Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3680786 - 05/30/14 04:38 PM best batteries for the trail cameras
416wbymag
8 Point

Loc: Hardin Valley

looks like I need to pick up about 50 AA batteries tomorrow I'm thinking Duracell but wanted to see what you guys use in your trail cameras

But it takes a bigger man to make him cry.

#3680814 - 05/30/14 05:42 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: 416wbymag]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

What's best DEPENDS on a variety of factors, including time of year, cam locations, and what's best for one person may not be for another.

From mid-October on thru winter, I'm partial to lithium batteries, simply because they are THE most reliable (especially in cold weather), and I can count on them to last on thru winter. I don't want to spend any time changing trail cam batteries during deer season. They can last for years, although I don't want to use them past mid-October when they're approaching a year of use.

While lithiums are initially much more expensive at the point of purchase, they can sometimes save you money should they save you a tank or two of gas over the course of a year. They will save you time, sometimes valuable time during deer season.

That said, I use regular alkaline Duracell in many cams, as consider them a good value and good balance between cost & reliability.

But I also use rechargeable batteries the most during the summer months. Sometimes shelving those lithiums that haven't been out but 4 to 6 months, then using the rechargeables during the summer months when the most pics will be taken (over salt licks), put those lithiums back in in October.

IMO, an "investment" in rechargeable batteries will save you money in the long run, and you can replace them in any cam when it's convenient for you, rather than trying to "time" when your batteries are almost used up, but not dead. With regular non-rechargeable Duracells, the dilemma is often, do I replace them now that I'm here when they still have a third their use showing, or do I replace them now to insure they're not dead before I come back?

One factor that should be considered is that non-working cams (due to depleted batteries) greatly increase the cost per day you paid for your batteries. Longer lasting, more reliable batteries often save you in ways not so obvious at the point of purchase price point. This is where the lithiums shine, especially if they save you a special trip or two over the year (gas & time saved).

#3680817 - 05/30/14 05:44 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Wes Parrish]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

While there are many good places to order batteries online, the best more local place I've found is Sam's (and I would assume Costco). Quite a bit cheaper than Walmart.
#3680934 - 05/30/14 09:04 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Wes Parrish]
Thicketmaster
4 Point

Loc: eads,tn

Copper tops are the best I think/ last the longest

#3681125 - 05/31/14 08:12 AM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Thicketmaster]
ruthunter
6 Point

Loc: Desoto County, MS

Energizer AA lithium is what I use, but used to use duracell.
#3681132 - 05/31/14 08:24 AM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: ruthunter]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

I guess I should be more technical, too, in exactly which lithiums I'm using (and purchase at Sam's):
Energizer Ultimate Lithium.
On their packaging, they claim "Lasts up to 9x longer in digital cameras."

I don't believe you'll get 9x more life from them, but you should get at least 3x the life on these compared to most alkaline batteries such as Duracell copper tops. That substantial extra "life" makes them comparable in cost, but where they really can save you time and money is in not having to check the cams as often because of battery concerns/replacements.

With the trend of using more cellular cams (where a visit to the cam to see the pics is needed less often), I can see more of us switching over to exclusively using lithiums.

#3681139 - 05/31/14 08:37 AM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Thicketmaster]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Thicketmaster
Copper tops are the best I think/ last the longest

Among the alkalines, they have long been my favorite. Just note that any battery can be or go bad. I've had brand new "Copper tops" that were bad. I use a Tenergy Model T333 battery checker (carry in my cam trap pack) to check all new batteries.

Duracell also came out last year with an alkaline battery (has lots of red color on it) they call "QUANTUM" claimed to be better (and more expensive) than their Coppertops. I've loaded three cams with these and can't say I could tell any obvious difference in longevity, and don't believe they're worth the extra cost.

#3681146 - 05/31/14 09:03 AM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

For AAs, I don't use anything but Energizer Ultimate Lithiums. Well worth the extra upfront cost in dependability and longevity.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3681260 - 05/31/14 05:51 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: BSK]
FIREMANJIM
6 Point

Loc: DECHERD, TN

Sanyo Eneloops!!! PERIOD. Low self discharge rechargeable batteries. LASTS FOREVER!!!

#3681440 - 06/01/14 06:16 AM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: FIREMANJIM]
416wbymag
8 Point

Loc: Hardin Valley

Thanks so much for all the information guys. I have picked up some of the energizer ultimate lithium. Man those things are pricey...

I am going to put them up side by side the Ray-o-vac Pros for comparison.

