Tndeer Logo

Page 10 of 26 « First<89101112>Last »
Topic Options
#3707779 - 07/11/14 05:33 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: UPSman]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: UPSman
That's a good looking pack. I haven't heard of them until now. Hopefully you will get to tote some meat and horns out of the Rockies with it.

Its a relatively new company and the packs are only available direct from the manufacture. In fact, if you didn't pre order, there are waits on the packs as they manufacture in batches. The 2014 Pre orders went out back in May, with the 2nd batch just shipped a couple of weeks ago. Next round is August, which may be the last batch to go out before hunting seasons start to open up. With the first shipment, a bunch of guys were able to test the packs out on spring bear hunts.
There was some buzz about them last year, but the 2014 model is getting raved about.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3711015 - 07/15/14 04:31 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: UPSman]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Latest weigh in. I shaved some more weight on the sleep system by going with a lighter air mattress (7.9 oz). There is still a bit of speculation and give or take on a couple of specific weights, especially with regards to food, but looks like I'll definitely come in with a pack weight of less than 40 lbs, which has been my goal all along.

Empty Pack: 82
Sleeping Bag: 51.2
Tarp Shelter: 29
Trekking Poles: 18.8
Water Filter: 3
Sleeping Pad: 7.9
2nd Merino shirt: 9
Down Jacket: 20.5
Food: 160oz
Firstaid kit: 10
Water: 70.4 (2 liters)
Bladder: 6 oz
Rain gear (top & bottom): 34.4
GPS w batteries: 5.4
headlamp w/ batteries: 3.2
Spare batteries: 6
dry sacks: 3
Pot/cup/spork: 6
Fuel: 8
Lighter: .4
*Kill Kit: 24 (game bags, knife, 550 cord)
socks 2
Toothbrush: 1.2
wipes/TP: 8
-----

Base Pack weight: 562.2/ 35.13 lbs (including 2 liters of water)

Clothes, boots and optics:

Merino Base layer pants: 9.1
Merino Base Layer shirt: 8
Outerwear Pants: 18.5
Gloves: 2.6
Merino Neck gaiter: .75
Merino hat: .75
Hat: .75
Optics + Harness: 35.2
Boots: 132
Socks: 4

210.9/ 13.8 lbs

Total load out: 48.3 + Bow (4.5 lbs)

#3711062 - 07/15/14 05:32 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Poser]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

Loose the toothbrush. You may be fooling yourself by saying you will use it now, but in reality you may brush your teeth once, at best, in a week. Loose the neck gaiter, you won't wear it in September. I used to always take one, but after half a dozen trips and never taking it out of the pack, I no longer bother.

ADD A GOOD CAMERA!!! Yes, I did shout that. Don't keep it in your pack. Make a pouch or buy one and keep it within reach. Take hundreds of pictures. If nothing else, it will slow you down. And, that's a good thing.

#3711524 - 07/16/14 07:41 AM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Buzzard Breath,

I see where you get your name from
I have always brushed my teeth on backpacking and backcountry trips and don't see why I wouldn't in this case. (I don't have a dental care plan and haven't been to the dentists in over 10 years, so I try to take care of my teeth).

On the neck gaiter, I was actually thinking that it may come in more handy for keeping the sun off the back of my neck. The treeline in the area we will be in is right around 12,000 feet, which is a lot of UV exposure. But, yeah, under normal temperature range for Sept, it doesn't seem to be a necessary piece of gear for insulation. Its just a thin piece of merino that weight less than an ounce. If I end up breaking 40 pounds with my pack weight, it will be on the list of weight savings, though I'd probably need to add in some sunscreen or a brimmed hat to protect my head and neck from UV. Hmm.

#3711596 - 07/16/14 08:37 AM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Poser]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

Originally Posted By: Poser
On the neck gaiter, I was actually thinking that it may come in more handy for keeping the sun off the back of my neck. The treeline in the area we will be in is right around 12,000 feet, which is a lot of UV exposure. But, yeah, under normal temperature range for Sept, it doesn't seem to be a necessary piece of gear for insulation. Its just a thin piece of merino that weight less than an ounce. If I end up breaking 40 pounds with my pack weight, it will be on the list of weight savings, though I'd probably need to add in some sunscreen or a brimmed hat to protect my head and neck from UV. Hmm.

I never thought of that. I come back from every one of these trips with my neck, face and hands sun burned. I tell myself that I need to pack sunscreen the next time, but never remember.

