Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 7 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3692416 - 06/16/14 06:04 PM Re: Alternative Weapons for Big Game [Re: redblood]
in the dog house!
14 Point

Loc: west tn

Originally Posted By: redblood
the problem with primitive/inefficient weapons is not the effect that it has on deer harvest(none essentially), but rather the black eye that leaves on the non hunting publics perception of hunting. We cling to the fact that we hunt not just for satisfy a primitive bloodlust, but rarther to balance the population. Then we bring out some obsolete primitive tool like these that does virtually nothing to address herd growth, but will undoubtedly provide fodder for the antis- just because we can find anything else to with a saturday morning. All too often we are our own worst enemies.

By this I assume you have never had any experience with an atlatl. With practice they are very deadly and can be thrown very accurately up to 50 yards, key word is with practice, and lots of it \:\)

Μολων λαβε

#3692427 - 06/16/14 06:13 PM Re: Alternative Weapons for Big Game [Re: in the dog house!]
Rockhound
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co. TN

content Online
Because if guns had of been around the at late would never have existed \:\) I'll keep my boomsticks
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#3692654 - 06/16/14 09:54 PM Re: Alternative Weapons for Big Game [Re: in the dog house!]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: in the dog house!
the problem with primitive/inefficient weapons is not the effect that it has on deer harvest(none essentially), but rather the black eye that leaves on the non hunting publics perception of hunting. We cling to the fact that we hunt not just for satisfy a primitive bloodlust, but rarther to balance the population. Then we bring out some obsolete primitive tool like these that does virtually nothing to address herd growth, but will undoubtedly provide fodder for the antis- just because we can find anything else to with a saturday morning. All too often we are our own worst enemies.

By this I assume you have never had any experience with an atlatl. With practice they are very deadly and can be thrown very accurately up to 50 yards, key word is with practice, and lots of it \:\)

Sounds sort of like the anti gun crowd. Scared of something they know nothing about and making uneducated opinions. An unskilled person with a bow or gun can wound a deer just the same.

#3692692 - 06/17/14 12:46 AM Re: Alternative Weapons for Big Game [Re: trealtree]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

Originally Posted By: trealtree
[quote=redblood]the problem with primitive/inefficient weapons is not the effect that it has on deer harvest(none essentially), but rather the black eye that leaves on the non hunting publics perception of hunting. We cling to the fact that we hunt not just for satisfy a primitive bloodlust, but rarther to balance the population. Then we bring out some obsolete primitive tool like these that does virtually nothing to address herd growth, but will undoubtedly provide fodder for the antis- just because we can find anything else to with a saturday morning. All too often we are our own worst enemies.

Sounds sort of like the anti gun crowd. Scared of something they know nothing about and making uneducated opinions. An unskilled person with a bow or gun can wound a deer just the same. [/quote

not scared of anything except the numbers friend. we don't have them. as far as the amazing efficiency of the glorified spear, I am sure in the right circumstance, thrown by the right person at the right moment in time they are adequately efficient to take a deer. But just like a 22 lr can kill an Alaskan brown bear, doesn't mean it is an ethical choice.

#3692694 - 06/17/14 12:56 AM Re: Alternative Weapons for Big Game [Re: trealtree]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

Sounds sort of like the anti gun crowd. Scared of something they know nothing about and making uneducated opinions. An unskilled person with a bow or gun can wound a deer just the same.

no doubt that a deer can be lost by 30-06 or 7 mag just like it can a spear, but anyone who is honest with themselves knows that exponentially larger percentage will be lost, maimed, and crippled by these outdated relics. if our goals is to project a positive image of hunting, control and regulate deer populations, put food on the table for our families and give a noble animal the quick and humane harvest they deserve- What role do these primitive tools play?

#3692698 - 06/17/14 01:32 AM Re: Alternative Weapons for Big Game [Re: redblood]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

Ahhhhhh ethics, my favorite subject.

I think its kinda silly to discuss ethics in regards to hunting since ethics vary between people, regions, countries, cultures, states, etc...
Who gets to decide what is ethical? Me? PETA? The NRA? Australian Aborigine?

Some people think its unethical to hunt over bait, some people think turkey hunting in a blind is unethical, heck some people even think all hunting or even the act of killing an animal is unethical.

Any weapon including a high powered rifle can be an ineffective or inefficient tool for killing an animal. On the other hand a hammer can be incredibly effective. Pneumatic hammers(or bolt guns) are used to kill thousands of pigs and cows every day.

Back to the original question, should traditional weapons be allowed? Sure. I would never use a spear or a knife to kill a deer because I don't think I am skilled enough to do it, but if you think you are knock yourself out. If you end up wounding a bunch of animals that is for you to deal with both emotionally and maybe legally. There are already laws on the books against animal cruelty.

#3692763 - 06/17/14 06:37 AM Re: Alternative Weapons for Big Game [Re: BamaProud]
trealtree
16 Point

Here is some neat history about the Atlatl becoming legal in Missouri.

http://waa.basketmakeratlatl.com/wp-cont...I-9-14-2012.pdf

I have never thrown an atlatl. I have never shot a large caliber air gun. But I have talked to people(seen evidence, pictures and stories) that have and they are just as efficient as compound bows in the hands of a skilled person. And compound bows are just as efficient as the person that is shooting them.
It is very odd to see a TWRA official agree that these weapons are inefficient when they themselves outlawed airguns over .25 caliber because they thought someone might kill a deer with one while squirrel hunting.

#3692789 - 06/17/14 07:52 AM Re: Alternative Weapons for Big Game [Re: trealtree]
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Loc: Kingston Springs

I think the Spear/Atatl is a cool idea

Spending money I dont have

on things I dont need

to impress people I dont know

#3692794 - 06/17/14 08:13 AM Re: Alternative Weapons for Big Game [Re: Deer Assassin]
BDS05
8 Point

Loc: tn

Agree with redblood

#3692814 - 06/17/14 08:52 AM Re: Alternative Weapons for Big Game [Re: redblood]
trealtree
16 Point

no doubt that a deer can be lost by 30-06 or 7 mag just like it can a spear, but anyone who is honest with themselves knows that exponentially larger percentage will be lost, maimed, and crippled by these outdated relics. if our goals is to project a positive image of hunting, control and regulate deer populations, put food on the table for our families and give a noble animal the quick and humane harvest they deserve- What role do these primitive tools play?

Unfortunately or fortunately for some there is no evidence to support what you said. So that makes your opinion hold the same weight as the opinions of the people that want to use these weapons. The only difference is they have proved and made a case that they are effective in several states and the states agreed.

Page 2 of 7 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
34 registered (ruger7mag, turk870, Mike Belt, reloadxx, bull, Boll Weevil, 5 invisible) and 135 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93200 Topics
1089418 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.113 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.