Tndeer Logo

Page all of 9 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3692066 - 06/16/14 09:23 AM ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales?
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Any craft beer fans have recommendations for good English-style ales? I love stouts, porters, and brown ales, but when I've been working outside in the heat, sometimes a heavy stout isn't what I'm looking for to quench my thirst. I would love to find a good pale or amber ale, but all of the pale ales seem to be too hoppy. I'm looking for any English-style ale (heavy on the malted grains, very low on hops) that others have found to their liking. Right now, the only lighter ales I've found to my liking are Nashville based Blackstone's Maris Otter and Highland Brewing's (Ashville, NC) Gaelic Ale.

Any other English/Irish/Scottish style lighter ale recommendations?

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3692077 - 06/16/14 09:50 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
moondawg
16 Point

Loc: Millington, TN

Newcastle. \:\)

I had a Belhaven Scottish ale on tap a few weeks ago. That was good. I'd love to get some more. Try that, I liked it.

Check out Innis & Gunn. Again, it's a Scottish Ale, stored in oak casks. Pretty good stuff.

#3692088 - 06/16/14 09:57 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: moondawg]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

During the summer I'm pretty much a wheater. I may hit an IPA every now and then. Our fridge has a seasonal from Yazoo and New Belgium. My wife really likes Jackalope's "Lovebird" cans but they were limited and I can't find them anymore. Best beer I've had is North Coast "Pranqster". Gotta go out of state as North Coast no longer distributes in TN.
#3692101 - 06/16/14 10:08 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: jb3]
G8rntn
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland, Tn

Strongbow???

10 STRAIGHT!!!! \:\)

And I OWN TWINSHOOTER!!!! \:\)

#3692149 - 06/16/14 10:49 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: G8rntn]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

It's summertime, and hipsters seem to be drivin gthe craft beer market. So you can either get Belgian-style wheats or hoppy IPA's.

#3692152 - 06/16/14 10:51 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: TAFKAP]
TAFKAP
14 Point

How about a McSorley's?

#3692173 - 06/16/14 11:22 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: TAFKAP]
The Ol'Professor
6 Point

Loc: Mid TN

Yuengling Porter..."American Owned, Family Operated."

#3692190 - 06/16/14 11:48 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: TAFKAP]
moondawg
16 Point

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP
How about a McSorley's?

YES! MCSorley's Irish Lager ( or ale? ) was one of the first dark beers I drank...and I really liked it. Unfortunately, my local beer barn doesn't carry it anymore.

#3692191 - 06/16/14 11:49 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: moondawg]
moondawg
16 Point

Try Theakston's Olde and Peculier.

#3692330 - 06/16/14 03:40 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: TAFKAP]
BSK
Non-Typical

It's summertime, and hipsters seem to be drivin gthe craft beer market. So you can either get Belgian-style wheats or hoppy IPA's.

Exactly, and I'm not a fan of either. I don't like Hefeweizens (wheat beers) and I'm definitely not a "hop"ster! ;\)

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3692332 - 06/16/14 03:42 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: moondawg]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: moondawg
Newcastle. \:\)

I had a Belhaven Scottish ale on tap a few weeks ago. That was good. I'd love to get some more. Try that, I liked it.

Check out Innis & Gunn. Again, it's a Scottish Ale, stored in oak casks. Pretty good stuff.

I'll check out the Belhaven and Innis & Gunn. Normally I do like Scottish ales.

#3692333 - 06/16/14 03:43 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: TAFKAP]
BSK
Non-Typical

How about a McSorley's?

Never had one. But I looked them up on Google and they look very interesting.

#3692338 - 06/16/14 03:46 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: G8rntn]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: G8rntn
Strongbow???

All I could find was their ciders. Do they make anything else?

#3692340 - 06/16/14 03:46 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
farmin68
16 Point

Loc: In a tree clinging to my guns ...

BSK, have you checked out the selection at Trader Joe's? I know almost nothing about beer, but it appears they have some brands/types you won't find in the average grocery store. Pretty sure you can buy in singles vs a six pack.

