#3715616 - Yesterday at 08:45 AM Re: Cheating? [Re: BSK]
Deer Assassin
dammit
Non-Typical

Loc: Kingston Springs

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: WestTn Huntin'man
You could also have Deer season period.

And how many years have I been advocating this? Most (especially bow hunters) howl in indignation when I suggest it, but I'm a firm believer that we need just "Deer Season," not bow, MZ and gun seasons. Let the hunters decide what weapon they want to use. That would end all the endless bickering about weapon capability.

amen

Spending money I dont have

on things I dont need

to impress people I dont know

#3715771 - Yesterday at 11:36 AM Re: Cheating? [Re: Deer Assassin]
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

There's no debating that any modern bow, even crossbow is much less efficient than a gun or modern MZ. If that weren't the case all land managers would only archery hunt to lower the amount of pressure on their deer dramatically... But it's tough to take a bow when gun season is open.. At least for me because if I see a deer with in 250 yrds, chances are he's goin down if I want him to atleast a 90% chance and I don't shoot all that much.. However with the fastest hardest hitting bow on the market and the best archer pulling the string, at fifty yards his chances are much lower! And most archers aren't won't even take that shot because they consider it unethical... It's apples and oranges... If you were all hunting with a handgun there might be a case..

#3715858 - Yesterday at 12:52 PM Re: Cheating? [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
oldmanelrod
6 Point

Loc: TN/AL state line

Originally Posted By: WestTn Huntin'man
You could also have Deer season period. Any weapon capable of making a ETHICAL kill anytime during the legal season. Guess that would be too easy.

Don't know how safe it would be to be in the woods when there were still lots of leafs in the trees and people were rifle hunting. Even on private property you can never tell who or what you might not see because of the foliage.

#3715896 - Yesterday at 01:31 PM Re: Cheating? [Re: BHC]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: BHC
There's no debating that any modern bow, even crossbow is much less efficient than a gun or modern MZ.

While there is no debating that, there should also be no debating that an accomplished deer hunter with a modern bow is typically killing more deer annually than the average "gun-only" deer hunter.

An accomplished hunter often simply adjusts his hunting tactics to fit the weapon in hand, often having little handicap when hunting with a bow/crossbow rather than a gun. Most avid bowhunters also happen to be among that group of more accomplished hunters, if for no other reason than they have spent more time in the woods (typically hunting with whatever is the most effective weapon).

One reason some archery enthusiasts, who are also accomplished deer hunters, will CHOOSE to bowhunt even during gun seasons, it's because they understand it's really not that big a handicap for them. Of course, there are a few archery enthusiasts who are simply that, archery enthusiasts, who also do a little hunting.

I'd say the vast majority of bowhunters are simply deer hunting because deer season is open, little to do with any special weapon "enthusiasm", as their true enthusiasm is more about deer hunting than the weapon in hand. They're bowhunting only because the season is archery only. When muzzleloader season begins, they'll be carrying a muzzleloader, and when modern centerfire begins, they'll switch to a more modern rifle ---- this defines the majority of "avid" deer hunters who spend lots of time pursuing their passion of deer hunting.

Personally, as an avid deer hunter, I benefit more from the "archery, muzzleloader, gun" season segments the way they are currently. I'm totally fine with those segments remaining "as is", but I would also be fine if we simply went to a "deer season" as I believe it could be even more beneficial to a broader group of hunters. And if Bowriter is happy with my paragraphs, we can all join hands and sing Kubaya.

#3716363 - Today at 10:25 AM Re: Cheating? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

First again I'm happy the way it is. I just feel it is a selfish argument, there are 2 months of gun hunting in Tn. And barely over 1 month of bow season.
But realise you are comparing the avid archer to avg gunner... That's not fair avid to avid.. There at more avid gun hunters in Tn than archers.. They are more effective than the archers. And they kill more deer. Just ask any accomplished archer.
Hunters that choose to archery hunt during gun season, do so to challenge themselves. Because it is more difficult to kill any deer with a bow. The fact that they adjust there methods is a supporting argent. They do because they have to.
If gun season were to open sept 27th this yr, hundreds more deer would be killed. The best strategy would be to glass as many big fields as possible right before dark, spot a nice summer pattern buck, and smoke him at 300 yrds...

I know many avid/accomplished hunters, some hunt all over the country. Most all of them bowhunt. None bowhunt during gun season in Tn. This trend holds true all over the state. Sure there are a few that do, but not many...

What would something like this do to the sport of archery? What happens if other states follow suit? A lost tradition? Considered an unethical practice?
Hunters of all types need to stick together, and play fair, to keep as strong a front as we can...

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
two1980, Darrenduhl, 2winsrus, jacmac, Smokeymtnbow
13101 Registered Users
Who's Online
97 registered (tndeerman, SDS, striker12, Poleaxe, Mudbone, RidgeRunner13, 12 invisible) and 109 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13101 Members
42 Forums
88811 Topics
1039002 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.205 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.