Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3691109 - 06/14/14 08:48 AM Re: Non-Residents Screwed Over Again in New Mexico [Re: tennecedar]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

Originally Posted By: tennecedar

It leaves the lowly working man who once dreamed of a western elk or mountain goat having to save for another ten years to afford it. If the laws don't change between now and then that is.

I would love to moose and sheep hunt in the great USA, but the chances of me ever drawing a tag are slim to none. I do not have any points and with point creep it appears impossible to ever get the chance.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3691871 - 06/15/14 08:31 PM Re: Non-Residents Screwed Over Again in New Mexico [Re: AT Hiker]
megalomaniac
12 Point

Loc: Mississippi

Got my CO elk tag in the mail yesterday....

even CO is jacking up the prices... $600 just for the either sex elk tag this year \:\(

#3692006 - 06/16/14 07:23 AM Re: Non-Residents Screwed Over Again in New Mexico [Re: megalomaniac]
tickweed
12 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

Originally Posted By: megalomaniac
Got my CO elk tag in the mail yesterday....

even CO is jacking up the prices... $600 just for the either sex elk tag this year \:\(
what was an either sex elk last yr? Around $580.00?

Edited by tickweed (06/16/14 07:24 AM)

#3692063 - 06/16/14 09:19 AM Re: Non-Residents Screwed Over Again in New Mexico [Re: tickweed]
Grill-n-man
4 Point

Loc: rhea county tn

Yes i believe that residents should have a higher priority than non residents, after all it is their home. On the other hand, non residents should also have a decent chance of doing a once in lifetime thing without having to mortgage the house. There is more than likely a very simple solution to create a balance where all can be happy, but unfortunately with the commercialization of hunting as we know it today we will likely not see that. All it really boils down to is the most simple aspect of business, if you control the supply then you control the price. Now me I probably will not ever be able to afford one of these hunts but if I can one day it will not be at a place that doesn't want me there because I am believed to be lower than them. Instead I will pick a place that is just the opposite, after all I am more interested in the experience than the kill. And if you really want to change things like this then that would be another simple part of business, if you don't buy from those who control the supply they will eventually go broke. So keep your money at home and starve em cause I can garaantee residents do not put near the amount of money into the local economy as a nonresident does.
#3692558 - 06/16/14 08:16 PM Re: Non-Residents Screwed Over Again in New Mexico [Re: Grill-n-man]
ChippewaPartners
10 Point

Loc: Pamelot, my farm near Catoosa

I can live with most of the states but Wyoming still upsets me in keeping non-residents out of some premium mule deer units in the western end of the state where Federal public land, may i remind you, YOUR LAND and MINE, is near 100%.

I like to spend time in big country when I am hunting. I like being in big country but would rather hunt/camp than just camp.

Each to his own I guess. I am lucky to just have my health and friends and family to hunt with.

#3692781 - 06/17/14 07:39 AM Re: Non-Residents Screwed Over Again in New Mexico [Re: ChippewaPartners]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: ChippewaPartners
I can live with most of the states but Wyoming still upsets me in keeping non-residents out of some premium mule deer units in the western end of the state where Federal public land, may i remind you, YOUR LAND and MINE, is near 100%.

I like to spend time in big country when I am hunting. I like being in big country but would rather hunt/camp than just camp.

Each to his own I guess. I am lucky to just have my health and friends and family to hunt with.

Yeah, keeping NRs out of all those Wilderness Areas seems overkill to me. I spent some time in the Wind River Range back some years ago -would love to be able to hunt there.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3692828 - 06/17/14 09:08 AM Re: Non-Residents Screwed Over Again in New Mexico [Re: Poser]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

The WY NR law against Wilderness is pure BS. A hiker, fly fisherman, horseback rider, etc can go into those. You give a hunter a tag for that region and all of a sudden he needs a guide! Pure outfitter lobbying at its best, conservation is not based on that and it is a kick in the mouth to everyone.

So is landlocked public land IMO.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3692858 - 06/17/14 10:12 AM Re: Non-Residents Screwed Over Again in New Mexico [Re: AT Hiker]
tellico4x4
6 Point

Loc: Killen, AL

[quote=AT Hiker

I would love to moose and sheep hunt in the great USA, but the chances of me ever drawing a tag are slim to none. I do not have any points and with point creep it appears impossible to ever get the chance. [/quote]

DIY Shiras Moose is actually possible in Idaho.

#3692959 - 06/17/14 01:47 PM Re: Non-Residents Screwed Over Again in New Mexico [Re: tellico4x4]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: tellico4x4
[quote=AT Hiker

I would love to moose and sheep hunt in the great USA, but the chances of me ever drawing a tag are slim to none. I do not have any points and with point creep it appears impossible to ever get the chance.

DIY Shiras Moose is actually possible in Idaho. [/quote]

Even if you drew a sheep tag, could you afford it? Most of those are thousands of dollars just for tag (assuming you can even draw it). I think I read that it may not be possible to do a DIY NR sheep hunt for any cheaper than ~$8,500 or so. Guided hunters are probably going to start closer to 20k and go upwards of 50k.

Edited by Poser (06/17/14 01:52 PM)

#3692966 - 06/17/14 02:02 PM Re: Non-Residents Screwed Over Again in New Mexico [Re: AT Hiker]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: AT Hiker
The WY NR law against Wilderness is pure BS. A hiker, fly fisherman, horseback rider, etc can go into those. You give a hunter a tag for that region and all of a sudden he needs a guide! Pure outfitter lobbying at its best, conservation is not based on that and it is a kick in the mouth to everyone.

So is landlocked public land IMO.

Back in 2002, I went climbing in the Wind River Range. We hiked deep into the backcountry, set up camp in the meadows below Cirque of the Towers and spent 5 days climbing absolutely stunning alpine routes:

-didn't need no stinking guide, much a less a permit, either. We just drove 40 miles of forest service roads, parked at a trailhead and disappeared into the mountains.

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (Webfeet15, Rick Dillard, TiminTN, 1 invisible) and 72 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.008 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.