Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 9 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#3694195 - 06/19/14 10:43 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: jb3]
The Ol'Professor
6 Point

Loc: Mid TN

I tried a couple of Yazoo "Summer Seasonals" after mowing the lawn yesterday. It's a wheat ale which I'm normally not too fond of. They were very good!

#3694758 - 06/20/14 07:30 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: Poser]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Poser

One of the problems with "The Scene" (where that article appeared) is that it's primarily a hipster rag. And hipsters are all about the hops. I've tried a few of those beers, and other than Yazoo's Dos Perros--which is a good Mexican-style brown ale--most are really hoppy. But again, that's because hipsters are driving the craft beer market, and they love hops.

I've started getting 6-packs of mixed singles, forcing myself to try as many paler ales as I can find, and surprisingly I have found a couple of beers that are OK. Even a few I truly like:

I would give Blackstone's summer seasonal Picnic Pale Ale 3 out of 5 stars. For those interested in trying a craft beer for the first time, this would be a great first beer, as it is closest to an American pilsner (which is what Bud, Coors, Miller, etc. all are), but without the pilsner bitterness.

Blackstone's English-style pale ale Maris Otter gets 3 1/2 out of 5 stars. Nice malts, virtually no hops finish.

Highland's Gaelic Amber Ale also gets 3 1/2 stars. Exceptional Irish-style dry ambler ale. Does have a noticeable hops finish although it is not overpowering.

But one I tried yesterday, New Holland's Sundog Amber Ale, tops my summer ale list at 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. It looks like a brown ale when poured, but tastes like a lighter English-style amber ale. Very nice malts with virtually no hops bite. VERY drinkable on a hot day. So far, this one looks like my new go-to summer beer. New Holland also bottles an excellent oatmeal stout called The Poet (after Edgar Allen Poe).

Blackstone is brewed and bottled in Nashville, but is distributed across the state. New Holland is brewed and bottled in Holland, MI, and is distributed everywhere in TN except Memphis. And why that is, I have no idea. But I've found that to be true of many out-of-state beers imported into TN: they are available everywhere but Memphis. Go figure...

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3694771 - 06/20/14 07:46 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

Here's a really interesting article about the explosive growth of craft beer, and Nashville's craft breweries in particular. Although craft beers are still just a small percentage of the U.S. beer market, their share of the market is growing fast. Beer sales for the big breweries (Bud, Miller, Coors, etc.) are falling, yet craft beers sales are exploding. In fact, craft breweries can't make enough product to satisfy even local demand.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/...ent?oid=4204153

In my opinion, there is a real business opportunity here.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3694772 - 06/20/14 07:47 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

BSK,

Its probably just an entirely different set of regional distributors. Craft beers are extremely popular in Memphis. There is a grocery store called Cash Saver that has the most impressive craft beer selection I have ever seen. I'm talking 3 full grocery store isles of nothing but beers you've never heard of plus a growler department.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3694773 - 06/20/14 07:48 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

Not a huge fan of Sundog, but I do like NH beers. I'd recommend you also try Asskisser line of beers. Both of these can be found at Midtown on Church. I'd say Frugal should also have them as well.
#3694776 - 06/20/14 07:49 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: jb3]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: jb3
Not a huge fan of Sundog, but I do like NH beers. I'd recommend you also try Asskisser line of beers. Both of these can be found at Midtown on Church. I'd say Frugal should also have them as well.

Thanks jb3, I'll check out the Asskisser line-up.

#3694777 - 06/20/14 07:52 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: Poser]
BSK
Non-Typical

BSK,

Its probably just an entirely different set of regional distributors. Craft beers are extremely popular in Memphis. There is a grocery store called Cash Saver that has the most impressive craft beer selection I have ever seen. I'm talking 3 full grocery store isles of nothing but beers you've never heard of plus a growler department.

You're probably right Poser, just a different distributorship.

Interesting about Cash Saver. I looked them up, and they have stores in Hendersonville and Ashland City. I'll have to check the local stores out and see if they carry craft beers.

#3694802 - 06/20/14 08:33 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: Poser]
moondawg
16 Point

Loc: Millington, TN

BSK,

I went to Cash Saver for the first time about a month or two ago. I was like a kid in a candy store! You'd never guess that it would have a cool beer garden. I like how you can mix singles of beer instead of buying a sixpack of one brand. I found beers that I couldn't get at the Beer Keg in Millington. It's not too far from work, and only a couple of minutes from a buddy's house.

#3694845 - 06/20/14 09:53 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: moondawg]
BSK
Non-Typical

I'm truly hooked on mixed singles 6-packs. I do still buy 6-packs of a particular beer I like, but mixed singles is they way to find out what you do and don't like.

#3694854 - 06/20/14 10:12 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

Midtown on Church has mixed 6 packs in the cooler. They are categorized per type of beer or region.
Page 5 of 9 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (CAW, RAFI, gtk, Bowtech Man, Tenn.Guy, alwaysoutdoors) and 66 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.