Page 7 of 9 « First<56789>
Topic Options
#3692025 - 06/16/14 08:13 AM Re: Presidents Island [Re: Spurhunter]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Originally Posted By: Spurhunter
I'm making arguments for no such things. I just think it is beyond hilarious that people say Tennessee can't grow big deer because of the soil or whatever.

tennessee IS growing bigger deer without further restrictions

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3692037 - 06/16/14 08:33 AM Re: Presidents Island [Re: stik]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

Originally Posted By: stik
I'm making arguments for no such things. I just think it is beyond hilarious that people say Tennessee can't grow big deer because of the soil or whatever.

tennessee IS growing bigger deer without further restrictions

With that logic could we not say TN could grow MORE bigger deer with different restrictions?

Regardless I like Pres Island as it is, it gives those who want a chance to hunt a highly restricted place a reasonable chance to do so...though it may take you 10plus years. Take the Arizona Strip or Unit 61 Colorado Mule deer, it will take you a lifetime to get those tags but if your after a 200" mule deer those are your places to go.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3692071 - 06/16/14 09:34 AM Re: Presidents Island [Re: Poser]
landman
10 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: landman
So TN can raise bigger bucks if you limit the number of bucks killed......Didn't think that could happen

Doh! The brown-and-downers don't like that logic, but the proof is in the pudding.

On one hand, I find it entirely comical that you guys are making backhanded arguments for a statewide management practice that limits 50 hunters per 3,500 acres to hunting exactly 3 days a year, archery only (and with a success rate of less than 50%.) No turkey hunting, no small game hunting, no scouting, no firearms, no out of season access.

On the other hand: Be careful what you wish for.

Actually You don't know what I'm saying, I never talked about turkey, small game
Hunting, scouting, or firearms, but if you think that's what's
Makes PI Great you need to think again, Great hunting
can and does happen with ALL of that

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#3692112 - 06/16/14 10:17 AM Re: Presidents Island [Re: landman]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

So TN can raise bigger bucks if you limit the number of bucks killed......Didn't think that could happen

Doh! The brown-and-downers don't like that logic, but the proof is in the pudding.

On one hand, I find it entirely comical that you guys are making backhanded arguments for a statewide management practice that limits 50 hunters per 3,500 acres to hunting exactly 3 days a year, archery only (and with a success rate of less than 50%.) No turkey hunting, no small game hunting, no scouting, no firearms, no out of season access.

Actually You don't know what I'm saying, I never talked about turkey, small game

Through a series of questions, you were trying to bait us into admitting that the management practices applied on PI could result in similar results statewide.

Its 3,500 acres of property with highly limited access with incredibly high deer densities (I believe that it was once ~100 deer per square mile, but let's say 50). ~50 deer per square mile on 3,500 acres with ~20 bucks taken year is not a situation that can be easily/feasibly mimicked. That's not even taking into consideration the thousands of acres surrounding PI that are not hunted. There is nothing about PI that you can point to and say, "See the results! This is how we should manage our deer." You can try to that, but you are going to run into both logical and practical dead ends at every turn.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3692115 - 06/16/14 10:19 AM Re: Presidents Island [Re: Brandon Todd]
eddie c
Old School
12 Point

Loc: jackson, tn

starting over. o points from me.
#3692221 - 06/16/14 12:37 PM Re: Presidents Island [Re: KENBOB10]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

Well I'm entered again, me and a buddy of mine always put in as a party hunt, he has one point less than me so we are in the 8 point group

#3692299 - 06/16/14 03:01 PM Re: Presidents Island [Re: 1shot1kill]
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Loc: Clinton, TN

Originally Posted By: 1shot1kill
My party of 3 has 7 points going into this draw. We will continue to put in for the island. Wish we would hurry up and get drawn, im wanting to go back to Oakridge.
This is just an fyi but Oak Ridge is nothing like it was 7 years ago. 7 years ago I would see 10-15 guaranteed on a hunt. Last year I didn't even go back Sunday.

#3692309 - 06/16/14 03:19 PM Re: Presidents Island [Re: Poser]
landman
10 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

Through a series of questions, you were trying to bait us into admitting that the management practices applied on PI could result in similar results statewide.

Its 3,500 acres of property with highly limited access with incredibly high deer densities (I believe that it was once ~100 deer per square mile, but let's say 50). ~50 deer per square mile on 3,500 acres with ~20 bucks taken year is not a situation that can be easily/feasibly mimicked. That's not even taking into consideration the thousands of acres surrounding PI that are not hunted. There is nothing about PI that you can point to and say, "See the results! This is how we should manage our deer." You can try to that, but you are going to run into both logical and practical dead ends at every turn.

I don't know anyone on here that agrees with point restrictions,
but I'm sure theirs a few...

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#3692413 - 06/16/14 05:58 PM Re: Presidents Island [Re: Poser]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Great post!!

#3692463 - 06/16/14 06:50 PM Re: Presidents Island [Re: timberjack86]
Twinshooter
10 Point

Loc: Collierville, TN. USA

Wow, guys slow down a little, it is going to be a long hot summer, Hunting season will be here.. Just be patience. \:\)

Puppet Boy G8rntn is bought and paid for!!

Page 7 of 9 « First<56789>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
25 registered (ruger7mag, Tennessee Lead, excalhunter, BluegrassDan, hinshm, catman529, 4 invisible) and 79 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96066 Topics
1124855 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.077 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.