Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3708148 - Yesterday at 09:29 AM question .....
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

With Tennessee now allowing people to have loaded guns in their vehicles, what will that do in terms of hunters sitting on fields, or riding roads with a loaded gun? Thanks.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/25977251/new...arms-in-vehicle

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3708390 - Yesterday at 07:27 PM Re: question ..... [Re: Bottom Hunter]
Timber Ghost
8 Point

Loc: Tn. Blount( Seymour)

content Online
I see no conflicts, law does not allow you to hunt or shoot from your vehicle.

#3708397 - Yesterday at 07:35 PM Re: question ..... [Re: Timber Ghost]
scn Moderator
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Timber Ghost
I see no conflicts, law does not allow you to hunt or shoot from your vehicle.

Partially incorrect.

The guns in vehicles statute does not allow the hunting or shooting from a vehicle.

However, our Manner and Means of hunting was recently changed to give regular vehicles the same status as OHVs. As long as the vehicle is stationary on private land where the hunter has permission, the vehicle may be used as a "blind" and hunted from. That includes shooting from a stationary vehicle.

Edited by scn (Yesterday at 07:55 PM)

#3708408 - Yesterday at 07:55 PM Re: question ..... [Re: Bottom Hunter]
scn Moderator
14 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter
With Tennessee now allowing people to have loaded guns in their vehicles, what will that do in terms of hunters sitting on fields, or riding roads with a loaded gun? Thanks.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/25977251/new...arms-in-vehicle

The new statute has nothing to do about hunting. It merely allows firearms to be carried inside vehicles.

Our Manner and Means of hunting were modified recently to give all vehicles the same status that OHVs have had for several years. Hunters can now hunt from a stationary vehicle on private land. Nothing is changed about shooting from or across public roads.

#3708601 - Today at 06:52 AM Re: question ..... [Re: scn]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

Many years ago, I was sitting on a gravel road, waiting for a rainstorm to pass before heading in to my deer stand. Right or wrong,maybe to save a few seconds while it was raining, I loaded my gun while still in the truck. A few minutes later, a game warden drove up, stopped, got out and approached my vehicle. he asked to see my license and asked if my gun was loaded, I said that it was. He told me to unload it and gave me a verbal warning.....

Now that it is LEGAL to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in your vehicle at all times, will it be legal to do what I did....And if you stop a vehicle that you suspect is spotlighting and he has a loaded gun in the vehicle, will that matter now? thanks

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3708674 - Today at 09:10 AM Re: question ..... [Re: Bottom Hunter]
scn Moderator
14 Point

content Online
Yes, it will be legal, both because of the new statute an our change in the Proclamation on Manner and Means.

The statute on spotlighting does not require a loaded gun to be present before it it a violation, so there is no effect on the spotlighting statute.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Cuttin Caller, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, BigGameGuy, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, scn 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
piglet84, Bowfire985, TieCampBuckSlayer, ChuckNorris, Breesor1
13085 Registered Users
Who's Online
123 registered (Rebel, SEC, krazykarl_13, birddog, Roost 1, pse2, 15 invisible) and 170 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13085 Members
42 Forums
88240 Topics
1033675 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.245 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.