I can get 48 of the Ray o vacs for the price of 8 of the lithiums.

But it takes a bigger man to make him cry.

#3681669 - 06/01/14 05:58 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: 416wbymag]
rem270
18 Point

Loc: south fulton

I will only run Energizer Max or Duracell. All my cams use AA's. I can get 5-7k pics during the cold months and still have life left.

Its not what happens in life, but how you react to it that matters.

#3681775 - 06/01/14 09:49 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: rem270]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

If you bought Energizer Ultimate Lithiums in the store, you probably paid too much. Buy them in bulk on Amazon.com to get the lowest price per battery.

#3681811 - 06/01/14 11:31 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: 416wbymag]
CAW
6 Point

Loc: Huntsville, AL

Energizer Ultimate Lithiums. Worth the extra money for sure.

Don't just look at the price of the batteries. Look at all the other expenses involved in running cameras - your time, gas or maybe going to check a camera only to find out it died 2 weeks ago and you have no fresh data. That is the worst.

It's no different than the price of cameras. You get what you pay for.

#3682067 - 06/02/14 12:11 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: ruthunter]
drrxnupe
6 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN & Oxford, MS

Originally Posted By: ruthunter
Energizer AA lithium is what I use, but used to use duracell.

me too

#3682772 - 06/03/14 12:53 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Vermin93]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Vermin93
If you bought Energizer Ultimate Lithiums in the store, you probably paid too much. Buy them in bulk on Amazon.com to get the lowest price per battery.

Thanks Vermin93. Good source.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3682774 - 06/03/14 12:56 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: 416wbymag]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: 416wbymag

They ARE expensive. But I get almost a year out of them in all my cameras that use AAs. I've seen most brands of standard AAs run dead in 2-4 weeks.

#3682825 - 06/03/14 01:55 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: BSK]
Vermin93
12 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK

8-pack at Walmart = $16.84 or $2.11 each

Prices on Amazon change frequently. These are current prices.

8-pack with Amazon Prime = $15.50 or $1.94 each
8-pack without Amazon Prime = $13.52 or $1.69 each

12-pack with Amazon Prime = $21.99 or $1.83 each
12-pack without Amazon Prime = $19.88 or $1.66 each

20-pack with Amazon Prime = $34.89 or $1.75 each
20-pack without Amazon Prime = $34.35 or $1.72 each

24 pack with Amazon Prime = $42.91 or $1.78 each
24 pack without Amazon Prime = $40.96 or $1.71 each

36-pack with Amazon Prime = $59.55 or $1.65 each
36-pack without Amazon Prime = $56.85 or $1.58 each

#3682858 - 06/03/14 02:33 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Vermin93]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

. . . . .
12-pack with Amazon Prime = $21.99 or $1.83 each
12-pack without Amazon Prime = $19.88 or $1.66 each
. . . . .

Thanks Vermin93.
And of you want them today and are close to a Sam's:
. . . .
12-pack from Sam's = $19.98 or $1.67 each

#3683062 - 06/03/14 07:32 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Wes Parrish]
Turd Farmer
6 Point

Loc: Delano,TN

Duracell's for me. I work there.

#3683098 - 06/03/14 08:35 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Turd Farmer]
Vermin93
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Turd Farmer
Duracell's for me. I work there.

When is Duracell going to produce a Lithium AA to compete with Energizer? I don't understand what they are waiting for. Does Energizer have the technology patented or something? We sure could use some price competition.

#3683718 - 06/04/14 05:21 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Vermin93]
Turd Farmer
6 Point

http://professional.duracell.com/en/ultra-lithium

Doesn't look like you can buy in USA. idk

Edited by Turd Farmer (06/04/14 05:25 PM)

#3683723 - 06/04/14 05:29 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Turd Farmer]
Turd Farmer
6 Point

They are on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p...cat=0&_from=R40

#3683990 - 06/05/14 01:44 AM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Turd Farmer]
Vermin93
12 Point

Those Duracell Lithiums are like $8 per AA battery! That's nuts!

#3684560 - 06/05/14 05:40 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Vermin93]
Turd Farmer
6 Point

Vermin93 your inbox is full.

#3684580 - 06/05/14 06:28 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Turd Farmer]
Turd Farmer
6 Point

I just post it here.

I ask today at work and the plant that makes AA(Lancaster, SC) and the plant that makes AAA(Lagrange, GA) are converting lines to make rechargeable lithium batteries. May take a while but it is coming.

