Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3691421 - 06/14/14 09:19 PM TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle
TNReb
Formally known as Nyper
16 Point

Loc: Lebanon

Note sure if this has been discussed here. I was talking to a couple of people this weekend who hadn't heard about it, so I thought I'd toss it out there....

Beginning July 1, you may carry a handgun in your vehicle (cocked/locked/ready to roll).

Senate Judiciary Committee 1, Amendment No. 1 to SB1774

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Amend/SA1072.pdf

#3691473 - 06/14/14 10:44 PM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: TNReb]
biglefty20
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill/Giles County

Is that without a permit?

#3691500 - 06/15/14 12:11 AM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: biglefty20]
Kritter Gitter
4 Point

Loc: N. East TN

That section is really vague in definition. Not really sure if it means that any person can carry a loaded firearm in their vehicle or if its just clairifing the vehicle usage. Not heard of any laws changing regarding this. But interested to know!

Make every day a training day!

#3691544 - 06/15/14 06:45 AM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: Kritter Gitter]
TNReb
Formally known as Nyper
16 Point

You may have to read 39-17-1307 for it to make sense. It means you can carry in your vehicle without a permit.
#3691613 - 06/15/14 09:01 AM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: biglefty20]
Timber Ghost
8 Point

Loc: Tn. Blount( Seymour)

Originally Posted By: biglefty20
Is that without a permit?
Yes, the way I understand it.

#3691659 - 06/15/14 10:11 AM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: Timber Ghost]
KENBOB10
16 Point

Loc: Benton tn. Polk Co.

The idea that you will be able to do this without a permit is not true. Please don't get caught without a permit.

#3691667 - 06/15/14 10:42 AM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: KENBOB10]
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Loc: Kingston Springs

. If u carry loaded in tn in ur auto with out permit u will be arrested and go to jail. Had a real good friend find out 2 weeks ago

Edited by Deer Assassin (06/15/14 10:43 AM)

Spending money I dont have

on things I dont need

to impress people I dont know

#3691675 - 06/15/14 10:54 AM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: Deer Assassin]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

Begins July 1st....not active just yet

#3691691 - 06/15/14 11:23 AM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: Kimber45]
biglefty20
10 Point

After July 1st will it be ok? I have permit but wife doesn't is why I'm asking

#3691701 - 06/15/14 12:01 PM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: biglefty20]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Yeah, some boat. Curious to say what the official word on this is.

Another thing to be mindful of if this does allow carry in your vehicle without a permit, is don't expect every LEO in the state to be aware of the law. You might want to carry a copy of these laws with you if you intend to have a firearm in your vehcile without a permit.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3691714 - 06/15/14 01:01 PM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: Poser]
X-Tennessean
6 Point

Loc: Hunt Tn, live n Mo !

Missouri has had this ruling for a long time, they consider your vehicle and extension of your home and I feel it is a very good ruling. I don't believe it can be concealed IF you do not have a CCW though. It has to be in plain site if stopped by a LEO.
#3691729 - 06/15/14 02:06 PM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: X-Tennessean]
Deerhunter
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Newport/Gatlinburg

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1307, is amended by deleting
subsection (e) in its entirety and substituting instead the following:
(e)
(1) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person is
carrying or possessing a firearm or firearm ammunition in a motor vehicle if the
person:
(A) Is not prohibited from possessing or receiving a firearm by 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)
or purchasing a firearm by § 39-17-1316; and
( B ) Is in lawful possession of the motor vehicle.
(2) As used in this subsection:
(A) “Motor vehicle” has the same meaning as defined in § 55-1-103.
( B ) “Motor vehicle” does not include any motor vehicle that is:
(i) Owned or leased by a governmental or private entity that has adopted a written policy prohibiting firearms or
ammunition not required for employment within such a motor vehicle; and
(ii) Provided by such entity to an employee for use during the course of employment.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect July 1, 2014, the public welfare requiring it.

#3691731 - 06/15/14 02:12 PM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: Deerhunter]
KENBOB10
16 Point

Somebody in Tennessee high up needs to let law enforcement in on this. It's not a known fact for sure.

#3691788 - 06/15/14 05:07 PM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: KENBOB10]
Timber Ghost
8 Point

Loc: Tn. Blount( Seymour)

Originally Posted By: KENBOB10
Somebody in Tennessee high up needs to let law enforcement in on this. It's not a known fact for sure.
New amendment takes effect July 1st, LEO's will be informed. I think Kentucky has been this way for a long time.

#3691795 - 06/15/14 05:22 PM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: KENBOB10]
TNReb
Formally known as Nyper
16 Point

The idea that you will be able to do this without a permit is not true. Please don't get caught without a permit.