#3692342 - 06/16/14 03:48 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: jb3]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: jb3
During the summer I'm pretty much a wheater. I may hit an IPA every now and then. Our fridge has a seasonal from Yazoo and New Belgium. My wife really likes Jackalope's "Lovebird" cans but they were limited and I can't find them anymore. Best beer I've had is North Coast "Pranqster". Gotta go out of state as North Coast no longer distributes in TN.

I like a few from New Belgium, and I definitely like Yazoo's Dos Perros (Mexican-style brown ale) and Dry Rye Porter, but I'm not a fan of their pale ales (at least the ones I've tried--their year-round line-up).

#3692343 - 06/16/14 03:51 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: farmin68]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: farmin68
BSK, have you checked out the selection at Trader Joe's? I know almost nothing about beer, but it appears they have some brands/types you won't find in the average grocery store. Pretty sure you can buy in singles vs a six pack.

No, I haven't been to Trader Joe's. Pretty good beer selection?

I mainly do my beer shopping at the Filling Stations, Craft Brewed, and Frugal Macdoogal's.

#3692344 - 06/16/14 03:52 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: moondawg]
BSK
Non-Typical

How about a McSorley's?

YES! MCSorley's Irish Lager ( or ale? ) was one of the first dark beers I drank...and I really liked it. Unfortunately, my local beer barn doesn't carry it anymore.

I tend to REALLY like Black Lagers. But I'm really looking for a lighter summer beer, but still something made in the English style (high malt; low hops).

#3692348 - 06/16/14 03:58 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: moondawg]
BSK
Non-Typical

I had never heard of this until I looked it up. Sounds like a great darker English Ale. If I see it available, I'm definitely going to try that one.

#3692351 - 06/16/14 04:07 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: The Ol'Professor]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: The Ol'Professor

The Yuengling Porter and Black and Tan sound awesome, but their Lagers and Ales are made with American Cascade hops, which is pretty strong. Unfortunately, so many American craft beers are made with Cascade hops, which I'm just not partial to.

#3692425 - 06/16/14 06:11 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
444tsgt
Spike

Loc: Mt Juliet,tn

Old speckled hen, Boddingtons, Abbott ale and Greene king were my fav's when I lived in England.
#3692432 - 06/16/14 06:21 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
moondawg
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: The Ol'Professor

The Yuengling Porter and Black and Tan sound awesome, but their Lagers and Ales are made with American Cascade hops, which is pretty strong. Unfortunately, so many American craft beers are made with Cascade hops, which I'm just not partial to.

Leave it to Bryan the Science Guy to inject a little science into a beer discussion. \:D

I didn't know that. I'm sure different hops will influence the flavor. I think I am partial to roasted malts.

#3692433 - 06/16/14 06:23 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
moondawg
16 Point

I had never heard of this until I looked it up. Sounds like a great darker English Ale. If I see it available, I'm definitely going to try that one.

Just checked, I had it wrong...it's Theakston's Old Peculier.

It is a darker ale. It's been a few years since I've had one, and my tastes have matured since then. I need to re-try this one. Might like it even more.

#3692455 - 06/16/14 06:43 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: moondawg]
moondawg
16 Point

Best consumed listening to classic Iron Maiden...especially the beer's namesake song, "The Trooper". \:\)

#3692603 - 06/16/14 08:54 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: moondawg]
ADR
Spike

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Sounds like you would like a Xingu
#3692683 - 06/16/14 11:51 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
TAFKAP
14 Point

How about a McSorley's?

Tasty stuff…..they sell it at Kroger around Memphis

#3692684 - 06/16/14 11:52 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: moondawg]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Best consumed listening to classic Iron Maiden...especially the beer's namesake song, "The Trooper". \:\)

#3692687 - 06/16/14 11:57 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: TAFKAP]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

moondawg - that is awesome and I want some.

#3692700 - 06/17/14 01:47 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
farmin68
16 Point

Originally Posted By: farmin68

No, I haven't been to Trader Joe's. Pretty good beer selection?

I mainly do my beer shopping at the Filling Stations, Craft Brewed, and Frugal Macdoogal's.

