Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 11 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#370192 - 08/29/07 08:09 AM Re: Another example of why I don't like ARs [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

You have to start somewhere AS, but once your hunters get some experience seeing 2 1/2 and older bucks, they WILL be able to learn how to identify an older buck from a yearling buck. That is the easiest age judgement to make.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#370452 - 08/29/07 10:22 AM Re: Another example of why I don't like ARs [Re: BSK]
Hillbilly Hunter
Killbilly
16 Point

Loc: Branchville

This is a good example of a mature buck that is only a 6 pter. Who in thier right mind would let him walk by?

#370494 - 08/29/07 10:42 AM Re: Another example of why I don't like ARs [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
8 POINTS OR BETTER
10 Point

Loc: Hardin, Co.

Originally Posted By: AlabamaSwamper
CullBuck,

Considering the camera data (if that is what you call it) I have for the last three years on our place, I will beg to differ.

3 years ago, we had around 6 bucks photographed that were 2.5+. This year, we are already at 12 for sure and maybe as many as 14.

And considering that our best antlered bucks haven't been taken any of the three years, I'd say any conversation of genetics is a waste of time. Three years ago, you couldn't buy a deer 2.5+. Last year, I personally saw three in what little hunting I did. I'd only seen one since 2001 on that place. Even though we have a few bigger 6pts, their presence alone will create competition which in theory, should help my chances of shooting one of those shooter bucks.

I do agree that AR's are not as good as "age" restrictions but we could go back to shooting 10 yearlings a year I guess.

AlabamaSwamper,
I agree with you 100%. My hunting place was the same way. 3 years ago not very many 2 1/2 or older deer at all. Today we have several, because of 8 point rule, but I would like to take it to the next level, age class. But man it is hard to do. I know the 8 point rule is not for every one, but for the ones that want nice deer (not all gaints), just nice 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year olds it works.

#370846 - 08/29/07 01:30 PM Re: Another example of why I don't like ARs [Re: Hillbilly Hunter]
CULLBUCK 2
4 Point

Loc: Bradley co. TN

Hillbilly, id take him in a heartbeat and most TN hunters would.Id love to be on some property bordering a lease that let that buck walk..
#371101 - 08/29/07 03:43 PM Re: Another example of why I don't like ARs [Re: CULLBUCK 2]
pastorbmp
10 Point

Loc: Wartburg,TN

AR's are MUCH MUCH better than nothing, in my opinion. No, not the best way to manage a herd...but way better than the old days of "How many bucks did you kill this year", "AH, I only killed 7, 4 spikes, forkhorn and two good 6 pointers"....boy those were the days, weren't they! \:\)

1Ti 1:15: ...Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

#371136 - 08/29/07 03:56 PM Re: Another example of why I don't like ARs [Re: pastorbmp]
BSK
Non-Typical

True pastorbmp, better than nothing.

HH, I would shoot that mature buck in a heartbeat.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#371142 - 08/29/07 03:57 PM Re: Another example of why I don't like ARs [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

HH,

By the way, your top photo versus your lower photos are the PERFECT example of why it is so hard to field-judge the age of bucks in the summertime. Look at the difference in that buck's neck-size from late August to mid-October. That's a massive difference.

#371216 - 08/29/07 04:20 PM Re: Another example of why I don't like ARs [Re: BSK]
BigGameGuy
TWRA Biologist
12 Point

Loc: Nashville

Originally Posted By: BSK
HH,

By the way, your top photo versus your lower photos are the PERFECT example of why it is so hard to field-judge the age of bucks in the summertime. Look at the difference in that buck's neck-size from late August to mid-October. That's a massive difference.

That alone leads me to believe that a LOT of these summer-time age estimate are on the low side.

#371342 - 08/29/07 05:31 PM Re: Another example of why I don't like ARs [Re: BigGameGuy]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: BigGameGuy
That alone leads me to believe that a LOT of these summer-time age estimate are on the low side.

And even ole Wes agrees with you! ;\)

And probably just as many guessed on the high side by focusing on antlers instead of teeth and/or body characteristics.
Some of these velvet bucks just look so "massive", until they shed their velvet.

I don't even profess to be able to accurately guess a buck's age during the summer.

#371380 - 08/29/07 06:03 PM Re: Another example of why I don't like ARs [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

And that's why so many think I'm crazy when I judge a buck in summer to be mature. They expect a mature buck to have a massive neck and chest, and he will have, but not for a couple months.

You have to ignore the neck and look at other features in summer, primarily ham size and depth of the brisket.

Page 4 of 11 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
99 registered (Big Pop, barkscraper, Football Hunter, imograss, Kingston, tmac, 16 invisible) and 129 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93156 Topics
1088869 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.09 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.