#3689401 - 06/12/14 07:51 AM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Turd Farmer]
Rick Dillard
4 Point

Loc: Gluckstadt, MS

Utilitech alkaline AA batteries from Lowe's are the best bang for the buck that I have found. When purchased online in bulk, it is hard to beat their prices. A pack of 100 AA alkaline batteries cost $22.97. These batteries work as well as Duracell or Energizers for a lot less cost.
#3689666 - 06/12/14 12:22 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Vermin93]
drrxnupe
6 Point

For me that's a steal. I'm running 4 cellular cams on my farm which is 4.5 hours away. Lithiums are the way to go because regular alkalines last barely 3-4 weeks, maybe a month sometimes. That's cause the cell cams are snapping pics and texting/emailing them to 5 different people.

#3689698 - 06/12/14 12:54 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: drrxnupe]
Vermin93
12 Point

Originally Posted By: drrxnupe

For me that's a steal. I'm running 4 cellular cams on my farm which is 4.5 hours away. Lithiums are the way to go because regular alkalines last barely 3-4 weeks, maybe a month sometimes. That's cause the cell cams are snapping pics and texting/emailing them to 5 different people.

$8 per AA battery is not a steal. It's nut.

I assume you are using Energizer Lithiums and not paying anywhere near $8 a battery for them.

#3689761 - 06/12/14 02:17 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Vermin93]
drrxnupe
6 Point

Originally Posted By: drrxnupe

$8 per AA battery is not a steal. It's nut.

I assume you are using Energizer Lithiums and not paying anywhere near $8 a battery for them.

Yeah you're right...i thought u wrote $8 per pack. $8 per battery is insane.

#3690160 - 06/12/14 10:26 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: BSK]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

Originally Posted By: 416wbymag

They ARE expensive. But I get almost a year out of them in all my cameras that use AAs. I've seen most brands of standard AAs run dead in 2-4 weeks.

I BOUGHT AN m80 Moultrie a few years back and the first time I used it I placed rayovacs in it from Wal-Mart and when I turned it on I heard it make a funny sound and wondered why it made a sound at all but I went ahead and put the cam on the tree and waited for 30 days and returned to find it had only made 7 pics and quit!!!.......I opened it up, it took 8 AA's and to my surprise found the battery compartment contaminated with a blackish grey substance from at least one of the batteries....nothing looked ruined so I cleaned it as best as I could with a baking soda solution but it didn't matter.....it was fried. They made good on it but even the one they sent me only lasted just past the warranty period..........needless to say the M-80 was a total flop for Moultrie, as the girl in customer service said it wouldn't be worth my time for an attempted repair. They have been making cams for a long time but they flopped with that worthless piece and I noticed they change that model from m 80 to 880 after only a couple of years in production. I was never more disappointed in my life.....I wasn't sure it was the cams fault or the batteries, but I suspect the sound I heard the first time I turned it on was something failing in the electrical components...........just my opinion.

#3703577 - 07/05/14 09:30 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Wes Parrish]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

I am with Wes.............and on another note I read a rep from Moultrie said stay away from private label batteries, for they are the ones that leak, and you almost never hear of that from Duracell,and energizer...........Duracell's get my vote and that comes from about 9 years or so of use.

#3704038 - 07/06/14 08:37 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: Boone 58]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

A second vote for Sanyo Eneloop rechargables.

Thats all we use in our professional photo flash gear.

They last about 2x as long as a pack of fresh duracells before needing recharging. They don't self discharge prior to use.

And the best part, you can get about 50 recharges out of them before they loose any of their life. After that they diminish to about the same as standard duracells. Another 30 or so recharges and they are about as good as regular energizers. At that point we retire them to flashlight use around the house.

Saves us TONS of money throughout the year.
Sams/costco often carry them or you can order them online.

Only drawback is that the case diameter of the batteries is SLIGHTLY larger than a standard AA. About the same as if you put a wrap or two of electrical tape around a regular battery.
The only thing I have that they wont fit into is an LED spotlight but if you have a super tight battery compartment it might cause trouble.

#3709732 - 07/14/14 12:56 PM Re: best batteries for the trail cameras [Re: fishboy1]
LSUtigers
8 Point

Loc: East TN

Duracell for me. Weirdiest thing, pulled cam Sat. morn with 48 pics, had good pics, but no animals on them. \:\(
Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, gtk, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
16 registered (adirondack46r, ghosthunter, philburr, Ken45, bigluresonly, mjac, 1 invisible) and 57 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
91003 Topics
1063445 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.061 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.