I'm not sure how good the selection is as I'm not a beer fan, but it appears to be a good selection to me. If they carried bourbon I would be paying more attention. \:D

Maybe these links can help.

http://thephoenix.com/boston/food/151953-beer-on-a-budget-%E2%80%98craft-lite-and-a-trip-to-trad/

http://www.pressherald.com/2010/11/18/tr...ess_2010-11-18/

#3692792 - 06/17/14 07:59 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: TAFKAP]
BSK
Non-Typical

How about a McSorley's?

Tasty stuff…..they sell it at Kroger around Memphis

If Memphis Krogers sell it, Nashville ones should as well. I'll look. I'm actually amazed at how many craft beers Krogers now carries.

#3692793 - 06/17/14 08:05 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

As I was telling moondawg in a PM, I do love brown ales, porters, and stouts, and drink one with dinner almost every day. However, they aren't beers you drink when you're thirsty. You drink them for the pronounced flavors. I need to find a beer that can be downed when you're hot and thirsty, but isn't too hoppy. I prefer malt forward, low hops beers, which is the English style of beer-making. With hipsters driving the craft beer market in the U.S., just about every paler beer made here is very hops heavy. I want to find a low hops pale or amber beer for summer drinking.

#3692803 - 06/17/14 08:36 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
moondawg
16 Point

The Trooper reminded me somewhat of a Newcastle. Definitely an English ale. It was pretty good. One of my co-workers got it for me when he was in Alabama. He knew I liked Iron Maiden and got it for me. I kept the bottle as collector's item. \:\)

#3692804 - 06/17/14 08:37 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
jb3
10 Point

BSK, I'd suggest maybe hitting up Midtown on Church when you get the chance. They have a good selection of beers (right side of building). I picked up a good hef and some wheats a couple weeks ago. On the Liquor store side they have some good high grav's as well. It's on the pricey side, but Brooklyn Brewery has a good one called Wild Streak. I think is their saison. It's a limited production but if you can find it, it's a good one for summer.
#3692808 - 06/17/14 08:41 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: jb3]
BSK
Non-Typical

BSK, I'd suggest maybe hitting up Midtown on Church when you get the chance.

Looks like I'm going to have to try Midtown and Trader Joe's. I haven't shopped either of those yet. I need a retailer that carries imports, as I can't find anything American that suites my tastes.

I tried the Brooklyn Brown Ale and found it very sour for a brown ale.

#3692830 - 06/17/14 09:12 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
jb3
10 Point

BSK, I think this is the 3rd year for it.

http://nashvillecraftbeerweek.com/schedule/

A lot of things going on next week.

#3692901 - 06/17/14 11:53 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
farmin68
16 Point

Looks like I'm going to have to try Midtown and Trader Joe's. I haven't shopped either of those yet.

You just might find a new favorite grocery store in Trader Joe's. I make it a point to hit it when I'm in Nashville. Good product, prices, and excellent service. If we had a TJ's in Clarksville it would always be my first stop for groceries.

#3692908 - 06/17/14 12:10 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: jb3]
BSK
Non-Typical

BSK, I think this is the 3rd year for it.

http://nashvillecraftbeerweek.com/schedule/

A lot of things going on next week.

Oh yes, I'll be "participating!" ;\)

#3692920 - 06/17/14 12:32 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
TAFKAP
14 Point

As I was telling moondawg in a PM, I do love brown ales, porters, and stouts, and drink one with dinner almost every day. However, they aren't beers you drink when you're thirsty. You drink them for the pronounced flavors. I need to find a beer that can be downed when you're hot and thirsty, but isn't too hoppy. I prefer malt forward, low hops beers, which is the English style of beer-making. With hipsters driving the craft beer market in the U.S., just about every paler beer made here is very hops heavy. I want to find a low hops pale or amber beer for summer drinking.

This is the only chick beer I'll drink

Beer + lemonade, but it's not nasty & sweet like those malt drinks high school girls drink (Mike's Hard Lemonade, Smirnoff Ice, etc.)

#3692941 - 06/17/14 01:23 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: TAFKAP]
BSK
Non-Typical

Looks interesting.

