Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: landman
 Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: TAFKAP
Whats the Big Deal of hunting PI anyway?

Very large deer that see very little hunting pressure. Couple that with such a close proximity to a major city....

So what your saying is every one wants to hunt there cause the bucks are bigger due to limited amount of them being killed

High density of deer, very low hunting pressure not only on the island itself, but the immediate area which is mixed industrial, agriculture, flood plain and residential (state park and golf course, too). Plenty of food, cover and lack of pressure with area genetics that tend to produce mass.

So TN can raise bigger bucks if you limit the number
of bucks killed......Didn't think that could happen

I doubt the bucks are much "bigger" then anywhere else in the surrounding area. But there is a high density of deer (I think it may have been estimated at 100 deer per square mike at one point), therefore there are more bucks. With very limited pressure (less than 30 bucks killed a year), there are more "big" bucks than your average property. But, having thought about it for a few years and having hunted on several of the management hunts, I believe the allure is the exclusivity of the access as much asit is any other factor. PI is no magical place. It's ugly, polluted, stinky, nasty, and mosquito infested. The buck success rate is far less than 50%. I see no need to apply the management or access practices to any other WMA, much less statewide.

PI: it's cool in someways, but WAY overrated in other ways and certainly has it's on set of problems and shortcomings as a management area. It is what it is.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3690086 - 06/12/14 08:50 PM Re: Presidents Island [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

I wouldn't eat anything that walked on President's Island, that's for sure.

#3690110 - 06/12/14 09:18 PM Re: Presidents Island [Re: Poser]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

Loc: on the wings of a snow white d...

Very large deer that see very little hunting pressure. Couple that with such a close proximity to a major city....

So what your saying is every one wants to hunt there cause the bucks are bigger due to limited amount of them being killed

High density of deer, very low hunting pressure not only on the island itself, but the immediate area which is mixed industrial, agriculture, flood plain and residential (state park and golf course, too). Plenty of food, cover and lack of pressure with area genetics that tend to produce mass.

I doubt the bucks are much "bigger" then anywhere else in the surrounding area. But there is a high density of deer (I think it may have been estimated at 100 deer per square mike at one point), therefore there are more bucks. With very limited pressure (less than 30 bucks killed a year), there are more "big" bucks than your average property. But, having thought about it for a few years and having hunted on several of the management hunts, I believe the allure is the exclusivity of the access as much asit is any other factor. PI is no magical place. It's ugly, polluted, stinky, nasty, and mosquito infested. The buck success rate is far less than 50%. I see no need to apply the management or access practices to any other WMA, much less statewide.

PI: it's cool in someways, but WAY overrated in other ways and certainly has it's on set of problems and shortcomings as a management area. It is what it is.

the pictures that I have from PI are freaking crazy, game cameras from a few years back

Living somewhere between this world and the other, Legends of the Fall

#3690137 - 06/12/14 09:51 PM Re: Presidents Island [Re: Chaneylake]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

I think my group ha 7 points...maybe 8??? I sort of hope not to get drawn or another year. The flooding set the place back somewhat.

#3690328 - 06/13/14 08:25 AM Re: Presidents Island [Re: Poser]
muddyboots
12 Point

Loc: savannah, tn., usa

content Online

PI is magical. I wasn't there 10 minutes and I knew I was in oz.

#3691190 - 06/14/14 12:21 PM Re: Presidents Island [Re: muddyboots]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

I have 7points going into the draw, maybe one day in the near future I will luck up and draw. I have searched for the points breakdown but cannot find them, does anyone know the thread they are listed on or know the breakdown?

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3691204 - 06/14/14 01:12 PM Re: Presidents Island [Re: AT Hiker]
muddyboots
12 Point

content Online
I have them at hiker. Pm me ur cell number and I'll text u a pic.

#3691223 - 06/14/14 02:16 PM Re: Presidents Island [Re: muddyboots]
muddyboots
12 Point

content Online
Ill jsut post the numbers.

9 points = 11 people
8 points = 101 people
7 points = 226 people
6 points = 261 people
5 p0ints = 297 people
4 points = 413 people
3 points = 635 people
2 points = 1742 people
1 point = 14,663 people
0 point = 56, 360

#3691264 - 06/14/14 03:51 PM Re: Presidents Island [Re: TnBob]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

Originally Posted By: TnBob
PLENTY of armadillos to.

What are the trophy regs on them? \:\)

#3691536 - 06/15/14 06:28 AM Re: Presidents Island [Re: TN Whitetail Freak]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: TN Whitetail Freak
Every wma/ public land should have 9 pt rule

different argument for a different thread. i prefer NO ANTLER RESTRICTIONS!!!

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

Page 5 of 9 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
80 registered (gasman, BlountArrow, Mr.Bro, golfnfish, TDW05, DaveB, 12 invisible) and 128 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93399 Topics
1090554 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.111 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.