Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3637640 - 04/06/14 11:37 PM Re: Youth Contest Pics & Story Here. [Re: Thicketmaster]
Thicketmaster
4 Point

Loc: eads,tn

Youth Entry #9

TY'S BIRD!!!!

After my son killed one I texted my buddy they said they haven't heard a thing and hes got a hurt foot can't hardly walk good so I said come meet me with Ty I finally got Ty about 9:30 and it was about 10:30 before we got back to where I was hunting we slowly went from ridge to ridge looking for some response finally about 12 we got one to gobbling we worked him awhile but he wouldn't move we were on one ridge and he was on another its so open I think he was looking to see the hen so we backed off made a good half mile circle and got on the same ridge he was on got about 300 yards from where he had been gobbling and he wouldn't answer? So we kept getting closer till we were in the same spot he was gobbling sat down made a soft yelp and he cut me off with a gobble straight across the ridge were we had been earlier!!! I told Ty if he will cross the holler once he will do it again so we started working him he got all fired up I could barley purr as soft as I could make a noise on the call and he would hammer back from 300 yards I was astounded at how well he could hear! I started scratching in the leaves and he would gobble so I shut up!! In about 10/15 min he got closer and his gobbling became more intense! I told Ty get your gun up I think he's coming 5 silent minutes went by and I could hear him walking he came over a small rise in half strutt and Ty introduced him to his browning gold hunter shotgun!! BOOM!!! Bird down!! It was 2:20 and we was 2 miles from my truck that's about the time my other buddy sent the story & pics of his son Dalton's Bird!!!

#3637649 - 04/07/14 12:02 AM Re: Youth Contest Pics & Story Here. [Re: Thicketmaster]
Thicketmaster
4 Point

Youth Entry #10

DALTON'S BIRD!!!

My friend Greg's son Dalton hunted Saturday morning on a bird they had roosted Friday afternoon they got close before daylight and when it got light he had hens gobbled I think he said maybe once flew down with the hens and never said another word! So they went to several different spots finally about 12pm was sitting on a ridge calling and got a gobble from about 200 yards away after a little more calling they got way closer so dalton got the gun up and 3 big strutters walked up with dalton taking the leader out! Boom bird down! Dalton's having one heck of a season hes killed 3 birds in 3 weekends with 2 of them birds coming off public land!!!

#3637650 - 04/07/14 12:07 AM Re: Youth Contest Pics & Story Here. [Re: Thicketmaster]
Thicketmaster
4 Point

Youth Entry #11

Congrats!!!! DALTON YOU'VE HAD A GREAT SEASON!!
Dalton's triple!!! 3 Saturdays 3 birds!!!

#3667506 - 05/10/14 09:59 PM Re: Youth Contest Pics & Story Here. [Re: Thicketmaster]
mountin whitetails
4 Point

Loc: Monterey Mountain

Youth Entry #12

Very proud of this little girl showed a lot of patience and drive for a nine year old. She has hunted hard for 3 seasons and came close several times. The morning she got this jake we worked 2 long beards for over 2 hours. When the toms finally commit to come in, 5 jakes showed up when they were 50 yards out. The jakes started chasing to toms around in circles. The toms finally broke away and came by at a fast walk passing by us at around 35 yards. I felt this was to far for a 20 gauge and her first bird. When we looked the direction the toms came from we seen the 5 jakes coming in. At around 30 yards they stop and she picked one out and got a little pay back for them messing up her chance at a long beard.

#3667515 - 05/10/14 10:13 PM Re: Youth Contest Pics & Story Here. [Re: mountin whitetails]
mountin whitetails
4 Point

Loc: Monterey Mountain

Youth Entry #13

Addison Oakes took her 5th and best turkey this spring at age 12. It took over a hour to get the tom to come in and when he finally showed up some hens came from behind us to him and kept him just out of range. Finally after almost another 3 hours they came into about 30 yards and she shot him when he came out of strut when 3 hens started fighting.

#3668679 - 05/12/14 04:15 PM Re: Youth Contest Pics & Story Here. [Re: Frank G]
Puckett Creek
4 Point

Loc: Rutherford Co.

Youth Entry #14

First Turkey!

Check out the video of the hunt-
https://vimeo.com/90230314

My son, Decker John is 6 years old and he smoked his first turkey this spring! It was a nice 3 yr old bird with a 10 1/4" beard and 1 1/8" spurs. This past fall, he shot a couple squirrels to include a big ol' fox squirrel, which we had mounted for his birthday.

The planning and practicing to get his first turkey started several weeks prior to the youth opener. I knew we would have a hard time being successful without a pop-up blind (something I've never hunted out of). So we ordered one online from Bass Pro and he could not wait for it to arrive.

Once we received we practicing with it in the back yard. We would set it up and I would place a decoy about 25 yards out. We would go through the routine over and over to make sure when the real Mr. Tom was approaching auto pilot would kick in and there would be no room for error.

When I gave him the nod, he would stand up and I'd place his ear muffs on. He would move into position and I'd get the shotgun ready - using the tent window for a rest. Once he was holding the gun, he knew that that when I slid the trigger to the fire position it was time for him to him to make a good shot.

After aiming the shotgun at the decoy many times, I swapped it out for a Coke can on a limb and we went through the routine with bird shot.... after busting the can time after time I knew was ready!

All week long I went to check fields and we found a gobbler several morning in a row in one of our pastures. I included him in setting up the blind and brushing it in... he loved every bit of it! We were unable to hunt the opening morning, but hunted Sunday morning and everything unfolded perfectly. Decker John was so excited he could hardly stand it..... waking up early, getting his camo on, packing his backpack. He was ready to get a turkey... and man was I excited for him!

The gobbler had roosted exactly where we thought it would be. He started the morning very vocal on the roost, but once his feet hit the ground he went silent. For a moment I thought maybe he went the other way, but then all of the sudden he entered our field and started making his way to us in full strut. I couldn't have asked for a better display as he quickly approached our decoys! The ole Tom actually got a bit closer than I had hoped, but all the practice paid off as Decker John made a great shot!

I believe that all the rehearsing is what made getting the shot off work so smoothly. It was a very special hunt - one that I will remember for the rest of my life. We mounted the tail fan, beard and spurs and they proudly hang on Decker John's wall.

He also got two more chances a turkeys this year. He harvested a nice Jake... that actually acted more like a long beard. He came strutting in and gobbling his head off. Then he missed a nice long beard at very close range. The bird was facing us in full strut when he took the shot. I played the video footage back in slow motion and he actually shot a hole right through the tail fan... missing the head by inches! Too tight a pattern for a 12 yrd shot!

I am looking forward to many more turkey hunts w/ my best hunting buddy! I can honestly say it is much more excited to experience Decker John killing a turkey than any gobbler I've taken.

Pictures of his Jake

Southern Family Enjoying "The Good Life"

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bmobrady3, bmo3, chrislee, Patriot123, DT33
13565 Registered Users
Who's Online
31 registered (rem270, BigPete357, Tn Medic, killerford, Patriot123, cdw338, 4 invisible) and 97 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13565 Members
43 Forums
99539 Topics
1171061 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.044 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.