Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#367824 - 08/27/07 08:55 PM My best hunting experience - EVER!
BucknBass
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN USA

The grill is heating up!

My wife accompanied me on this trip so it started out special as she's never come with me before. She doesn't hunt, or even eat the meat but it was nice having her on the trip.

I'll fast forward to Saturday although we saw some awesome and unusual storms on Thursday and Friday. I'll include some pics of this.

Saturday morning started with me on a section block, Tim in a Canyon and Carlos in the South pasture. We had THICK fog and couldn't see past 100 yards for over 30 minutes. Finally the fog lifted and we were able to begin hunting. I brought my 4-wheeler and started down a road.

I went maybe 1/4 mile before I spotted 3 bucks. One was walking from left to right and the other two were to my right - all about 700+ yards away. I looked at all of them through my bino's and the one walking was the biggest. The other two appeared to be much smaller. I couldn't gauge really how big the walking buck was through the bino's and almost left him alone but decided since I brought a spotting scope I might as well use it. Boy am I glad I did.

Through the spotting scope I could see he was tall and had heart shaped symmetrical horns. He was absolutely beautiful. I decided right then that I'd spend the day stalking him if necessary but he was the one I wanted to take home. The chase began as I started up the road on foot.

He continued walking to my right and went out of sight below a slight hill. I thought this would be my chance to make up some ground until a group of Doe's to my direct right started running toward the buck and then took him with them. He changed directions and began going to my left. For over an hour he wouldn't let me get within 400 yards and then start running. I was moving slowly so there were times when he would stop and feed only to bust me again and move off.

These animals have incredible eyesight and are very spooky. Several times I lay down and got on the rifle with bipod only to see that the grass was too high and I ad no shot opportunity. I would have to find a high spot to take a shot. I managed to find the perfect spot but by this time he had walked down by the road 500 yards away. I couldn't shoot in that direction so I made a game plan to cut him off and bump him back to the right where I could shoot.

He had 3 Doe's with him and it worked like a charm except when they bumped they ran and kept on going. I walked slowly to my mound and got into the prone position. The 'lopes were on the other side of a small swale and I could see their heads and backs but that was it. They fed for 6 or 7 minutes like this and finally moved up where I could see their bodies. My buck stayed either quartering hard to or away from me for another 5 or more minutes. I was on the rifle the entire time and my neck really started to hurt.

Finally, he stood broadside. I steadied the rifle and put the crosshairs just behind his shoulder. I couldn't get a range on him but I figured 350 or so and can shoot straight on out to 400 with this rifle. I began pulling back on the crunchy trigger (that's getting replaced this weekend) and before it broke he quartered hard away. I let off and waited some more. He did the same thing to me one more time. I was going crazy!

After the third time praying that I would make a killing shot when I got the chance he gave me the shot. I put it in the right spot and the trigger broke. When I got back on the scope - nothing! All of them were standing in the same spot looking around to see where the noise came from. OK, let me try this again. Same scenario and result. Both shots felt great so I knew they were farther out and my bullet was hitting short.

My gun is a 2-shot due to the length of the round so I put one more in the chamber manually. I steadied the scope 7-8 inches above his back and took the shot. For the first time ever I heard the bullet hit. When I got back on the scope he ran to the left 25 yards, hooked back to the right and fell over.

I completely lost my composure. The whole experience was the most incredible of my life. Prior to last year I had never killed an animal past 200 yards. Last year it was 300 and I knew this was much farther. I called Tim on the cell phone and know I sounded like a babbling idiot.

I walked 400 steps and looked around for my buck. He was no where to be found. Another 100 steps to 500 and still no buck. After another 50 or so I started scanning around in a circle and saw him laying 75 or so yards to my right. I was beside myself when I walked up to him. He had a big body and a fantastic set of horns. Oh, and he has ivory tips. The one thing I wanted more than anything else if it was possible. I stood there in awe until I grabbed the rangefinder and determined that he was laying 563 yards from where I shot. I had just killed this magnificent animal at approximately 550 yards!

Words can't describe my feelings last Saturday or my gratitude to my friend Tim for introducing me to Antelope hunting and long range shooting. He's in the freezer and I'm about to enjoy some backstrap. Here are a few pics for you to enjoy.

Here's my beautiful buck:

Picture of his headgear:

Edge of hail storm you're about to see:

Hail:

#367867 - 08/27/07 09:09 PM Re: My best hunting experience - EVER! [Re: BucknBass]
paincave_2000
10 Point

Loc: Bedford Co.

Very cool hunt,and wicked hail storm.

#367882 - 08/27/07 09:19 PM Re: My best hunting experience - EVER! [Re: paincave_2000]
remke
12 Point

Loc: A Pleasant View

congrats

#367959 - 08/27/07 09:57 PM Re: My best hunting experience - EVER! [Re: remke]
TiminTN
12 Point

Loc: Memphis,Tennessee U.S.A.

Beautiful buck, once again. The experience you describe makes me remember some of the earlier hunts and how much they meant. It truly is a humbling experience, and a remarkable sence of achievement to see that many steps from a shooting position.

Pam and I were in the middle of the hail storm and luckily pulled over as it began hailing. After 10/15 minutes we pulled back onto the highway to see the amazing amount of hail that fell. I am glad I wasn`t one of the unlucky folks who lost windshields and ruined sheet metal. This was the most severe weather I have ever been in.

#367976 - 08/27/07 10:02 PM Re: My best hunting experience - EVER! [Re: ]
BucknBass
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN USA

Rifle was Rem 700 Sendero 7MM STW

Bipod was Harris swivel type

Bullet was 140 Accubond

Load was 81.5gr of 7828SSC

All recommended by Tim.

I'm a good listener!

#367978 - 08/27/07 10:02 PM Re: My best hunting experience - EVER! [Re: ]
statelineRUT
10 Point

Loc: Michie, TN

Very cool.

#368007 - 08/27/07 10:14 PM Re: My best hunting experience - EVER! [Re: statelineRUT]
vonb
6 Point

Loc: TN

Nice pics...Hail do any damage to vehicles?
#368045 - 08/27/07 10:27 PM Re: My best hunting experience - EVER! [Re: statelineRUT]
Tiny
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Super & Congrats.
Excellant After Action Report.

God Answers Prayers Yes No or Not Yet

#368384 - 08/28/07 08:00 AM Re: My best hunting experience - EVER! [Re: Tiny]
Gravey
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford / Wilson County Lin...

Congrats and great story.

#368417 - 08/28/07 08:28 AM Re: My best hunting experience - EVER! [Re: Gravey]
Hillbilly Hunter
Killbilly
16 Point

Loc: Branchville

Awesome trip! Congrats!

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
57 registered (JDP, Stumpy74, infoman jr., dogman, Bigmonts, eweisner, 7 invisible) and 100 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93196 Topics
1088520 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.11 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.