#3694165 - 06/19/14 09:51 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Hey BSK,

I saw this: Six Nashville Craft Beers You Should Be Drinking Right Now

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3694187 - 06/19/14 10:34 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: Poser]
jb3
10 Point

Do not go the Basil Ryeman route. It's pretty nasty stuff. Lovebird is pretty good but is very limited. Not sure why they would say this is a beer you should be drinking when you have to search all over town to find it.
#3694195 - 06/19/14 10:43 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: jb3]
The Ol'Professor
6 Point

Loc: Mid TN

I tried a couple of Yazoo "Summer Seasonals" after mowing the lawn yesterday. It's a wheat ale which I'm normally not too fond of. They were very good!

#3694758 - 06/20/14 07:30 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: Poser]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Poser

One of the problems with "The Scene" (where that article appeared) is that it's primarily a hipster rag. And hipsters are all about the hops. I've tried a few of those beers, and other than Yazoo's Dos Perros--which is a good Mexican-style brown ale--most are really hoppy. But again, that's because hipsters are driving the craft beer market, and they love hops.

I've started getting 6-packs of mixed singles, forcing myself to try as many paler ales as I can find, and surprisingly I have found a couple of beers that are OK. Even a few I truly like:

I would give Blackstone's summer seasonal Picnic Pale Ale 3 out of 5 stars. For those interested in trying a craft beer for the first time, this would be a great first beer, as it is closest to an American pilsner (which is what Bud, Coors, Miller, etc. all are), but without the pilsner bitterness.

Blackstone's English-style pale ale Maris Otter gets 3 1/2 out of 5 stars. Nice malts, virtually no hops finish.

Highland's Gaelic Amber Ale also gets 3 1/2 stars. Exceptional Irish-style dry ambler ale. Does have a noticeable hops finish although it is not overpowering.

But one I tried yesterday, New Holland's Sundog Amber Ale, tops my summer ale list at 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. It looks like a brown ale when poured, but tastes like a lighter English-style amber ale. Very nice malts with virtually no hops bite. VERY drinkable on a hot day. So far, this one looks like my new go-to summer beer. New Holland also bottles an excellent oatmeal stout called The Poet (after Edgar Allen Poe).

Blackstone is brewed and bottled in Nashville, but is distributed across the state. New Holland is brewed and bottled in Holland, MI, and is distributed everywhere in TN except Memphis. And why that is, I have no idea. But I've found that to be true of many out-of-state beers imported into TN: they are available everywhere but Memphis. Go figure...

#3694771 - 06/20/14 07:46 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

Here's a really interesting article about the explosive growth of craft beer, and Nashville's craft breweries in particular. Although craft beers are still just a small percentage of the U.S. beer market, their share of the market is growing fast. Beer sales for the big breweries (Bud, Miller, Coors, etc.) are falling, yet craft beers sales are exploding. In fact, craft breweries can't make enough product to satisfy even local demand.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/...ent?oid=4204153

In my opinion, there is a real business opportunity here.

#3694772 - 06/20/14 07:47 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

BSK,

Its probably just an entirely different set of regional distributors. Craft beers are extremely popular in Memphis. There is a grocery store called Cash Saver that has the most impressive craft beer selection I have ever seen. I'm talking 3 full grocery store isles of nothing but beers you've never heard of plus a growler department.

#3694773 - 06/20/14 07:48 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
jb3
10 Point

Not a huge fan of Sundog, but I do like NH beers. I'd recommend you also try Asskisser line of beers. Both of these can be found at Midtown on Church. I'd say Frugal should also have them as well.
#3694776 - 06/20/14 07:49 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: jb3]
BSK
Non-Typical

Not a huge fan of Sundog, but I do like NH beers. I'd recommend you also try Asskisser line of beers. Both of these can be found at Midtown on Church. I'd say Frugal should also have them as well.

Thanks jb3, I'll check out the Asskisser line-up.

#3694777 - 06/20/14 07:52 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: Poser]
BSK
Non-Typical

BSK,

Its probably just an entirely different set of regional distributors. Craft beers are extremely popular in Memphis. There is a grocery store called Cash Saver that has the most impressive craft beer selection I have ever seen. I'm talking 3 full grocery store isles of nothing but beers you've never heard of plus a growler department.