Go read the new laws. No permit will be required after 7/1/2014.

#3691855 - 06/15/14 07:54 PM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: TNReb]
KENBOB10
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Nyper

Go read the new laws. No permit will be required after 7/1/2014.

Well, I guess I can be wrong. It's the first time. ;\)

#3691877 - 06/15/14 08:38 PM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: KENBOB10]
TNReb
Formally known as Nyper
16 Point

Well, I guess I can be wrong. It's the first time. ;\)

I'm usually wrong 2 or 3 times before I ever get out of bed. \:D

I wasn't trying to sound like a smart aleck with my reply... don't take it that way.

#3691885 - 06/15/14 08:43 PM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: Poser]
pcrc
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: Poser

Another thing to be mindful of if this does allow carry in your vehicle without a permit, is don't expect every LEO in the state to be aware of the law. You might want to carry a copy of these laws with you if you intend to have a firearm in your vehcile without a permit.

It's amazing the phrase "ignorance of the law is no excuse" doesnt apply to those whose job is it to enforce them.

#3691895 - 06/15/14 08:57 PM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: pcrc]
scn
16 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Originally Posted By: pcrc
 Originally Posted By: Poser

It's amazing the phrase "ignorance of the law is no excuse" doesnt apply to those whose job is it to enforce them.

Since the law doesn't go into effect until July 1, it is hard to see where any law enforcement person has misapplied it up to now. It might be better to wait to sling the barbs until after some LEO has messed it up.

#3696381 - 06/23/14 09:02 AM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: scn]
TNReb
Formally known as Nyper
16 Point

I just wanted to back track a little on this...

I've spoken to a local LEO and he said to his knowledge, this didn't mean that you could carry a handgun in a vehicle without a permit. He asked another local LEO, and that officer said the same thing. I even showed him the text of the amendment and the piece of TCA code, and he still wasn't sure.

I contacted the local District Attorney's office and they said they had never heard of this amendment and that I should contact the Department of Safety.

I contacted them, and they said they were aware of this amendment, but had not been given direction from the governor's office on exactly what this means. They said they are still waiting on clarification themselves and suggested I call back in a week or two.

I know another DA personally and have sent it to him to get his 2 cents.

I guess my point is - do your homework and make sure you know what the law really means. Don't take someone's word on the internet. Although it seems pretty clear to me, I could easily be wrong...

(or go get your carry permit and don't worry about it)

#3696417 - 06/23/14 09:53 AM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: TNReb]
sallee-bo
4 Point

Loc: palmersville tn

This may be a stupid question but if you DO have a permit to carry, wouldn't it also include in your vehicle? If so, it seems like they wouldn't need this amendment.
#3696420 - 06/23/14 09:55 AM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: TNReb]
SilverFox
12 Point

Loc: Kodak TN

Off subject...

Unless something has changed in the last few years, carrying in your vehicle in SC is legal as long as its in the glove box. It can be loaded and the box did not need to be locked. You also could carry a rifle/shotgun in your vehicle loaded and not in a case.

Going to and from hunting or fishing you could carry on your person a loaded handgun also.

When I was younger I got stopped several times with loaded weapons. I just made them aware of it when they walked up. Never had any problems even without a permit.

#3696457 - 06/23/14 10:22 AM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: TNReb]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

I've spoken to a local LEO and he said to his knowledge, this didn't mean that you could carry a handgun in a vehicle without a permit. He asked another local LEO, and that officer said the same thing. I even showed him the text of the amendment and the piece of TCA code, and he still wasn't sure.

I contacted the local District Attorney's office and they said they had never heard of this amendment and that I should contact the Department of Safety.

I contacted them, and they said they were aware of this amendment, but had not been given direction from the governor's office on exactly what this means. They said they are still waiting on clarification themselves and suggested I call back in a week or two.

I guess my point is - do your homework and make sure you know what the law really means. Don't take someone's word on the internet. Although it seems pretty clear to me, I could easily be wrong...

This is what bothers me about our laws. They are so vague that the very people who are supposed to enforce them don't really know or agree on what they mean. I find it hard to trust that even judges could agree on what is legal and what is not. How is the average citizen supposed to know what they can do?

