Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3680786 - 05/30/14 04:38 PM best batteries for the trail cameras
416wbymag
8 Point

Loc: Hardin Valley

looks like I need to pick up about 50 AA batteries tomorrow I'm thinking Duracell but wanted to see what you guys use in your trail cameras

But it takes a bigger man to make him cry.

#3680814 - 05/30/14 05:42 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: 416wbymag]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

What's best DEPENDS on a variety of factors, including time of year, cam locations, and what's best for one person may not be for another.

From mid-October on thru winter, I'm partial to lithium batteries, simply because they are THE most reliable (especially in cold weather), and I can count on them to last on thru winter. I don't want to spend any time changing trail cam batteries during deer season. They can last for years, although I don't want to use them past mid-October when they're approaching a year of use.

While lithiums are initially much more expensive at the point of purchase, they can sometimes save you money should they save you a tank or two of gas over the course of a year. They will save you time, sometimes valuable time during deer season.

That said, I use regular alkaline Duracell in many cams, as consider them a good value and good balance between cost & reliability.

But I also use rechargeable batteries the most during the summer months. Sometimes shelving those lithiums that haven't been out but 4 to 6 months, then using the rechargeables during the summer months when the most pics will be taken (over salt licks), put those lithiums back in in October.

IMO, an "investment" in rechargeable batteries will save you money in the long run, and you can replace them in any cam when it's convenient for you, rather than trying to "time" when your batteries are almost used up, but not dead. With regular non-rechargeable Duracells, the dilemma is often, do I replace them now that I'm here when they still have a third their use showing, or do I replace them now to insure they're not dead before I come back?

One factor that should be considered is that non-working cams (due to depleted batteries) greatly increase the cost per day you paid for your batteries. Longer lasting, more reliable batteries often save you in ways not so obvious at the point of purchase price point. This is where the lithiums shine, especially if they save you a special trip or two over the year (gas & time saved).

#3680817 - 05/30/14 05:44 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Wes Parrish]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

While there are many good places to order batteries online, the best more local place I've found is Sam's (and I would assume Costco). Quite a bit cheaper than Walmart.
#3680934 - 05/30/14 09:04 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Wes Parrish]
Thicketmaster
4 Point

Loc: eads,tn

Copper tops are the best I think/ last the longest

#3681125 - 05/31/14 08:12 AM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Thicketmaster]
ruthunter
6 Point

Loc: Desoto County, MS

Energizer AA lithium is what I use, but used to use duracell.
#3681132 - 05/31/14 08:24 AM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: ruthunter]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

I guess I should be more technical, too, in exactly which lithiums I'm using (and purchase at Sam's):
Energizer Ultimate Lithium.
On their packaging, they claim "Lasts up to 9x longer in digital cameras."

I don't believe you'll get 9x more life from them, but you should get at least 3x the life on these compared to most alkaline batteries such as Duracell copper tops. That substantial extra "life" makes them comparable in cost, but where they really can save you time and money is in not having to check the cams as often because of battery concerns/replacements.

With the trend of using more cellular cams (where a visit to the cam to see the pics is needed less often), I can see more of us switching over to exclusively using lithiums.

#3681139 - 05/31/14 08:37 AM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Thicketmaster]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Thicketmaster
Copper tops are the best I think/ last the longest

Among the alkalines, they have long been my favorite. Just note that any battery can be or go bad. I've had brand new "Copper tops" that were bad. I use a Tenergy Model T333 battery checker (carry in my cam trap pack) to check all new batteries.

Duracell also came out last year with an alkaline battery (has lots of red color on it) they call "QUANTUM" claimed to be better (and more expensive) than their Coppertops. I've loaded three cams with these and can't say I could tell any obvious difference in longevity, and don't believe they're worth the extra cost.

#3681146 - 05/31/14 09:03 AM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

For AAs, I don't use anything but Energizer Ultimate Lithiums. Well worth the extra upfront cost in dependability and longevity.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3681260 - 05/31/14 05:51 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: BSK]
FIREMANJIM
4 Point

Loc: DECHERD, TN

Sanyo Eneloops!!! PERIOD. Low self discharge rechargeable batteries. LASTS FOREVER!!!

#3681440 - 06/01/14 06:16 AM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: FIREMANJIM]
416wbymag
8 Point

Loc: Hardin Valley

Thanks so much for all the information guys. I have picked up some of the energizer ultimate lithium. Man those things are pricey...

I am going to put them up side by side the Ray-o-vac Pros for comparison.

I can get 48 of the Ray o vacs for the price of 8 of the lithiums.

But it takes a bigger man to make him cry.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, gtk, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
96 registered (Unicam, Coldone, Football Hunter, ratsnakeboogy, eddie c, Dan24, 13 invisible) and 143 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89325 Topics
1044657 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.289 seconds in which 0.016 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.