Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 7 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3692819 - 06/17/14 08:58 AM Re: Alternative Weapons for Big Game [Re: trealtree]
Rubberduck270
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co.

Originally Posted By: trealtree
Unfortunately or fortunately for some there is no evidence to support what you said. So that makes your opinion hold the same weight as the opinions of the people that want to use these weapons. The only difference is they have proved and made a case that they are effective in several states and the states agreed.

If it were super effective archery equipment never would have been invented (spears having been used before bows and arrows). Same goes with firearms. If there weren't improvements to be made no one would have bothered with it.

With that being said though, if someone wants to hunt with a spear/stick then go for it. We don't need ANOTHER season to worry with. Use your stick same as archery tackle. If you want to play with your stick during all of deer season then that's just your prerogative.

#3692822 - 06/17/14 09:02 AM Re: Alternative Weapons for Big Game [Re: BDS05]
Grill-n-man
4 Point

Loc: rhea county tn

Inefficient? Satisfy a blood lust? Seriously, might ought to pick up a history book and get educated on how man kind has survived since the good lord put us here. Ain't really nobody I know hunts because they got a blood lust. As far as the "black eye" you might ought to pay attention to what the anti groups say about our modern weapons and how they would like to see us use those primitive/inefficient weapons. Blood lust/inefficient/black eye WOW. I hope that was actually sarcasm
#3692823 - 06/17/14 09:02 AM Re: Alternative Weapons for Big Game [Re: Rubberduck270]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Rubberduck270
Unfortunately or fortunately for some there is no evidence to support what you said. So that makes your opinion hold the same weight as the opinions of the people that want to use these weapons. The only difference is they have proved and made a case that they are effective in several states and the states agreed.

If it were super effective archery equipment never would have been invented (spears having been used before bows and arrows). Same goes with firearms. If there weren't improvements to be made no one would have bothered with it.

With that being said though, if someone wants to hunt with a spear/stick then go for it. We don't need ANOTHER season to worry with. Use your stick same as archery tackle. If you want to play with your stick during all of deer season then that's just your prerogative.

If that's the case then why would they allow longbows.. Why not only allow the latest ans greatest firearms? I am not talking about seasons yet. Obviously there would not be days taken away from other seasons..

#3692824 - 06/17/14 09:02 AM Re: Alternative Weapons for Big Game [Re: BDS05]
ratsnakeboogy
10 Point

Loc: Andersonville, TN

With the right set-up and thrower the atlatle makes a longbow look sick ballistically speaking. The shaft is usually over 3 feet long and total grain weight about 3-4 times a standard arrow. Inside 50 yards with someone who is skilled at it, it is a sight to behold.
#3692827 - 06/17/14 09:06 AM Re: Alternative Weapons for Big Game [Re: Rubberduck270]
Plateau Hunter
8 Point

Loc: Cannon County, TN

Can I use my carbon fiber atlatl with a titanium launch tip throwing a carbon fiber bolt tipped with a mechanical broad head?? Huh Huh? Problem is a lot of hunters(esp turkey hunters :D) think it's their way or the highway. If anyone wants to use an atlatl be it carbon fiber or bowdock-more power to them. Course the QDMers would require a 120"er or better. Lol

#3692834 - 06/17/14 09:17 AM Re: Alternative Weapons for Big Game [Re: Plateau Hunter]
Rubberduck270
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co.

If that's the case then why would they allow longbows.. Why not only allow the latest ans greatest firearms? I am not talking about seasons yet. Obviously there would not be days taken away from other seasons..

If a hunter wants to use a spear during archery season that's fine. I'll vote for his right to do so. "I am not talking about seasons YET", this is where I (just a personal opinion though) draw the line at hunting with a stick/alternative weapon. When you start trying to introduce another season for stick only hunts you'll lose my support. To each his own though.

#3692839 - 06/17/14 09:28 AM Re: Alternative Weapons for Big Game [Re: Rubberduck270]
Grill-n-man
4 Point

Loc: rhea county tn

Forgot something. Anybody know the number to all the tribes down in the jungles of South America and over in Africa cause somebody forgot to tell those tribes they should be extinct according to this.
#3692868 - 06/17/14 10:33 AM Re: Alternative Weapons for Big Game [Re: Grill-n-man]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

Loc: Milan, TN

So when the seasonal "what is the minimum caliber" question comes up or the "is a .223 enough for deer" question arises, all of y'all that say anything less than a .243 is not enough will agree with the notion that these types of primitive weapons are no bueno? I didn't think so. I've seen people (not just here) that freak-out when somebody suggests hunting with a 5.56 AR-15. What is the difference? Why shouldn't I be allowed to hunt deer with a .22? I assure you that I am a good enough shot to get the job done. Furthermore, I consider myself a pretty good shot with a pistol. Should I forget my .40 and go for the .22 to defend home and hearth? All of these options, including the primitives, will make living things into dead things. The issue with all of this is that their very nature does not allow for as efficient and humane kills as more modern weapons. I don't care how good someone is at throwing a spear. A spear is more likely to fail than is a centerfire rifle. With all that being said, these are simply my opinions and I don't really think my opinions and ethics should be put into law to keep people from doing what their ethical thinking allows them to do.

Just because it's bad-a** don't mean it's a good idea.

#3692870 - 06/17/14 10:43 AM Re: Alternative Weapons for Big Game [Re: DirtyBear0311]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

The .22 analogy is kinda apples and oranges, what arrows and spears lack in velocity they make up for in mass.

However, I will say that a .22 is perfectly capable of killing a deer and I'd be willing to bet up until the modernization of deer hunting...say before the 80s, the .22 probably killed more deer than any other caliber, mainly because of the sheer number of them out there.

#3692900 - 06/17/14 11:52 AM Re: Alternative Weapons for Big Game [Re: DirtyBear0311]
hornytoad
Spike

Loc: tennessee, usa

Again, you say " I THINK ". That is not freedom for the rest of us that don't agree with what you think.
Page 3 of 7 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
13 registered (Zulu, old guy, RodBone75, Prowler, Heavy Mass, riverman1, 4 invisible) and 51 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96150 Topics
1125928 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.073 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.