#3696462 - 06/23/14 10:24 AM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: Hunter 257W]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

so your saying i can carry it in my truck now without a permit....Sweet

\:\)

John 3:16

#3696530 - 06/23/14 11:42 AM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: REN]
biglefty20
10 Point

I think Florida has something like a 3 step rule with no permit... Have to have empty then Mag in, load, safety I think would be 3 steps

I could be wrong but I vaguely remember something like this

#3696545 - 06/23/14 11:57 AM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: REN]
TNReb
Formally known as Nyper
16 Point

Originally Posted By: REN
so your saying i can carry it in my truck now without a permit....Sweet

\:\)

You can do whatever you want. Just don't call me to come get you out of jail. \:\)

#3696558 - 06/23/14 12:10 PM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: TNReb]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

what???? You said I could so thats what I'm going with and YOU better answer the phone if its ringing buddy

Edited by REN (06/23/14 01:57 PM)

John 3:16

#3696578 - 06/23/14 12:41 PM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: TNReb]
KENBOB10
16 Point

Well, well well. Hmmm. Kinda what I posted to start with. ;\)

#3696615 - 06/23/14 01:27 PM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: KENBOB10]
Brisco Darlin
10 Point

Loc: East Tn.

Well, well well. Hmmm. Kinda what I posted to start with. ;\)
\:D you mean i can't trust the tndeer attorneys for legal advice.

#3696620 - 06/23/14 01:39 PM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: REN]
in the dog house!
16 Point

Loc: west tn

Originally Posted By: REN
what???? I said I could so thats what I'm going with and YOU better answer the phone if its ringing buddy

\:D \:D \:D

Μολων λαβε

#3696800 - 06/23/14 06:35 PM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: in the dog house!]
Bowdacious
Skillet
16 Point

Loc: over here

I hav tried to figure out the wording so I can answer the question in class. It's a bit confusing, so I suggested that my students contact the Dept. of Safety to get the correct answer.

There is a difference between being proud and being conceited

Beware the skillet ---O

#3696940 - 06/23/14 09:57 PM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: Bowdacious]
BlackBelt
10 Point

Loc: SouthWest TN

I remember when this was passed a few months back. It was listed as one of those "what's new in TN this year" type of stories. There was also something about legalizing switchblades for the general public, but I don't remember what that was about. Maybe some of you 'knife guys' know more about that and can chime in.
#3697024 - 06/24/14 06:40 AM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: BlackBelt]
JoeVaquero
4 Point

Loc: West Tn

Can't you already carry in your vehicle if you have a permit? What are they changing?
#3697029 - 06/24/14 06:47 AM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: JoeVaquero]
Grizzly Johnson
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

If it's good for the government and the people in office it's good for the people.... do what you want and don't worry about the laws. They seem to be setting the examples for us citizens right!?

Too many laws now, too many laws with wording you have to be a legal expert to understand them, and many are vague and can be made to mean whatever the judges feel like ruling on.

#3697043 - 06/24/14 07:15 AM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

That's the sad truth.

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3697047 - 06/24/14 07:21 AM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: JoeVaquero]
Bowdacious
Skillet
16 Point

Originally Posted By: JoeVaquero
Can't you already carry in your vehicle if you have a permit? What are they changing?

Yes, you can. That's why I am trying to figure out what this law changes. As for knives, there are no illegal knives in TN after July 1st. That one was easy to interpret. \:\)

Beware the skillet ---O

#3697057 - 06/24/14 07:37 AM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: Bowdacious]
The_Utility_Dude
8 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

[color:#FF0000]
 Originally Posted By: Bowdacious
 Originally Posted By: JoeVaquero

Yes, you can. That's why I am trying to figure out what this law changes. As for knives, there are no illegal knives in TN after July 1st. That one was easy to interpret. \:\)

What this law changes is that a person that does not have a concealed carry permit can now carry a loaded handgun in their car.

I'm assuming this interpretation to be correct since you could already carry in your vehicle with a permit.

#3699136 - 06/27/14 12:49 PM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: The_Utility_Dude]
TNReb
Formally known as Nyper
16 Point

I finally heard back from the Department of Safety.

They confirmed - as of July 1, anyone who lawfully owns a handgun can keep it (loaded) in their personal vehicle without a handgun carry permit.

#3699216 - 06/27/14 02:27 PM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: TNReb]
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Loc: Clinton, TN

Nyper, I'm sending you a pm with email address. If they sent you that email, I want a copy of it to carry in my vehicle.

#3699396 - 06/27/14 08:56 PM Re: TN law regarding carrying guns in vehicle [Re: JeepKuntry]
Bowdacious
Skillet
16 Point

Originally Posted By: JeepKuntry
Nyper, I'm sending you a pm with email address. If they sent you that email, I want a copy of it to carry in my vehicle.

Could you pm a copy to me, too so I give the correct information in class? It does make sense being that the castle doctrine covers you in your dwelling and vehicle and the castle doctrine isn't just for permit holders.

Beware the skillet ---O

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (MickThompson, H1234, rbreedi1, MachDR, BellaBleu, 1 invisible) and 79 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.