Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3665639 - 05/08/14 01:08 PM Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

It’s entirely possible to chase big, mature, deer (and, yes, even consistently tag them) without losing your soul. So it’s sad that we’ve come to a place where even a relative Pollyanna (me) begins looking at any new, rising star with a hint of built-in skepticism. But there it is—a disturbing commentary on modern whitetail hunting.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/whit...?src=SOC&dom=fb

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3665647 - 05/08/14 01:17 PM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: Poser]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

Kind of interesting. Sure looks like the Pro swapped antlers.

If so, he gets what he deserves.

#3665657 - 05/08/14 01:34 PM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: DaveB]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

I can't believe people would make up such things. They must not have the guilt gene. Heck, I'm embarrassed about the big buck I shot as a guest on a high fence hunt.

#3665676 - 05/08/14 02:03 PM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: Vermin93]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Vermin93
I can't believe people would make up such things. They must not have the guilt gene. Heck, I'm embarrassed about the big buck I shot as a guest on a high fence hunt.

Sounds like he made money off the situation, so I'm guessing his motivation was fortune and fame within the hunting industry.

#3665759 - 05/08/14 03:46 PM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: Poser]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

whelp if I ever shoot a bigun I aint lying about it. If it eats good I will be happy.no need to pump stuff up. Long as my best buddy's/brothers know what happed I'm good

#3665792 - 05/08/14 04:20 PM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: mike243]
Nealmeally
8 Point

Loc: TN

content Online
Read this earlier this morning.. It's a shame!!

Makes you wonder how many more are lied about...

#3666112 - 05/08/14 11:38 PM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: Nealmeally]
Columbia Scott
6 Point

Loc: Columbia, Tennessee

I have a 110" mount, a 115" mount and my biggest a 125". I am proud as I can be of these deer and would not think of embellishing the stories or passing them off as something they are not. This just degrades our sport to inches over experiences.

#3666271 - 05/09/14 08:20 AM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: Columbia Scott]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

People will do alot for money and fame. And like Vermin said, I would be have guilt and be embarrassed if I tried to do that.

The article also talks about how people "rise to the top" and such of the hunting world. Do I think there is skill involved in killing mature bucks? Yes I do, and alot of skill at that. But most of the TV hunting celebs have lucked in to their jobs, or bought their way in by killing multiple mature bucks a year on these big hunting ranches, and claiming that they are good, then getting sponsors and a TV show. Takes money to make money, and the rich get richer.

I don't necassarily like their shows, but there are a few celebs out there that somewhat worked for their star status. Will Primos-game calls; Toxey Haas and Bill Jordon-camoflauge; Dick Kirby-calls; Drury brothers-calls; and a few more. Micheal Waddell some how lucked into being popular just by knowing Bill Jordan. Lee Lakowski, according to reading about him, was a big time legitimite mature buck killer. But what made him famous was his hot wife.

I believe that if I had the manner and means that some of these rich hunters have I could and would be more successful than each of them. But I am happy where I am at, where a nice 2.5 year old basket rack 8 point is hard to come by.

I am like Columbia Scott. I am more proud of the spikes I have killed in the past than I would be of a 190" buck killed on a hunting operation in Texas or the midwest.

Sorry for the rant, but I hate the TV hunting industry.

#3666363 - 05/09/14 10:13 AM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: woodsman87]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Never heard of him but that is a wild story and wilder way to do it.

#3666391 - 05/09/14 10:43 AM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: Vermin93]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: Vermin93
I wouldn't be embarrassed, I just wouldn't brag about it... I thought it was cool that you got to go for free and choot one. Have people at your house see the rack and say "WOW" and then laugh and say Nah, I shot him in a pen. \:D

...since last deer season

#3666506 - 05/09/14 01:08 PM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: catman529]
Snake
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co.Tennessee U.S.

Most of the so called pro hunters have made hunting their career and have took the chance of failing at making a living doing so but given the money , places to hunt , time to do so I do believe a lot of hunters on this site could do what they do . Now most of us can't take the chance of failing because of our loved ones who depend upon us for support so we don't have the gonads to take that plunge . Watch most of the videos and tell me you couldn't kill the deer they are killing if you was put in a spot with a guide knowing your chances are real high at getting a shot at a bruiser they have been watching and growing for their clients . Now I edited this post for one reason and that is this , don't think I was including me when I said some on this site because I would probably get buck fever and miss my chance at some of the big bucks they get to hunt

Edited by Snake (05/09/14 01:14 PM)

#3666519 - 05/09/14 01:16 PM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: Snake]
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Loc: Kingston Springs

content Online
im not nor would i be embarrassed about any animal i shot if i was i wouldn't shoot it

Spending money I dont have

on things I dont need

to impress people I dont know

#3666576 - 05/09/14 02:12 PM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: Deer Assassin]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

interesting what is sad is if a lot of the "pro" hunters actually got investigated a little there is no telling what kind of crap they do. ive never heard of him either. sad imo money corrupts people see it everyday.