You're probably right Poser, just a different distributorship.

Interesting about Cash Saver. I looked them up, and they have stores in Hendersonville and Ashland City. I'll have to check the local stores out and see if they carry craft beers.

#3694802 - 06/20/14 08:33 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: Poser]
moondawg
16 Point

BSK,

I went to Cash Saver for the first time about a month or two ago. I was like a kid in a candy store! You'd never guess that it would have a cool beer garden. I like how you can mix singles of beer instead of buying a sixpack of one brand. I found beers that I couldn't get at the Beer Keg in Millington. It's not too far from work, and only a couple of minutes from a buddy's house.

#3694845 - 06/20/14 09:53 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: moondawg]
BSK
Non-Typical

I'm truly hooked on mixed singles 6-packs. I do still buy 6-packs of a particular beer I like, but mixed singles is they way to find out what you do and don't like.

#3694854 - 06/20/14 10:12 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
jb3
10 Point

Midtown on Church has mixed 6 packs in the cooler. They are categorized per type of beer or region.
#3694876 - 06/20/14 10:53 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

BSK,

Interesting about Cash Saver. I looked them up, and they have stores in Hendersonville and Ashland City. I'll have to check the local stores out and see if they carry craft beers.

At the Memphis location, the owner's son is a homebrewer and he takes care of the beer selection, I'm not sure if every location is going to be ran that way.

Moondawg,
The key to efficiently checking at CashSaver when you are just buying beer is to go to the deli and checkout.

#3694902 - 06/20/14 11:57 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: Poser]
moondawg
16 Point

BSK,

At the Memphis location, the owner's son is a homebrewer and he takes care of the beer selection, I'm not sure if every location is going to be ran that way.

Moondawg,
The key to efficiently checking at CashSaver when you are just buying beer is to go to the deli and checkout.

Cool. I'll have to remember that.

#3694941 - 06/20/14 01:14 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: moondawg]
BSK
Non-Typical

Per recommendations on styles and brands I've received in this thread, I've picked up a few more singles to try out. A few of them are:

Yazoo Summer Seasonal Wheat Ale
Boddington's Pub Ale
Blackstone Chaser Pale Kolsch
New Holland Monkey King Saison
Stoudts Munich-style Helles
Highland Razor Wit Belgian-style White Ale
Schlafly Kolsch
Kcco Black Lager (because I can never turn down a black lager!)

#3695195 - 06/21/14 04:20 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: TAFKAP]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

This is the only chick beer I'll drink

Beer + lemonade, but it's not nasty & sweet like those malt drinks high school girls drink (Mike's Hard Lemonade, Smirnoff Ice, etc.)

I make a Lemon Cider that is pretty tasty...its a pretty dry very refreshing Summer Drink IMO.

#3695197 - 06/21/14 04:39 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
BamaProud
12 Point

I'm not a real big hops fan either, but I have found that I really enjoy aroma hops which are added after the brewing process- called "dry hoping".

This dry-hopped APA is made in St Louis. IBU is about 50(not nearly as high as the IPAs and many Stouts), but the hop aroma is incredible:
http://schlafly.com/beers/styles/dry-hopped-apa/

#3695235 - 06/21/14 07:47 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BamaProud]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: BamaProud
I'm not a real big hops fan either, but I have found that I really enjoy aroma hops which are added after the brewing process- called "dry hoping".

Those dry-hopped beers always fool me. I'll check the aroma before tasting, smell all that hops and think, "Uh oh, this isn't going to go well." Then I'll taste them and be shocked. Where did all the hops go?

#3695236 - 06/21/14 07:48 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

By the way, the Yazoo Summer Seasonal Wheat Ale wasn't bad. I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

#3695349 - 06/21/14 11:22 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
Hawk
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: west tenn.