#3712128 - 07/16/14 07:34 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Buzzard Breath]
ghosthunter
10 Point

Loc: chattanooga

Great list!!! I'm definitely going to go over it more thoroughly. Thanks for posting. What water filter are you using that weighs only 3oz?

#3712131 - 07/16/14 07:45 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: ghosthunter]
ghosthunter
10 Point

Loc: chattanooga

What game bags are you using? And maybe I missed it but what stove?

#3712544 - 07/17/14 09:59 AM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: ghosthunter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: ghosthunter
Great list!!! I'm definitely going to go over it more thoroughly. Thanks for posting. What water filter are you using that weighs only 3oz?

I'm using this Sawyer system: http://www.campsaver.com/squeeze-water-filter

You have a couple of options with it.

There are 3 different sized bags that you can use to scoop water up and then drain through the filter into your bladder. If you look at the 2nd pic, you'll see the filter installed on one of the bags.

Your other option, is to install the filter on your bladder hose and use it as an inline filter. Under this scenario, your bladder would contain the dirty water and would be filtered on the way to your mouth. You could also fill up secondary bottles from your bladder system.

The filter will also fit the mouth of most retail water bottles.

I intend to use the filter and the smallest (.5L) bag, which is a 3oz combo. My partner is using the same filter as an inline setup, which is a little lighter. I don't like the idea of carrying dirty water in my bladder. I also intend to carry 2 bag/bladder style water bottles (32 oz wide mouth and a 16 oz). Those will be for extra water storage if we decide to camp in one spot for more than 1 night. That will also give me a bottle to mix drinks. I'm going to carry some "Energy & Focus" mix as well as some concentrated, dried greens. I eat a couple of bowls of greens daily and, given that my body is used to getting that much fiber, I don't want to cut that off suddenly, so I'll get my daily greens in liquid form. -good source of vitamins and minerals, ultra lightweight, too.

#3712563 - 07/17/14 10:11 AM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: ghosthunter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: ghosthunter
What game bags are you using? And maybe I missed it but what stove?

I use Alaska brand game bags. I've tried different ones and these are my favorites because of the amount of stretch: http://www.santanaoutdoors.com/alaska-game-bags/

For a stove, we're running a Jetboil, which will be a shared load: http://www.campsaver.com/flash-pcs-stove

Its not the lightest on the market, but the ease of use + the speed at which it boils water is a fair tradeoff. -being able to boil water in 90 seconds saves a considerable amount of fuel, so that saves weight of some, but not all, of the lighter systems. Its a tough choice and you have to consider how many times a day you will be boiling water. If there are 3 people sharing a stove and you are boiling water 9x a day (3x at breakfast, 3x at dinner) over the course of 7 days, then that is 63 boils total. If you're talking about a 90 second boil time vs. 3-4 minutes, then that fuel expenditure will add up considerably (not to mention time spent waiting to have coffee in the morning).

Here is a comparison chart that will make your head explode: http://zenstoves.net/StoveChoices.htm

#3712678 - 07/17/14 12:36 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Poser]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Here is my sleep system. I have a 1 oz sheet of Polycro for ground/moisture protection in my floorless shelter and then I'm running a newest generation of 3/4ths length Thermarest. These things have improved considerably. I have a first generation one that is MUCH heavier and less comfortable. This one weight 7.9 oz. I plan to lay my head on my pack and from the knee down will be directly on the polycro. I'm a side and stomach sleeper so this should work fine.

I really wish I could afford to upgrade my sleeping bag. While this thing was top of the line way back in 1999, its fairly heavy for its warmth ratio by today;'s standards. A lot of guys have gone to using "quilts" in the early season, which is essentially a modified sleeping bag with no head insulation or zipper. You just wrap up in it like a blanket. You can get those down to around a pound. I'm halfway tempted to break out my wife's sewing machine and cut and re stitch this bag back up as a quilt to shave some weight. My bag is weighing in at 51.2 (though, I recently washed it, so it may be a little lighter). You can run a quilt for ~20 oz, or a newest generation 30 degree bag for 26-30 oz. That's a big weight savings.

Page 10 of 26 « First<89101112>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
10 registered (reloadxx, Vermin93, ruger7mag, BigDaddyFreeze, bassybuck47, DIRTTRAX, 3 invisible) and 68 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95975 Topics
1123848 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.