#3667453 - 05/10/14 08:46 PM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: catman529]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

I've seen a video faked

Spend your time where you get the most return on it...

#3667693 - 05/11/14 09:36 AM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: catman529]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

i bet there is some tagging law violated during his scam.

#3668427 - 05/12/14 10:45 AM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: catman529]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

What seems strange to me is that he's being accused of swapping the rack from a "found" skull onto a freshly killed buck that he has pictures of just after being shot. Is that feasible that a taxidermist could slap a set of antlers on a buck that fast and make it look natural enough for photographing? It would be akward to do this with a buck that had just been field-dressed and no other processing because you wouldn't be working with a form held on a bench but the entire animal whcih is heavy and trying to fall over as you work on it. I admit the antlers do look the same but it seems a stretch to think he put them on a freshly shot buck........
#3668444 - 05/12/14 11:09 AM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: Hunter 257W]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
What seems strange to me is that he's being accused of swapping the rack from a "found" skull onto a freshly killed buck that he has pictures of just after being shot. Is that feasible that a taxidermist could slap a set of antlers on a buck that fast and make it look natural enough for photographing? It would be akward to do this with a buck that had just been field-dressed and no other processing because you wouldn't be working with a form held on a bench but the entire animal whcih is heavy and trying to fall over as you work on it. I admit the antlers do look the same but it seems a stretch to think he put them on a freshly shot buck........

Maybe he had a full body mount already to go. Threw some antlers on it, snapped a pic, then removed the antlers for scoring.

#3668642 - 05/12/14 03:45 PM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: Poser]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W

Maybe he had a full body mount already to go. Threw some antlers on it, snapped a pic, then removed the antlers for scoring.

Yeah, I thought of that after writing the above post. With the amount of money that can potentially be gained gets high enough, there is always a motive for going to extreme efforts to commit fraud. Having that huge set of antlers from a "found" skull could get a hunter to thinking about how he could get credit for shooting such a buck. Having kill pictures of the deer with antlers intact is the perfect "alibi". If he did that, he's one resourceful crooked hunter. \:\)

#3668762 - 05/12/14 06:14 PM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: Deer Assassin]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

You always hear the pro's saying they couldn't take a shot because the camera didn't have enough light. However, I am not sure I can recall a big deer being killed without video of that deer on camera beforehand. And I am not sure a pro at that level would ever get into a stand without a camera rolling, that's his livelihood.

So, there must be no video or even trailcam pics of this deer and then magically it shows up dead and BTW there's a found rack he purchased that looks amazingly similar. Money and greed.

#3669089 - 05/13/14 08:07 AM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: woodsman87]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: woodsman87
...But I am happy where I am at, where a nice 2.5 year old basket rack 8 point is hard to come by.

...Sorry for the rant, but I hate the TV hunting industry.

Ditto on both of those comments.

I've taken a lot of heat over the years for saying it, but I'll say it again: TV hunting shows are the worst thing to happen to deer hunting in a very long time. And I'll take even more heat for saying this: I find the current rapidly growing trend towards filming hunts to be a deeply disturbing attempt to emulate TV hunting shows and the dubious "fame" of their "stars."

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3669129 - 05/13/14 08:45 AM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: BSK]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Watching the tv hunting shows affected my hunting style two seasons ago a bit I have to say. Normally, if I see a buck I want to take, I get ready, wait for the first available shot, then take it, IF the buck isn't running that is. I decided to try to "stop" a 115" 8 pt two seasons ago during rifle, by making a grunt sound as he was quickly walking thru my shooting lane of choice....he didn't stop, and he was back in the thick brush in an instant. What I'm saying is, I should have just been ready, taken the shot presented as he walked into my shot lane, and been done with it. It's my fault 100%, but I won't be guilty of it again if I can help it. ;\)

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3669270 - 05/13/14 11:46 AM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: MUP]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Some people will do anything for their 15 mins of fame!!! Sad if true and it sure looks like the same rack??
#3670297 - 05/14/14 03:44 PM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: Winchester]
landman
8 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

All this talk about money and greed....

There's only a VERY FEW thats making money if they don't have anything to sell, main reason for Hunting shows, to sell stuff

The ones like this guy and others who don't have anything to sell its mainly about the ego, bragging rights, etc

Knight & Hale sells calls, makes movies and show

This Guy sells.....BS........makes BS

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#3670304 - 05/14/14 03:54 PM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: landman]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: landman

There's only a VERY FEW thats making money if they don't have anything to sell, main reason for Hunting shows, to sell stuff

The ones like this guy and others who don't have anything to sell its mainly about the ego, bragging rights, etc

He got press out of it, then sponsorships and then appearance fees.