By the way, the Yazoo Summer Seasonal Wheat Ale wasn't bad. I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

Have you tried out The Pharmacy's beer selection? Might need a DD if you try them all.

http://f.page-assets.com/assets/docs/53039f71df9a1507d400001d.pdf

#3695691 - 06/21/14 11:34 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: Hawk]
TAFKAP
14 Point

I got the Sam Adams hops sampler tonight…mainly because nothing else really suited me. It consists of (2) of each:

Double Agent IPL (India Pale LAGER)
Latitude 48 IPA
Whitewater IPA

I really don't like many IPA's, but these three are pretty tasty. It's not about overwhelming you with hops, as many IPA's try to do. They're all well done. The Latitude is my least favorite, but the Whitewater is a really good IPA. And the Pale Lager is pretty awesome, as well.

#3695694 - 06/22/14 12:12 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: TAFKAP]
BamaProud
12 Point

I've never made a Lager. I have the equipment, but need to come to a point when I can commit my fermenting chamber exclusively to one brew for several a months. If I do make one it probably makes the most sense to do a double (10-gal) batch.

#3695771 - 06/22/14 08:29 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BamaProud]
BSK
Non-Typical

The one type of lager I consistently like is black lager. New Belgium's 1554 is pretty darn good. Guinness makes a good black lager. Although it's expensive and only sold in bombers (22 oz bottles) Rogue's Dirtoir Black Lager is EXCEPTIONAL.

#3695774 - 06/22/14 08:33 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: TAFKAP]
BSK
Non-Typical

I found out I do NOT like Saisons. I've tried two, and both were so sour I poured them out. Kolschs taste too much like American pilsners.

So far, for summer drinking, I'm finding the least hoppy amber ales and a few English pale ales are my beers of choice.

With a meal, I'm sticking to brown ales, porters and stouts.

#3698529 - 06/26/14 01:27 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
TAFKAP
14 Point

We went out last night to SOB (South of Beale) and I had a couple good ones. Yazoo's Porter and the Memphis-Made Scottish Ale. Both were delicious.

#3698536 - 06/26/14 01:31 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: TAFKAP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

We went out last night to SOB (South of Beale) and I had a couple good ones. Yazoo's Porter and the Memphis-Made Scottish Ale. Both were delicious.

I had a couple of the Memphis Made Scottish Ales the other night at Second Line.

#3698552 - 06/26/14 02:09 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: Poser]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

Had an Arrogant Bastrd Ale last night. While good - too hoppy for my liking. The SUE from YAZOO brewing of Nashville I had early this week was good and I have a Chimay (blue) planned for tomorrow night.

#3698666 - 06/26/14 05:42 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: Kimber45]
chunkandwind
8 Point

Loc: mckenzie,tn

Brooklyn Summer Ale. IBU of 18 so it is low on the bitter.
It drinks easy. ;\)

Keep calm and brew beer.
Grow Organic! I can show you how.

#3698713 - 06/26/14 07:49 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: chunkandwind]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

Originally Posted By: chunkandwind
It drinks easy. ;\)

I need to try it!! Find me any .25's yet \:\)

#3698720 - 06/26/14 07:59 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: Kimber45]
Dodge Man
12 Point

Loc: Dyersburg, TN

http://www.http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3818/47228/.com/beer/profile/583/32767/

It's seasonal but still in stock in some stores. Like great pumpkin pie in a bottle! 16 IBU there is no hops to bother you.

http://www.talkinfowl.com/

#3698796 - 06/26/14 09:31 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: Kimber45]
chunkandwind
8 Point

Loc: mckenzie,tn

Originally Posted By: Kimber45
It drinks easy. ;\)

I need to try it!! Find me any .25's yet \:\)

It's real good when you can find it.

I found the .25's this morning! Finally! Sorry about the wait man.

Keep calm and brew beer.
Grow Organic! I can show you how.

#3698838 - 06/26/14 11:14 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: chunkandwind]
Recoil
4 Point

Loc: Williamson County

I've been drinking a beer called Bud Light. Just the right amount of hops and barley...and you can get it in cans or bottles.
#3698987 - 06/27/14 08:37 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: TAFKAP]
BSK
Non-Typical

Yazoo's Sly Rye Porter is an excellent beer. One of my regulars.

#3698988 - 06/27/14 08:38 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: chunkandwind]
BSK
Non-Typical

It drinks easy. ;\)

That sounds interesting. I'll have to try one of those.

