keep em stored in air tight bags... Really before I step in any of my deer woods, even scouting or checking cameras. Clean, clean, clean goes a long way!!

Of course the wind also, not just in the stand... On the way in and on the way out watch the wind! The hunt ain't over when I get out of the tree. I wanna get back to the truck without being winded also. No matter when you get winded, it's always a strike against you when they smell you..

I quit buying scent control products a couple years ago.. As far as soaps and shampoos go, they make plenty that are unscented for a lot less money..

#3721837 - Yesterday at 10:19 PM Re: Scent control [Re: knightrider]
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

I truly believe in scent control. I do think there are some gimmicks out there tho.. I have the best results practicing good scent control, and picking the best stand for the day/ time of yr... I am cautious of winds, but do not let it be the deciding factor...
I would also get a ozone machine if they weren't so expensive, also the health risks are of concern...

#3721845 - Yesterday at 10:37 PM Re: Scent control [Re: scn]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

shocked Online
Vindication for those of us who knew ozone wasn't a gimmick!

Better order your ScentPURGE50 now before they sell out, boys.

Whitetail'r ScentPURGE 50

I use this machine.

A2Z Ozone Aqua 6 Multi Purpose Ozone Generator

#3721846 - Yesterday at 10:37 PM Re: Scent control [Re: BHC]
Methane
4 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

I'm a believer in the scent killer sprays. Not the scented types, just the Unscented. I've used it for more than hunting, from my son's nasty smelling baseball and football shoes to my dog's bed and I am convinced that the stuff kills the odor. I spray it on everything that goes into the woods with me.
#3721865 - Yesterday at 11:18 PM Re: Scent control [Re: Methane]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
Very interesting, I am surprised that cover scent works better than scent killers.

Vermin, I know the ozone works, but the machines are expensive and they say it is bad to continuously breathe in O3.

#3721875 - Yesterday at 11:55 PM Re: Scent control [Re: scn]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

shocked Online
cat, one of the ozone generators they used to temporarily fool the dog only costs $45. My ozone generator cost $65. These less expensive machines are not used in the field like you would use an expensive Ozonics unit. Ozone generators like the one I have and the Scent Purge 50 are used to deodorize your hunting clothes and gear before you hunt. I also use mine to occasionally deodorize my vehicle and my house. In those applications your aren't sitting right next to the machine potentially inhaling ozone.

Point being, for around $50 you can get some of the benefits of ozone scent control and periodically deodorize your truck as well.

What they describe in Test No. 3 is how I use my ozone generator.

Test No. 3
Setup Before the test, my dad took a no-scent shower and placed a ScentPurge 50, an ozone-generating unit designed to infuse clothing with ozone (whitetailr.com), into a plastic tub that held his hat, boots, and two layers of camo clothing for 30 minutes. Dad dressed in these treated clothes just before entering the box.

Result Chance needed 42 seconds to find my dad.

Analysis The dog ran the entire course twice before marking Dad’s location. Though he did a slight head bob toward the correct box on the first lap, it was clear that the smell of ozone was confusing Chance. This was one of the most dramatic delays of Chance’s success in all the years we’ve conducted these tests.

Test No. 4
Setup Borowiak took a no-scent shower and dressed in hunting clothes that he’d washed in no-scent soap. He carried an Ozonics unit ­(ozonics​­hunting.​com) meant for mounting near a treestand or in a blind, ran it for a minute inside the box before the test began, and left it on throughout.

Result It took Chance 50 seconds to find Borowiak.

Analysis

Even the handler was stunned at how long it took Chance to find Bob. Again, the dog ran two full laps before choosing the right box, and his first bark was tentative—like a guess. This was the most shocking result in four years of testing. We’d put Borowiak’s other no-scent regimens under Chance’s scrutiny before, and the dog had found Bob almost immediately. Yet the addition of ozone confused that nose for nearly one minute, which amazed everyone.

Nothing—not even ozone—will completely cover human odor. But if you can muddy the olfactory water for 50 seconds, that’s plenty of time for you to get a shot at a monster buck.

#3721878 - 3 minutes 28 seconds ago Re: Scent control [Re: Vermin93]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
fair point, I had not previously heard of the units to deodorize your gear. At 40 bucks it's not top of my list (bow strings, arrows and a new camera are) but it's something to consider.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
17 registered (TNtrapper, redblood, catman529, Vermin93, Deadeye14, Hatchee, 2 invisible) and 66 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89293 Topics
1044328 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.274 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.