#3670493 - 05/14/14 08:03 PM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: Poser]
landman
8 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: landman

He got press out of it, then sponsorships and then appearance fees.

The way most of the smaller guys like him get paid is in merchandise
Exp. Mathews gives bows and stuff not cash, you may get 2 a year, sell one
or sell both your old ones every year

Guess it all depends on what is a lot of money....very few make $20k in cash a year, appearance fees very few get cash

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#3672250 - 05/17/14 10:03 AM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: landman]
pass-thru
10 Point

Loc: va beach

Funny that the "ohiobooners" fiasco was unfolding on AT as this thread was being posted.

I always was very skeptical of that guy and am not surprised at all that he was proven to be a fake.

Statistically, anybody who kills that many bucks that huge and claims to do it in fair chase conditions, is likely a fraud.

#3672428 - 05/17/14 05:11 PM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: pass-thru]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

Originally Posted By: pass-thru

Funny that the "ohiobooners" fiasco was unfolding on AT as this thread was being posted.

I always was very skeptical of that guy and am not surprised at all that he was proven to be a fake.

Statistically, anybody who kills that many bucks that huge and claims to do it in fair chase conditions, is likely a fraud.

I knew from the first post I read from him that he was full of it. It was something like "I think I'm a good guy" so I made a comment about modesty. Thn I knew he was a liar when he said he scouted over 300 days a year. Nobody scouts that much.

I do, however, disagree with your last statement. I'm going to hurt feelings by saying this, but killing big bucks isn't hard at all. Many of your TV hunters and even rich guys with huge trophy rooms are doing it legally and fair chase. All it takes is money whether you are buying a huge farm to do it or practically just pulling the trigger on a deer your outfitter hunted for you. A lot of people in places like Saskatchewan kill a 170+ buck about every year or so. Some people are just in the right area to do it. I know the Saskguy that posts on AT from a different forum. His top 5 bucks gross over 1000 inches, and he has killed them all in the past 10ish years. He knows several people who have killed more monsters than him.

Don't assume things because of people success. However, in cases like the Cha Tefft guy-when he acts like he is some type of God to the hunting world-then I would be concerned.

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#3672437 - 05/17/14 05:30 PM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: Master Chief]
pass-thru
10 Point

Loc: va beach

I'm not talking about better than average, or older bucks. I'm talking about bucks that fall several standard deviations from the mean.

Did you ever take a statistics class? Even in better than average hunting area, if somebody is killing bucks that statistically aren't fathomable, that is an excellent indication that something is funny.

Remember that quicken loans bracket challenge....really no risk in them offering $1 billion for a perfect bracket. However, in deer hunting a number of guys claim to have beat that kind of odds. And then they get found out.

#3672444 - 05/17/14 05:55 PM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: pass-thru]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

Originally Posted By: pass-thru
I'm not talking about better than average, or older bucks. I'm talking about bucks that fall several standard deviations from the mean.

Did you ever take a statistics class? Even in better than average hunting area, if somebody is killing bucks that statistically aren't fathomable, that is an excellent indication that something is funny.

Remember that quicken loans bracket challenge....really no risk in them offering $1 billion for a perfect bracket. However, in deer hunting a number of guys claim to have beat that kind of odds. And then they get found out.

I assure you there are several people out there that have killed a couple of bucks FAR beyond just above average in a fair chase setting. The problem is people don't know what is or isn't statistically fathomable.

If I'm not mistaken, the guy only claimed to have two over 190" anyways. I know here in TN most people think deer over 130" do not exist, but some places will produce giants every year.

Edited by Master Chief (05/17/14 06:08 PM)

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#3673357 - 05/19/14 07:06 AM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: Poser]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

yep, he messed himself .

#3676776 - 05/23/14 09:25 PM Re: Faked Trophy Kills in Hunting Industry [Re: Boone 58]
MRUTVOL
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville,Tennessee,USA

This is nothing new in the professional world of hunting. About 20 yrs ago a guy by the name of Noel Feathers got caught killing BC type deer on game farms and then checking them in another state as a wild fair chase kill. He was paying upwards of $10,000 to $15,000 a deer to kill it. He was making big $$$ off sponsored products such as scents,bows,arrows,clothing and etc. Appeared in all your major hunting mags and shows. When he was taken to court he admitted to the charges and has not been heard from since. That was when I quit putting much stock in so called professional hunters and thir kills. Oh and of course who can forget the Jimmy Houston fiasco a few years ago......makes you want to puke when they call themselves professionals.
Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
148 registered (1 good shot, old guy, mrjim43, shopson, kldeerkiller, Team Passintime, 20 invisible) and 195 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93324 Topics
1089682 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.112 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.