#3698995 - 06/27/14 08:41 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Recoil
I've been drinking a beer called Bud Light. Just the right amount of hops and barley...and you can get it in cans or bottles.

And available everywhere. Too bad it tastes so nasty. Most American Pilsners are made from corn. I prefer to leave corn for making whiskey, not beer.

#3700081 - 06/29/14 12:09 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: jb3]
BSK
Non-Typical

Just a heads up thanks to jb3 for his recommendation of Midtown Wine and Spirits as a good craft beer store. GREAT selection.

#3700242 - 06/29/14 05:20 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
Wobblyshot1
8 Point

Loc: Rutherford County

Originally Posted By: Recoil

And available everywhere. Too bad it tastes so nasty. Most American Pilsners are made from corn. I prefer to leave corn for making whiskey, not beer.

I had an old friend that use to say, as far as he was concerned, Mr. Budweiser could pour it back into the Clydesdale it came out of.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
I like Flintlocks!

#3700244 - 06/29/14 05:25 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: Wobblyshot1]
Wobblyshot1
8 Point

Loc: Rutherford County

Blackstone has a summer seasonal English style ale called Picnic....I thought it was pretty good.

O.G.-1.050
IBU-26
N.M.L.R.A. Member
I like Flintlocks!

#3700465 - 06/30/14 07:08 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: Wobblyshot1]
jb3
10 Point

Just a reminder to beer fans here or near Nashville. I believe this week you can start getting high gravity growler fills at some area locations. Just in time for the 4th.
#3700475 - 06/30/14 07:25 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: Wobblyshot1]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Wobblyshot1
Blackstone has a summer seasonal English style ale called Picnic....I thought it was pretty good.

Picnic was decent, but I liked their Maris Otter better.

#3705243 - 07/08/14 04:10 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
Dodge Man
12 Point

Oskar Blues Old Chub Scotch Ale should be a good one for you in that range

#3705259 - 07/08/14 04:24 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: Dodge Man]
BSK
Non-Typical

That sounds interesting. I'll look for it.

#3705838 - 07/09/14 09:19 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
Dodge Man
12 Point

That sounds interesting. I'll look for it.

http://brew.oskarblues.com/ob-beers/year-round/old-chub/

Its not hard to find in my area, I assume most liquor stores that have a good beer selection will have it. They have a brewery in N Carolina so it should be even easier to get in Middle and East TN. I don't know if your in to Nitro beers but there just now producing this beer in a Nitro also.

#3705859 - 07/09/14 09:50 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: Dodge Man]
jb3
10 Point

Was at a brewery in Asheville one time during Nitro week. Just glad we had a driver.
#3705948 - 07/09/14 11:31 AM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: BSK]
feldmutze
4 Point

Loc: Clinton, Tn.

The one type of lager I consistently like is black lager. New Belgium's 1554 is pretty darn good. Guinness makes a good black lager. Although it's expensive and only sold in bombers (22 oz bottles) Rogue's Dirtoir Black Lager is EXCEPTIONAL.

I drank a couple New Belgium 1554 drafts yesterday at a small pizza place (Lukes) in Johnson City. I really enjoyed it, first 1554.

George Santayana

#3706111 - 07/09/14 02:50 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: Dodge Man]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Dodge Man
I assume most liquor stores that have a good beer selection will have it.

Until very recently, liquor stores couldn't sell beer in Nashville. Although some have an adjacent companion store that sells beer.

Quote:
I don't know if your in to Nitro beers but there just now producing this beer in a Nitro also.

Yes, I am! Left Hand's Nitro Milk Stout is my favorite beer.

#3706115 - 07/09/14 02:51 PM Re: ...more craft beer fans - English-style Ales? [Re: feldmutze]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: feldmutze

I drank a couple New Belgium 1554 drafts yesterday at a small pizza place (Lukes) in Johnson City. I really enjoyed it, first 1554.

Try the Rogue Dirtoir Black Lager if you get the chance. Expensive (around $7 for a bomber) but well worth it.

Page all of 9 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
19 registered (barkscraper, cbarron19, old_man, Daniel n, MUP, Deerhunter, 3 invisible) and 60 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89230 Topics
1043555 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 4.558 seconds in which 4.265 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.